Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD. Lambretta gear shift!!
owelly

posted on 16/4/15 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
WTD. Lambretta gear shift!!

I've been asked to help convert a 900 Diversion trike for a paraplegic bloke to use. Most of the bits are sorted but the gear change still needs resolving. I've started to build an electric shift using a couple of central locking servos but then I had one of those lightbulb moments! Lambrettas use a twisty handlebar thing for the clutch lever and gearchange so I want to try the same. Money is very tight for this job so I'm looking for a cheap assembly that I can adapt to fit.
If anyone has any bits kicking about, shout up. Or, if you can think of another way to get round this problem, lets hear it.
TIA.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 17/4/15 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
I don't want to rain on the idea, but the Lambo handlebar shift extends into the headlight section, the quadrant which the cables connect to is under the headlamp cover, and the cables run down the steering shaft...

THIS Might do the trick for you??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Trollyjack

posted on 17/4/15 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Also if you are talking Lambretta parts they are not cheap.

TrollyJack

JeffHs

posted on 17/4/15 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Many many years ago I had a Vespa. It was a '56, prior to the faired in handlebars and had a very simple device with external cables to change gear. From memory it was a quadrant about 3 to 4 inches in diameter that pulled either cable. I think you could manufacture that from scratch without too much difficulty.
I also think that the old British invalid cars of the 50s had a similar handlebar change arrangement.

imp paul

posted on 17/4/15 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
hello guys lambretta parts are as above not locost now ,and its a fussy and a bit of a messy way to do things lol as i know as i run one full race lambretta engine
full race lambretta engine

[Edited on 17/4/15 by imp paul]

r1_pete

posted on 17/4/15 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Paul, you're not the chap on Chatsworth Road who often has a Lambo out for sale are you?
imp paul

posted on 17/4/15 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
no pete but i know who you mean lol small world
owelly

posted on 17/4/15 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys and you're right about the suitability and price of the scooter parts!!
I like the hand shift you've linked to Pete so I'll see if there's enough cash in the kitty to buy it. The main problem is the trike has been borrowed and is to be used for just one trip round Ireland and the chap involved doesn't have much spare cash! I'll have another look at using a throttle push/pull twist grip and see if he can work the clutch at the same time, and also continue to work on the central locking servos. I have a nutty idea that the horn-push can be used to change up, unless the brake lights are on, in which case the horn button will actuate the down-shift solenoid. It'll mean the guy will have to stroke the brake lever when changing down going uphill but I'm sure it's doable!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.