Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What engine? Fireblade or ZZR1400
f27

posted on 15/4/15 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
What engine? Fireblade or ZZR1400

Hi,

Following on from my other thread I've had some great, but conflicting advice on which to go for.

I'm fitting a new engine to my car and looking at either the ZZR1400 or Fireblade 1000 2008 onwards.

Car is a formula 27, used to have a blackbird 1100cc and weighed under 500kg. I will mainly be using it for road use and track days, and eventually want to get into hill climbs.

I am really after peoples opinions on the two engines and why you chose one of them (if you did!)

Thanks in advance

[Edited on 15/4/15 by f27]

SOLD - F27 Blackbird, F27 ZZR1400, MK Indy Hayabusa, 3 750MC Crossflow Locosts, Ultima GTR - currently got a MX5 powered Locost racing car

Ivan

posted on 15/4/15 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
If hill climbing is your ultimate aim then I would have a serious look at what's competitive in the various classes, decide which class I would be most competitive and comfortable in and choose the motor accordingly. Whichever motor you choose the car should still be fun on the street. whatever you do don't fit a motor that doesn't have a good history in hill climbs.

The other deciding factor is - do you spend most of the time on roads and/or track days one up or two up - if two up go for the biggest motor as the smaller ones struggle with the extra weight (relatively).

CosKev3

posted on 15/4/15 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Andy Bates has a lot of experience and has supplied plenty of info on your other thread, who have you spoken to with more bec experience that has said the zzr engine will be better?
f27

posted on 15/4/15 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Spoken to a few people including Malc at Yorkshire Engines and a fair few owners who have recommended the ZZR over the Fireblade. The only reason I'm asking this and still debating it is because I value Andy Bates' opinion and know he champions the Fireblade. I was really hoping to hear from people who have faced the same debate and hear their thoughts on why they chose the engine they did.

SOLD - F27 Blackbird, F27 ZZR1400, MK Indy Hayabusa, 3 750MC Crossflow Locosts, Ultima GTR - currently got a MX5 powered Locost racing car

fesycresy

posted on 15/4/15 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought the torque of the 1400 better for hill climbs than the 1 litre blade.

Every blade engine (later models) I've seen installed has the air box sticking out a mile. I think its a tall engine due to the gearbox and secondary injectors, but stand to be corrected.

Normally agree with 100% Andy has to say, but on this occasion if it were my car, I'd be going 1400.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

daniel mason

posted on 15/4/15 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
If hillclimbing, in my opinion it would be more cost effective to sell your car complete and look at purchasing something well established on the hills/ sprints. A standard-ish car on the hills would be very difficult to compete with the others out there.
Especially when you factor in the cost of an engine install to the f27! I'd imagine either of your options will be north of £5k to install by the time your finished! But if your car is already pretty well developed then it may be worthwhile fitting one of the engines you mention.
The caterham hillclimbers tend to stick with the dry sumped hayabusa which are easily tuned and prove a very quick reliable package,with plenty of grunt to pull out of the slower tighter bends. The wet field guys I know vary between the busa and the blade. All of which are very quick too!

kev super 6

posted on 15/4/15 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I had 893 carbed fire blade in my Fury, done loads of miles with that engine and it didn't miss a beat. It started to get tired and considering the engine was 20yrs old I decided to got for a later blade (08). These engines are truly bomb proof, I had 2up down to Le Mans and it pulled like a train. These engines are tall and mine sticks out the bonnet, not sure if the later 09 onwards are as tall . HTh
kev super 6

posted on 15/4/15 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
You could buy my Fury which would be the same price as an engine install
skippad

posted on 15/4/15 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 893 blade in my MK and it was ok but i wanted something with more grunt... i was going to install zx12 till a mate spotted the zzr 1400 in Yorkshire Engines and convinced me this was the 'one', the bike had been out a year or so and i liked the idea of installing one.
That was 2008, i think i was one of the first to install engine in a 7 (there was another guy doing Scottish hillclimbing (a member on here paublo999) in a MNR and did very well that year......and its been a very good reliable engine and brilliant for road and track, a very flexible torquey engine suited to town driving as well.... yeah it is the 'one'

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skippad

posted on 15/4/15 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
F27.....if you search for paublo999 in members list , he has a website MNR Ninja with loads of pics and vids of zzr1400
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 15/4/15 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
That's a quick car is Paul's. But it's one of many on the hills! Darren Luke's caterham hayabusa for example and terry ever all and tim nuns westy blades. All epic
Flick

posted on 17/4/15 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I was in same boat last year.
If your considering competing eventually, likes of Andy B as backup/phone call away, could be very useful with the blade. Also - trodden path with likes of Terry Everall and Tim Nunn .
For these reasons I went 2011 blade. Although for road use I'd probably go with the kwak.

If you do go blade, avoid 2008 engine.

kev super 6

posted on 18/4/15 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
What's wrong with the 08 engines ?
daniel mason

posted on 18/4/15 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I'm aware.if the recall has been done (which it should have) there should be no issues with an 08 blade
daniel mason

posted on 18/4/15 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Check uphillracers. There's a nice westy race car just come for sale at a good price! That would be a good starting point on the hills

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.