Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA Kits and Rebuilds and NOVA Proof
rdodger

posted on 10/4/15 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Am I missing something?

If you buy a kit you get a receipt?

Build your own chassis you have a receipt for the steel?

Don't these show nothing is due duty as it isn't imported

ctwv50

posted on 10/4/15 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Am I missing something?

If you buy a kit you get a receipt?

Build your own chassis you have a receipt for the steel?

Don't these show nothing is due duty as it isn't imported

This is the point! You're not missing anything. Keep your fingers crossed that common sense prevails.

ctwv50

posted on 13/4/15 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
OK so NOVA have come back to me asking for some questions to be completed because my vehicle is a "kit converted vehicle"?? Why, I do not know. BUT there is a section in the NOVA document that mentions Kit Cars believe it or not! I don't understand why but I've done as they've asked but also asked for an explanation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-information-sheet-0613-notification-of-vehicle-arrivals/vat-information-sheet-0613-notification-of-vehi cle-arrivals#notification-not-required

"Kit Cars
If the components within the kit would be sufficient to constitute a complete vehicle if already assemble (see above) the Kit car must be notified into NOVA by a VAT registered business. If the Kit is imported from a country outside of the EU by a private individual Customs duty and import VAT will be payable and HMRC will make the NOVA notification on your behalf from the import declaration."

ctwv50

posted on 13/4/15 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
OK I think I have found the section that kits fall into in our cases.

"In some instances a VAT registered business or non-VAT registered business/private individual (where required) may have insufficient information to make an electronic notification into NOVA, because the restoration project may have commenced before the introduction of NOVA or the vehicle was purchased in the UK partially restored and they do not know the origin of the imported vehicle and were not given any documentation showing the vehicle has been already notified into NOVA. In such circumstances a paper NOVA 1 form should be submitted, completed as fully as possible with the information available. Copies of the receipts for parts you have purchased should be included to prove that the vehicle is a restoration project."

BUT still it's says imported vehicle! IT is NOT an imported vehicle! oh ok....

"because the restoration project may have commenced before the introduction of NOVA " This is me I fall into this category, NOVA introduction was April 2013, I started my build and received my VIN in Aug 2011.

Still doesn't make any sense to me. ??? WHY!!!! Is still my question.

ianhurley20

posted on 13/4/15 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Link wouldn't work for me so this one will

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-information-sheet-0613-notification-of-vehicle-arrivals/vat-information-sheet-0613-notification-of-vehi cle-arrivals#notification-not-required

No it will not! the board inserts a space just where the underline stops. Copy, paste and delete the space and it will work.

Chris - I've just tried reading it and can make very little sense of it. I hope you get someone to see sense.
Ian

[Edited on 13/4/15 by ianhurley20]

avagolen

posted on 13/4/15 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Looking through the Nova form referred to in the previous comment, there is a paragraph that quotes as follows.

Note (iv) New vehicles registered and licensed using a V55/4 that are not vehicle imports

Certain vehicles that are newly manufactured in the UK are registered and licensed using a V55/4 form even though they are not vehicle imports. If this is the case then no NOVA notification is required if you provide the DVLA with a letter from the manufacturer clearly confirming that the vehicle has been manufactured in the UK.

Could you not get a letter from the manufacturer of your kit
or even write it yourself if you have done a scratch build.

Len (v55/4 already received by DVLA last Friday)

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

ctwv50

posted on 14/4/15 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avagolen
Looking through the Nova form referred to in the previous comment, there is a paragraph that quotes as follows.

Note (iv) New vehicles registered and licensed using a V55/4 that are not vehicle imports

Certain vehicles that are newly manufactured in the UK are registered and licensed using a V55/4 form even though they are not vehicle imports. If this is the case then no NOVA notification is required if you provide the DVLA with a letter from the manufacturer clearly confirming that the vehicle has been manufactured in the UK.

Could you not get a letter from the manufacturer of your kit
or even write it yourself if you have done a scratch build.

Len (v55/4 already received by DVLA last Friday)

I was sent a v55/5, but there is no harm in trying a letter from yourself confirming it is not an import if it helps them tick that box! I think we fall under this kit converted cars "grey area" though.

chris-g

posted on 14/4/15 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps this one for the Parliamentary Ombudsman to have a look into.
adithorp

posted on 14/4/15 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Did you not send a V267 declartion of newness form with it? That lists source of all parts and usually receipts attached for them and would show none of it was imported.
It's a new one on me; Have you heard of anybody else who's had the same issue?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ctwv50

posted on 15/4/15 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Did you not send a V267 declartion of newness form with it? That lists source of all parts and usually receipts attached for them and would show none of it was imported.
It's a new one on me; Have you heard of anybody else who's had the same issue?

Yep. Only one other over on haynes forum and the lady at DVLA just said ignore it and send the letter back. I'm now dealing with the "Personal Transport Unit Technical Support"! Whoever the F*** they are and they are processing something, I'm not sure, I asked if he could explain why all this was necessary and he just said "It's the only way to get your car registered." I said "So every car VIN has to be on the "Notification Of Vehicle arrivals" Database?" He said "I can't answer that of the top of my head"

I've asked 5 different people WHY? and non can answer my question.

ctwv50

posted on 15/4/15 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
New email from them today.....

"Dear Mr ???????

Please confirm the actual age/year of manufacture of the chassis itself. Please also confirm how much you paid specifically for the chassis. It is unclear from the invoices you have already provided if it is among them.

Yours sincerely"

My patience is running thin now!

Davedew

posted on 15/4/15 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Did you not complete a V627/1 form stating that the chassis was new?
That along with a receipt stating that the steel you purchased was for a new chassis should have been adequate to prove age and newness.

What have you tried to register the car as?
Did the chassis steel receipt state it was for the same make / model of car?
I edited my receipts slightly before sending them last year to remove all confusion what they were for.

ctwv50

posted on 15/4/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davedew
Did you not complete a V627/1 form stating that the chassis was new?
That along with a receipt stating that the steel you purchased was for a new chassis should have been adequate to prove age and newness.

What have you tried to register the car as?
Did the chassis steel receipt state it was for the same make / model of car?
I edited my receipts slightly before sending them last year to remove all confusion what they were for.

Yes I did complete the V627/1 stating the chassis was new.

Here's the receipt....

image removed as it made the page super wide?!?

A little ambigiuos I suppose as I called I registered a "Watson Super 7"

I think the main issue is I had a VIN number supplied by The DVLA in Preston in 2011 when I started building the chassis, in April 2013 NOVA was introduced, and I finished building my car in 2014 passing the IVA in 2015. The chassis was completed in early 2014.

Read this................

http://fbhvc.co.uk/about-us/news/_article/22/hmrc-issues-guidelines-for-registering-restoration-projects-imported-prior-to-nova/

[Edited on 15/4/15 by ctwv50]

Davedew

posted on 15/4/15 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't make a lot of sense really.

I made up my own VIN number which was approved by my local office in 2011. Car was finished and IVA'd April 2014.

I sent a copy of the letter I had form my local DVLA office when I registered in May 2014 and it all went through without a problem.

ctwv50

posted on 15/4/15 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davedew
Doesn't make a lot of sense really.

I made up my own VIN number which was approved by my local office in 2011. Car was finished and IVA'd April 2014.

I sent a copy of the letter I had form my local DVLA office when I registered in May 2014 and it all went through without a problem.

Well I was told by a DVLA member of the K&R team that they should of been sending people off to the HMRC/NOVA/PTU department since April 2013 but they hadn't, probably because they had no idea why, BUT now they are and they still don't know why. I just wish someone would just tick box A or box B, I don't care which box they tick, just tick one of them so I can get my car on the road.

ctwv50

posted on 16/4/15 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
OK I just spoke to the PTU to make sure there was no confusion over my application and was informed they have received all the necessary information to start keying it in! Only taken a week mind, and I managed to get mine marked as urgent by complaining to the NOVA Team which was nice of them!! This all probably seems like I'm making this stuff up as it just gets stranger and stranger. I hope no one else has to go through this nonsense, literally NON SENSE!

Still don't know why I'm going through this for sure.

avagolen

posted on 16/4/15 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Great news. My application still not arrivef at 'Kits and Rebuilds' department.

ctwv50

posted on 16/4/15 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Great news. My application still not arrivef at 'Kits and Rebuilds' department.

Did you send it recorded delivery (signed for)?

If so you can track it here.

https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item

HTH

They asked me for the tracking number to check if it arrived initially.

avagolen

posted on 16/4/15 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yes. It arrived last Friday at 3:30.....

Phoned again today and the paperwork is now being processed . Yippeeeee.

[Edited on 16/4/15 by avagolen]

ctwv50

posted on 17/4/15 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes. It arrived last Friday at 3:30.....

Phoned again today and the paperwork is now being processed . Yippeeeee.

[Edited on 16/4/15 by avagolen]

Good News!

ctwv50

posted on 20/4/15 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
More good news, NOVA/HMRC/PTU/WHATEVER have finished with me and I can now continue to register my car. Got straight back to DVLA and gave them my chassis's NOVA number/reference for them to check. Just waiting now for a call and the then the road tax cheque to be cashed.

40inches

posted on 21/4/15 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ctwv50
More good news, NOVA/HMRC/PTU/WHATEVER have finished with me and I can now continue to register my car. Got straight back to DVLA and gave them my chassis's NOVA number/reference for them to check. Just waiting now for a call and the then the road tax cheque to be cashed.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else needs to jump through the same hoops

ReMan

posted on 21/4/15 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by ctwv50

It will be interesting to see if anyone else needs to jump through the same hoops

Definitely. It certainly looked like a "new one" on us here the very mention of Nova, well ever since the VW pop top kit anyway

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ctwv50

posted on 24/4/15 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
It will be interesting and anybody else asked to do it should ask WHY?

Got this in the post today.....

What a surprise! No VAT due!

Even this letter is not accurate.

Relevant? Schedule 11 paragraph 2 parts

"(4)Regulations under this paragraph may make provision in relation to cases where—

(a)any goods which are subject to a duty of excise or consist in a new means of transport are acquired in the United Kingdom from another member State by any person;

(b)the acquisition of the goods is a taxable acquisition and is not in pursuance of a taxable supply; and

(c)that person is not a taxable person at the time of the acquisition,

for requiring the person who acquires the goods to give to the Commissioners such notification of the acquisition, and for requiring any VAT on the acquisition to be paid, at such time and in such form or manner as may be specified in the regulations.
(5)Regulations under this paragraph may provide for a notification required by virtue of sub-paragraph (4) above—

(a)to contain such particulars relating to the notified acquisition and any VAT chargeable thereon as may be specified in the regulations; and

(b)to be given, in prescribed cases, by the personal representative, trustee in bankruptcy, interim or permanent trustee, receiver, liquidator or person otherwise acting in a representative capacity in relation to the person who makes that acquisition."

There is no paragraph 2 (5D) or (5C) for that matter!

Here is a section from the NOVA document that again doesn't apply to me!

"How will component parts brought in from either insider or outside of the EU for incorporation into a restoration project be treated?

If a business or private individual buys new or used component parts (from suppliers outside of the EU or from another Member state of the EU) and these parts are incorporated in to a restoration project vehicle which will eventually be licensed and registered by the DVLA, a NOVA declaration will not be required.

Component parts that are imported from a country outside of the EU will be liable to import VAT and customs duty and should be correctly classified at the time of importation.

Component parts imported into the UK from a another member state of the EU may be subject to acquisition tax but this will depend on the tax status of the goods at the time of supply and whether the supply is to a VAT registered business or a business not VAT registered or a private individual.

Where a chassis (or frame) with sufficient major components are imported from outside the EU or from another Member State in the same consignment (as discussed above) they will not be regarded as component parts for NOVA purposes."

And the little bit about kit cars. I think some numpty has rread this section and thought "Right all kit cars then!" not realising it is under the section IMPORTED PARTS!!! contained within a document called NOTIFICATION OF VEHICLE ARRIVALS!!!

"Kit Cars
If the components within the kit would be sufficient to constitute a complete vehicle if already assemble (see above) the Kit car must be notified into NOVA by a VAT registered business. If the Kit is imported from a country outside of the EU by a private individual Customs duty and import VAT will be payable and HMRC will make the NOVA notification on your behalf from the import declaration."

This is the only bit that could possibly apply to me but (1) it isn't a restoration, (2) There is no evidence it came from outside the UK!!! I still don't get it!

"How do I make a NOVA notification for a restoration project vehicle?

If a complete vehicle or component parts with the essential characteristics of a vehicle are imported from outside of the EU, a VAT registered business must make a NOVA notification. However, the HMRC NCH will make the notification on behalf of private individuals or non-VAT registered businesses.

If a complete vehicle or component parts with the essential characteristics of a complete vehicle are brought to the UK from another member state of the EU the NOVA notification must be made irrespective of whether the vehicle is brought in by a VAT registered business, non-VAT registered business or private individual.

In some instances a VAT registered business or non-VAT registered business/private individual (where required) may have insufficient information to make an electronic notification into NOVA, because the restoration project may have commenced before the introduction of NOVA or the vehicle was purchased in the UK partially restored and they do not know the origin of the imported vehicle and were not given any documentation showing the vehicle has been already notified into NOVA. In such circumstances a paper NOVA 1 form should be submitted, completed as fully as possible with the information available. Copies of the receipts for parts you have purchased should be included to prove that the vehicle is a restoration project."

[Edited on 24/4/15 by ctwv50]

ctwv50

posted on 29/4/15 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Got my reg number today got updated cover note, just waiting for the V5 ref before getting reg plates made and then woo hoo I'll be on the road.
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.