Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how can i get my tracking done?
dano

posted on 30/3/15 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
how can i get my tracking done?

My car is on the road but haven't had my tracking done properly, just roughly pointed the wheels forward for the IVA.
Im getting all the little jobs done ready for summer I want to get the tracking sorted properly, the car is a Dax rush and I think they are normally tracked to 0 degress.
The problem is, I've been to two garages now that cant do the tracking because there equipment wont fit under my cycle wing arches, which are very snug on the rush, I don't want to remove these as they are bonded on.
Is there anywhere that uses different equipment that will suit or will I be better off playing with string and laser pens in the garage?

Thanks Dan

wylliezx9r

posted on 30/3/15 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know exactly how the dax rush cycle wings work, but surely you must be able to take the cycle wing bracket and arch off as one piece ? Get the tracking done and then re-fit ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

J-16

posted on 30/3/15 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've just done my alignment using the string method after the local tire shop couldn't get it right after three attempts.

Steering wheel is now perfectly straight and the car handles well, will keep an eye on tyre wear.

Next time I will use fishing line and a digital caliper to improve the accuracy.

dano

posted on 30/3/15 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I cant remove the cycle wing bracket, its sort of bolts between the top of the upright and top wishbone ball joint, so wouldn't really work with out it,
do any garages use different equipment that doesn't hook over the top of the tyre?

The Black Flash

posted on 30/3/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
A local motorsport place did my Rush, didn't mention any problems. They advertise that they do work on Caterhams so that's why I went there. But maybe they just used a piece of string :-/
Might be worth looking for that sort of garage though rather than a normal one?

Madinventions

posted on 30/3/15 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I used a local garage that I found using this site: http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/
They had a Hunter jig and did a full 4 wheel alignment and did not need to hang off the top of the tyre. Maybe worth checking if there's one near you?

Failing that, a decent level floor with 4 axle stands and some string can give very sensible results if you're patient and careful.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

Brian R

posted on 30/3/15 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Try and find somebody with a pair of these. More modern ones are similar but use lasers.

http://www.interex.co.uk/motorsport/content/images/products/AGO40_v2.jpg

mcerd1

posted on 30/3/15 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
I don't know exactly how the dax rush cycle wings work...

The stays on the Sierra based Rush are welded on as part on the mushrooms, so removing isn't going to work

As above the answer is to find a place with better / more modern tools

Procomp aren't all that far from you and they'd setup far more than just the tracking

[Edited on 30/3/2015 by mcerd1]

-

loggyboy

posted on 30/3/15 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Buy one of these (or make one of these out of some ally and some threaded rod)

http://www.premiermotorsportdevelopments.co.uk/adjustable-tracking-gauge-620-p.asp

Mistral Motorsport

DJT

posted on 30/3/15 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I used two 15mm copper pipe lengths and some bright orange fishing line. Drilled very small holes in the pipes, near the ends, at equal distances to hold the strings parallel down the sides of the car. Clamped the pipes to axle stands in front and behind the car at wheel centre level. Adjusted the pipe positions until the string to wheel centres distances were even, using a steel rule marked in mm. Then measured the outside front and rear of each rim to the string. Adjusted each wheel geometry as necessary.

It might not be absolutely perfect, but I'm fairly sure it is quite accurate. For sure, it is miles better than the original guess settings used to build the car and I'm not going to take it to Quik Fit and have somebody hacking away underneath with an adjustable spanner trying to adjust the rear rose joints. Plus it was very satisfying to do it myself and I can re-adjust myself whenever I need to.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 30/3/15 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.merityre.co.uk/wheel-alignment

have done mine before - don't recall them having to get under the wheel arch, the tool hung on the rim if I remember correctly.

not sure if there is one close enough to you tho.

dano

posted on 30/3/15 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the suggestions guys,
I've found a couple places about 5miles away that seem to be better equipped, I try them first.
I do plan to go Procomp, but was going to wait till after I've refurbished my suspension next winter,

whitestu

posted on 30/3/15 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Trakrite which seems to do the job perfectly.

They cost about £40

posted on 30/3/15 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I keep meaning to make a gauge. Needs to be this shape.

[__________]

The tops need to be threaded so they adjust up onto the wheel rim half way up the wheel.
Set to the rearmost part of the rim, then transfer to the forward edge of the rim.
It would be easy with an assistant. (wife)

Paul G

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 30/3/15 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
String, and care, will give you superb results.

The three cars that I've set up on string, were later placed on a John Bean laser bench. Absolutely no difference in the numerical output.

You can start from the basics with a stripped chassis, cross the suspension points to find the centre-line of the chassis, taking measurements from that. This is the starting point for the repair you'll need to do when you plant the car into the wall at Quarry Corner.

Just take care. Get some good spirit levels for camber, castor and bump steer.

cliftyhanger

posted on 31/3/15 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Can anybody share a link to the string method for tracking? and castor, I am struggling to get my head round that too. Camber is easy enough with a string inclinometer.....that I can do!
J-16

posted on 31/3/15 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look on YouTube, there are lots of vids under DIY Wheel Alignment
02GF74

posted on 31/3/15 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

[__________]

The tops need to be threaded so they adjust up onto the wheel rim half way up the wheel.
Set to the rearmost part of the rim, then transfer to the forward edge of the rim.

Paul G

I made a wooden frame like thay, bits of coat hanger wire on the ends that can be bent.

It slips in from the front and contacts the rim front and rear.

posted on 31/3/15 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by 907

[__________]

Paul G

I made a wooden frame like thay, bits of coat hanger wire on the ends that can be bent.

It slips in from the front and contacts the rim front and rear.

Did my wife help you then ?

It's just that she didn't mention it.

Paul G

loggyboy

posted on 31/3/15 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

[__________]

Paul G

Like the link I posted above?

I made one like below, which was an adaption of the one you describe that my dad had already made, which needed 2 people. This one only needs 1, and can also be used to measure camber.

Only issue with mine is it needed some well made connections/triangulation to keep it from flexing.

[Edited on 31-3-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

mark chandler

posted on 31/3/15 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
String is the way forwards

Another solution is to use a laser level, park the car 10 ft from a wall pointing directly at it.

Tape a couple of nuts to the laser level at the wheel rim width so you can hold the laser against the wheel not the tyres crossing the centre, now point at the wall and draw a line where the dot is, repeat on the other side.

Now measure the width of the wheels, add the distance of the nut to the laser x 2 and if they are the same width as the lines on the wall the wheels are parallel.

Use a bit of trig and you can then work out the toe in that you require.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.