Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stylus brakes
Shooter63

posted on 27/3/15 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Stylus brakes

On the test drive and on the way home from buying the car I noticed the brakes weren't that brilliant, in I had to give them a hard old shove , as a bloke that likes to brake hard and late ( by road driving stds) I wondered if there is something I can do to make them better, the car is equipped with wilwood calipers. Is there a type of pad that will improve the situation?

Shooter63

olimarler

posted on 27/3/15 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Any idea what's in them now?

I'd start with changing fluid as a start if I'd brought the car.

I've always like EBC but I know many don't.

What do you plan using the car for?

elvadelva

posted on 27/3/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth getting used to what you have before starting to alter stuff, non servo systems can be a bit of a shock but generally reward with more feel, good luck.
mark chandler

posted on 27/3/15 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Mintex 1144

[Edited on 27/3/15 by mark chandler]

Alfa145

posted on 27/3/15 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
What pedal box is it? A floor mounted one with bias bar or a butchered sierra one?

I have Mintex 1144 pads on my stylus but on the M16 callipers and it stops pretty well

Just refresh the brake fluid as I guess you don't know when it was done last and in bleeding it properly might remove some air. See if that improves the pedal to start with. That's the cheapest option to start.

[Edited on 27/3/15 by Alfa145]

Shooter63

posted on 28/3/15 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
What pedal box is it? A floor mounted one with bias bar or a butchered sierra one?

I have Mintex 1144 pads on my stylus but on the M16 callipers and it stops pretty well

Just refresh the brake fluid as I guess you don't know when it was done last and in bleeding it properly might remove some air. See if that improves the pedal to start with. That's the cheapest option to start.

[Edited on 27/3/15 by Alfa145]

The car is fitted with floor mounted peddles and a bias bar, the peddle is nice and hard so I doubt it has air in the system, next time I drive the car I'll do some brake testing on a quiet road. If was just the fact that I couldn't get the wheels to lock that worried me and the stopping didn't seem that great. As I'm not going to drive the car that much if the car eats pads and discs but stops well that will be fine.

Shooter

britishtrident

posted on 28/3/15 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Changing the fluid will not help although changing for nice fresh DO4 or DOT5.1 should be a normal service routine.

It is probably a pad material and/or master cylinder bore issue.

A few forum members have reported problems with EBC pads lacking bite.
Mintex M1144 has been the pad material of choice for a long while, when you fit the pads check the pistons are moving freely in the callipers.
If you want more improvement look at fitting a smaller bore master cylinder in the front circuit.

[Edited on 28/3/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.