Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inside space
dave107

posted on 12/3/15 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Inside space

Hoping the vast knowledge from locost builders can help me.

Got a project at work were I have been given the task to get official figures on the internal cockpit area/volumes of cars , all the cars are used in motorsport. Is there somewhere I can get these figures, car sales brochure specifications show boot litres but not cockpit litres or volume.

Help please.

Dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PSpirine

posted on 12/3/15 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Not something that's usually published anywhere. Primarily as it's an entirely pointless technical dimension for a customer

Lots of variables as well - trimmed, untrimmed? doors on/off?

dave107

posted on 12/3/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for quick reply

Yes I agree not usual question you would ask in a car showroom, but this is motorsport and race cars, doors on, usually two seats no back seat normal dash but the rest pretty much stripped out, wonder if I would get any info if I phoned any race teams.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 12/3/15 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a joke task?

I doubt youll get any figures.

joneh

posted on 12/3/15 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Have you been asked to find left hand screws, a long wait etc as well?
dave107

posted on 12/3/15 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
No it's not a joke, absolutely serious, extracting someone out of a crashed car in a given time when life is at stake using special equipment, that is the task.
bi22le

posted on 12/3/15 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Do you need to collate lots of cars to compare or an average single figure to base some work on?

Depending on your backing \ resource I would consider getting yourself along to a club day \ hill climb with a measuring system. Depending on accuracy this could be quite easy. A case of measuring the external dimensions and subtracting a sensible amount will get you in the region. Especially if this is supported by more accurate measurements to prove the external dimensions to internal dimensions ratio.

A nice little project that. Should keep you tied up for a week.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

maccmike

posted on 12/3/15 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe some form of pressure test or vacuum pull could work if you seal vents and window seals with gaffer tape.

Your task has a huge amount of variables..

morcus

posted on 12/3/15 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
How accurate an answer are you looking for? Getting the pictures manufacturers put out with external dimensions would probably give a pretty close answer from calculating external volume and subtracting a reasonable amount for shell space and fittings.

THIS site seems to have some but I couldn't work out how to navigate and the dimension is in cubic feet but it might help, especially if 5 series was on your list.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

sebastiaan

posted on 13/3/15 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
These guys: https://www.ihs.com/industry/automotive.html might be able to help. Won't be cheap though....
snapper

posted on 13/3/15 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
My first inquiry would use a standard letter explaining the intent i.e. to provide data to assist Motorsport in safe extraction of people from crashed race cars, to all major manufacturers and possibly their Motorsport divisions and see what comes back

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Pojo

posted on 13/3/15 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
if this project is not on behalf of the MSA it might be worth getting in touch with them or BMMC, sometimes our yearly training involves extracting drivers from tin tops. Either of these must have relevant data.
jps

posted on 13/3/15 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave107
No it's not a joke, absolutely serious, extracting someone out of a crashed car in a given time when life is at stake using special equipment, that is the task.

Out of interest - how does knowing the internal volume of the cockpit (before it is potentially rearranged in the preceeding crash) going to be of use to this?

I'm thinking that the fire service approach to dealing with this is to cut cars apart to extract people - and to treat them in situ...?

dhutch

posted on 13/3/15 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps

Out of interest - how does knowing the internal volume of the cockpit (before it is potentially rearranged in the preceeding crash) going to be of use to this?

Was wondering the same myself,

Daniel

jps

posted on 24/3/15 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
Originally posted by jps

Was wondering the same myself,

Daniel

Seems we'll never know...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.