Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: mx5 mk3 gearbox mount issue
Wolf1e

posted on 26/3/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
mx5 mk3 gearbox mount issue

Hi guys

Go easy on my, this is my first post and probably not my last

I'm building my first ever kit car and choose the mk indy r which i got last year in October. I've only just got round to starting it a few weeks ago but it's coming along nicely. Fitted the floor last week and hoping to start fitting the suspension this weekend, apart from I'm missing the front push rods for the suspension but with a quick phone call to Danny at mk all is OK.

Right now on to the issue I have which I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm going to be running a 2.0 duratec engine with a mk3 mx5 5 speed gearbox "N7" which i have ready and waiting to be fitted when the time comes.

The issue I have is, I haven't got a gearbox mount at the rear to mount to the chassis. I have spoken to Danny at mk but he is unsure of what to use?

If anybody can help in my matter that would be great and very much appreciated. Pics would be handy to.

I'm also going to try and do a build diary as well to help other people out in the build process.

Thank you for taking the time to read

Many thanks
Ian

v8kid

posted on 27/3/15 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
Can't help I'm afraid. Does the duratec engine fit on the MX5 box OK. I thought the hole pattern on the gearbox was rotated 15 degrees towards the offside so the oil pickup position will be wrong.
Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 27/3/15 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I would guess you will need to get the engine and box in place, then fabricate a mount to fit.

Shouldn't be too hard

JAG

posted on 27/3/15 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I did exactly what CosKev said when I was fitting my MK1 MX5 1.6 engine.

The tail of the gearbox bolts into the MX5 chassis with no rubber mount, so there's no donor part you can use. I put the engine/box in the Se7en chassis and fabricated something to attach to one of the g'box mounting bolt locations and the chassis - with an engine mount rubber block in between.

The engine mount rubber is probably too firm for a gearbox mount but I don't get any 'buzz' so I'm happy

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Smoking Frog

posted on 27/3/15 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this post:-
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=184768
Not sure if it will work for you as it's a 1.6 gearbox.

kingster996

posted on 27/3/15 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look on this build thread - Duratec with 6 speed MX5 box in a Westfield, might help.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/111361-valentiniks-duratec-build/

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

Wolf1e

posted on 3/4/15 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for the replies.

Crisis over. I have found the mount which Danny and Baz had made for it at mk when they were making my chassis

Will post pic when I can upload the image

Regards
Ian

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.