Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chop saw / mitre saw: same thing?
jps

posted on 17/4/15 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Chop saw / mitre saw: same thing?

As per title really. I'm just about to kit out the new garage with work benches, shelving etc. So am looking at buying something like this to chop up all the wood (I have free access to suitable waste wood, hence the choice of material): http://www.its.co.uk/pd/RAGE3B-Evolution-Rage3B-210mm-Multipurpose-Mitre-Saw-_EVORAGE3B.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjw3sKpBRDJ7rDqzsyuhDASJACZAikiWnbR-sBtryNEN1xg 5gb9goTqDpfjTo7Yud5eUbmOsBoCc5jw_wcB

I've seen people mention use of a 'chop saw' for cutting chassis rails, Wickes catalogue lists them differently but could a mitre saw be used equally effectively (with a suitable blade of course!)?

theconrodkid

posted on 17/4/15 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
what i did,the only problem i had was the hole size in the centre,smaller on the wood cutting disc and the metal disc was a bit bigger,i used part used discs and modified the top guard.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

JoelP

posted on 17/4/15 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Same thing, chop and mitre. You can get blades with different sized holes, and also adapters.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mr C

posted on 17/4/15 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Essentially the same principle, except a chop saw rotates up and down on a pivot, a mitre saw works on a pivot and slide, so can also move back and forth to cut wider pieces of material.

Using a chop saw to cut mitres, you move the material for the angle, on a mitre saw the whole assembly rotates about the material.

[Edited on 17/4/15 by Mr C]

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

mark chandler

posted on 17/4/15 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
We have a rage mitre saw which we use for chopping pallets, you need the sliding bit to accommodate decent lengths of wood, a chop saw is fine for steel box etc but wood tends to be a lot thicker.
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 17/4/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a chop saw and when this blows up, I'm going to buy a mitre saw because it can cut larger /thicker pieces of wood using it's slide motion.

Mitre saw is defo the way to go.

MikeR

posted on 17/4/15 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Where is the best place to get a blade and adaptor? I got a cheap metal chop saw a while ago, I could do with a wood saw for a while so replacing the abrasive blade with a saw would be a simple solution.
JoelP

posted on 18/4/15 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Screwfix do lots of blades.

Not all mitre saws slide. That would be a sliding mitre saw! Normal ones just swivel or lean.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

jps

posted on 19/4/15 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps, LCB proves helpful as usual!!!

Bought this in the end http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-rage3-fp2552-255mm-compound-mitre-saw-230v/26612, was a lot quicker/easier than hand sawing and now I have a 2.6 metre workbench in the garage. Hurrah!!

cliftyhanger

posted on 19/4/15 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Where is the best place to get a blade and adaptor? I got a cheap metal chop saw a while ago, I could do with a wood saw for a while so replacing the abrasive blade with a saw would be a simple solution.

What is the rpm of the metal chopsaw? TCT blades max is 3-4000rpm, but metal stuff usually rather faster.

Did see a "EU national" buying a 9" grinder in screwfix a couple of years ago. He was also trying to ask for a TCT blade that would fit, so he could cut wood/trees. The manager intervened, removed the grinder from him (he hadn't yet paid) and chucked him out of the shop. Unusual sense from a screwfix employee, down here most seemed to have been trained at macDonalds, and know more about macpies than saws.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.