Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb to distributor vacuum
bumpy

posted on 12/4/15 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Carb to distributor vacuum

On my Pinto engine with Weber 32/36 carb I noticed, when doing the ignition timing, that there was no change to the timing position or engine revs whether the vac line on the distributor was connected or not.

I checked the vacuum pull at the carb by putting a wet finger over the opening of the pipe and it seemed OK (but perhaps not great). I also sucked by mouth on a tube connected to the distributor and could watch the vac advance working.

I can get a cheap vac gauge off ebay but have no idea what the vac reading should be at the carb - does anyone know?

Also any other suggestions as to what is going on?

Thanks

Is it normal that a good vacuum at 1000-1200 rpm could reduce to a poor vacuum at 800rpm. If not, where should I be looking?

[Edited on 12/4/15 by bumpy]

britishtrident

posted on 12/4/15 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
High (ie lowest pressure) vacuum occurs at low throttle openning with a light engine load. With the throttle fully open manifold vacuum is only slightly below ambient atmospheric pressure.
At idle with the throttle closed vacuum advance should be near maximum. With the vac advance connected snap the throttle open at idle and then ignition advance should initially fall back then advance as the centrifugal advance takes over.

Maximum vac occurs on the over run under engine braking.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bumpy

posted on 12/4/15 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
High (ie lowest pressure) vacuum occurs at low throttle openning with a light engine load. With the throttle fully open manifold vacuum is only slightly below ambient atmospheric pressure.
At idle with the throttle closed vacuum advance should be near maximum. With the vac advance connected snap the throttle open at idle and then ignition advance should initially fall back then advance as the centrifugal advance takes over.

Is it normal to have a good vacuum at say 1000 to 1200 rpm which can work the dist advance and then drops off to a poor vacuum at 800 rpm which cant work the dist advance?

If not, where should I bee looking

r1_pete

posted on 13/4/15 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bumpy
quote:

Is it normal to have a good vacuum at say 1000 to 1200 rpm which can work the dist advance and then drops off to a poor vacuum at 800 rpm which cant work the dist advance?

It depends on the carb and the original design, some installations the vacuum port on the carb is blanked by the throttle butterfly at tickover, then as soon as you open it a little, you get max vacuum.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bumpy

posted on 13/4/15 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
quote:
Originally posted by bumpy
quote:

It depends on the carb and the original design, some installations the vacuum port on the carb is blanked by the throttle butterfly at tickover, then as soon as you open it a little, you get max vacuum.

Thanks Pete, that's exactly what we've discovered by having a look at the 32/36 off the car.

The vacuum take off for the distributor is close to, but very slightly above the throttle butterfly. At 800 rpm the vac hole is not exposed to the full vacuum that exists below the throttle plate.

As the butterfly opens a bit at 1000+rpm the hole is exposed and the effective vacuum increases

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.