Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford rear disk conversion
Daf

posted on 3/3/16 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisL
Managed to get out to the garage and low and behold the plate fits, but it's upside down and positions the calliper right next to a large bit of the suspension, so it'll never fit there. Interestingly as my Tiger uses most of the back end from a sierra it looks like your hubs are upside down :-0 ! So I think I'm going to re-drill the plates with the brake calliper at 12 o'clock as that's the best position for them (unless anyones got some bright ideas?). At least I'm not going mad!

Few pic's for those that are interested:

Description
Description

and clearance (Clarence)

Description
Description

Cheers
Chris

How interesting, shame about that big lump of metal there - you'd have been able to get the calipers the right way up only for that. It's a pity you need to re-drill them though.

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

Daf

posted on 3/3/16 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
Hubs upside down is not good news - the reason they only bolt up one way is because the bearing carriers are tapered and this gives the wheel negative camber. If they're upside down the geometry of the rear end could well be a little odd with positive camber!

Are they all like this? I've just taken a rear wheel off and the brake disk is completely parallel to the upright that holds my bearing carrier, do you know how much camber it should give? It's not an issue for me as I can adjust the camber via wishbone length. Interestingly the strikers use the hub carrier at 90° which would result in a differing toe angle.

djtom

posted on 3/3/16 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
That's interesting - and I may be mistaken, but I always thought it was the bearing carrier that dictated the camber and toe-in. I know that you can get shims to adjust it.
Why have the offset bolts if it doesn't matter which way round you fit it?

ChrisL

posted on 4/3/16 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
So this is the [position I'm going for, bit of fettling and drilling required. Next step is to put the hubs back on so I can check the clearance.

Description
Description

Daf

posted on 4/3/16 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Keep me posted - I'm keen to see this work.
ChrisL

posted on 27/3/16 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
A little update, so I've persevered on, had some fun getting bolts to fit, a few 'being thick' moments and a bit of judicious use of the angry grinder I've got the brake to a point where I've attached the hoses (cheers to Russbost).
Now just need to fit the pads, bleed and finish the hand brake :-)

Bolt location that need a bit of work:
Description
Description

And they're in:
Description
Description

and
Description
Description

Mazdaboy

posted on 30/9/19 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Great solution! Did anyone ever get any drawings made with dimensions for the brackets?

Cheers

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.