Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC battery
greavesy7

posted on 15/4/15 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
BEC battery

Can you run any type of car battery on a BEC ??

was running a power vamp 25 but it failed last night !

coozer

posted on 15/4/15 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
It failed? What happened?

Was it spectacular?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

CosKev3

posted on 15/4/15 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah.a lot of people moan about the extra weight of a car battery though!
Fatgadget

posted on 15/4/15 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greavesy7
Can you run any type of car battery on a BEC ??

was running a power vamp 25 but it failed last night !

Supercapacitors!..check this out

coozer

posted on 15/4/15 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, I looked into the capacitor route.. But, where can we buy super capacitors cheap enough in this country???

The yanks get them cheap bit here???

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 15/4/15 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
As rough guide batteries for engines 1000 to 1300cc need to be rated at 280 cca minimimum most small car batteries are rated about 340cca
The Amp Hours capacity rating depends on the pattern of your your useage but Caterham use 30AH, you probably won't find many car batteries with a smaller capacity.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

russbost

posted on 15/4/15 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
A bit more tried & tested than capacitors!

Link

5% discount for LCB just give us a ring 07905 879407

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
40inches

posted on 15/4/15 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Varta B34 330ca, smallish for a car battery and the bike engine kept it charged without a problem.
I also fitted a 250amp Megafuse.

[Edited on 15-4-15 by 40inches]

britishtrident

posted on 15/4/15 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at this http://www.tayna.co.uk/YTX20-BS-Westco-Motorcycle-Battery-P3391.html

[Edited on 15/4/15 by britishtrident]

[/I]

olimarler

posted on 15/4/15 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
When I first got the BEC I had no end of trouble with the battery. Was a nightmare. Went through 2/3 bike batteries. (Yes charge rate was all ok and car behaved ok)
If I didn't get it started on the first time would not really start.

Got a battery off eBay for about 45 pound think they do one with a charger for 70 ish
Never missed a beet now.
The battery was a powervamp.
They are lot lighter than car battery and similar size to bike battery

britishtrident

posted on 15/4/15 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
CCA is a rather odd measurement because it is based on the amps a battery can supply at a specified low temperature for a specified time before the voltage drops below a specified cut off voltage.
Par for the course the North American SAE, European DIN and Japanese measurement methods are totally different.

I have always used a traditional high current load tester for battery testing but I am increasing wary of using them especially on modern sealed batteries.
As the big Varta tintop battery was given a hard time over the winter, flattened to 10.2v having been drained by parasitic current due six weeks without being used or charged I decided to join the 21st century and blow £50 on a Ring RB50 digital battery analyser.
I am really very pleased with it it provides an percentage estimation of the charge capacity of the battery relative to a new pristine battery and an estimate of the remaining CCA.
It has given me reassurance I can fly off to Italy without coming back to a flat battery.

Battery Analyser Ring RB50
Battery Analyser Ring RB50

[Edited on 15/4/15 by britishtrident]

[/I]

The Huff

posted on 16/4/15 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Re: car batteries and bike regulators

Answer of - yes, small car battery no problem. People get the idea that too large a battery overwhelms the bike-style regulator, but it is not true*. I ran a 38AH VW Polo-size battery on an R1 for a year or so with no issues (quite the opposite - *instant* start) and it lives on in the garage as the jump pack.

I only tried this because my R1 (5PW) burnt a stator, as they do, and I bought the smallest car batt available nearby to get home running total loss - no probs, despite 2hrs+ home! I then replaced the stator, left the battery - no problem. Got paranoid about the weight so the last 18months have run the recommended Yuasa r1 replacement without any issues. But I also now have a small LED voltmeter on the dash (under a fiver from amazon) that comes on with the battery isolator switch, and it is invaluable - if only to know for sure that running the fan and the headlights at idle causes no problem

*Bike regs are shunt regulators, that is, when the alternator's rectified DC output runs too high, they selectively short-out the stator windings to clamp the output voltage - sounds brutal but it is pretty efficient, actually (near-0v winding output * however large current = very small loss). This system is totally blind to load support on the output side - has no problem at all supplying a battery as large as you like, or a huge draw; it only acts when total system voltage gets too high. Stick a 'scope on such a system running even a 100AH car battery, it is informative

What is *not* a good idea is jump-starting such a bike system from a car with a running engine - because it will try to load-down the cars (compartively- huge) alternator output and burn out; the cars alternator will do anything to maintain its voltage output, using field regulation, and will win. If you must jump from another vehicle's battery, simply don't start its engine.

[Edited on 16/4/15 by The Huff]

bigfoot4616

posted on 17/4/15 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

Link

i'm in need of a new battery now, one of the terminals is broken on mine. current one is a bike battery on a 5VY R1 motor.

as its 99% a track car how small a lithium battery do you think i could get away with?

olimarler

posted on 18/4/15 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
quote:

Link

i'm in need of a new battery now, one of the terminals is broken on mine. current one is a bike battery on a 5VY R1 motor.

as its 99% a track car how small a lithium battery do you think i could get away with?

The powervamp battery is a great battery and good price

Oli

russbost

posted on 18/4/15 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Link

Recommended battery as standard for the 5VY R1 is the LIPO10A, CCA 210A £128.45, weighs 900g however you could certainly get away with something smaller/lower CCA. Providing you're still running an alternator, then as soon as the engine is running the battery is no longer doing any work other than recharging, so it's simply a question of having something adequate to start the engine & have sufficient reserve that if it doesn't start on first few attempts then you are able to fault find without getting a flat battery in no time.

Simply for the above reason I wouldn't recommend going ridiculously small, the LIPO12E gives CCA of 180A at £115.90, so saves you a few bob, but still 900g, smallest I could possibly suggest going to would be Lipo07A CCA 140A £104.95, weighs 600g, tho' pesonally I would only go that small if I was going to have a backup/boost battery available for initial start

All above prices I can do 5% off the battery price & all the above INCLUDE P & P, what a lot of people seem to be missing is that prices & CCA's are very similar to the Powervamp, but the LIPO's are around 1/3 of the weight!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
bigfoot4616

posted on 18/4/15 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
not even thinking about a powervamp, the standard bike battery has done me well for the last 7 years and it didn't look very new when i got the car. i would just get another normal cheap bike battery but the LIPO's seem to be a relatively cheap way to save weight.

decision time now, the 210A or the 140A and backup battery. are any of the booster packs ok to use with the LIPO batteries? also if it fires up immediately on the button which it always does i assume the 140A would still start it?
only downside i can see is if i read it properly i wont be able to use my ctek maintenance charger on one?

do you have both of the ones i mention above in stock?

rodgling

posted on 18/4/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have one of Russ's LIPO batteries, it's really good. Doesn't lose it's charge if unused for a long time, and easily starts my 3.2l engine, no issues with it in about a year of use. I've got the largest one which is 1.4 kg if I remember rightly.

[Edited on 18/4/15 by rodgling]

russbost

posted on 18/4/15 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
not even thinking about a powervamp, the standard bike battery has done me well for the last 7 years and it didn't look very new when i got the car. i would just get another normal cheap bike battery but the LIPO's seem to be a relatively cheap way to save weight.

decision time now, the 210A or the 140A and backup battery. are any of the booster packs ok to use with the LIPO batteries? also if it fires up immediately on the button which it always does i assume the 140A would still start it?
only downside i can see is if i read it properly i wont be able to use my ctek maintenance charger on one?

do you have both of the ones i mention above in stock?

Yes, both in stock, but even if we go out of stock can normally replace stock next day. No problem with using any normal battery powered booster pack, but don't use one of the big garage type mains boosters as you must not exceed 14.5V when charging & some of those boost chargers put out around 18V. I'm sure the 140A would start it, but you may get a shorter life from the battery than normal (usually good for 2000 cycles, about 4 - 5 times that of lead acid). I've not used the ctek charger, as long as it doesn't go into an anti-sulphation cycle (which it shouldn't because they automatically recognise that requirement IIRC) then it should be fine, if you have any doubts, just put a voltmeter across it & check what it's charging it too, as long as under 14.5V it will be fine.

bigfoot4616

posted on 20/4/15 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
think i'll go for the 12E as that's the best fit in the space i have.
my charger does have a desulphation cycle but if i understand you correctly it should still be ok, could you check the user manual at the bottom of this link and let me know what you think?

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/XS%200.8

if you could U2U me payment details and amount i will get payment sorted tomorrow or wednesday.

thanks

russbost

posted on 21/4/15 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Theoretically these automatic chargers should only ever go into the anti - sulphation cycle if they recognise the battery needs it, but they were of course designed b4 Li Ion batteries were around so you can never be 100% certain. However so far as I can see from the manual the anti sulphation cycle is still only at 14.4V so can't do any harm.

I will send U2U shortly.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.