Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which MIG welder
LBMEFM

posted on 26/4/15 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
which MIG welder

Looking to buy a new MIG welder, initially I will use it to weld the frame work for my new workshop roof which is 6mm angle iron. Following that I will use it for car bodywork panels. Looking at web sites it says that cheap MIG's are difficult to use and it shows in the quality of weld, also 150 - 180amps is preferable. Any advice or experiences very welcome, thank you.
rusty nuts

posted on 26/4/15 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Without a doubt you would be better off asking on the mig welding forum
jps

posted on 26/4/15 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
Looking to buy a new MIG welder, initially I will use it to weld the frame work for my new workshop roof which is 6mm angle iron. Following that I will use it for car bodywork panels. Looking at web sites it says that cheap MIG's are difficult to use and it shows in the quality of weld, also 150 - 180amps is preferable. Any advice or experiences very welcome, thank you.

I've got a Sealey SuperMig 185 which can handle that thickness, but I've never tried it with thin stuff. I'd guess the flexibility is the hard thing to find with more powerful welders, ie do they 'turn down' low enough to do thin stuff...

rusty nuts

posted on 26/4/15 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on your budget, you get what you pay for. If I was looking at get a new 180 amp mig I would seriously consider a Portamig although for 6 mm you might be better of with an arc welder (MMA) Again check the mig welding forum
DIY Si

posted on 26/4/15 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Something like my old Migatronic Automig 180 would be ideal for what you want. Cheap(er) machines won't handle the power for 6mm in one clean pass AND turn down low enough for thin car panels. Mine's rated at 25-180A IIRC. I think I paid £250-300 for mine a while back, but they're hard to find second hand as no-one wants to part with them!

Failing that, something new and shiny from the reputable traders on the mig welding forum would be a good first step.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/4/15 at 05:37 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking a smallish mig for the bodywork, and a cheap arc welder for the 6mm stuff.

Depends on budget of course, but one that will do all you ask will be a very decent machine.....

Agree the mig forum is the place to go.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 27/4/15 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
I've got one of these:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/151te-turbo-mig-welder

Does car panels OK, may struggle a bit on the thick stuff but a V-groove and two passes would sort it.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

posted on 27/4/15 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, The MIG forum is the place to go.

My answers on here are utter rubbish, but on the MIG forum I'm a hero.

Cheers
Paul G

p.s.

43 years welding experience. 7 to go then I'm qualified.

mark chandler

posted on 27/4/15 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 150te, perfect for car panels and up to 3-4mm, when it failed to get enough heat into the work on 6mm, it looked okay but when cut little penetration.

Powerful MiGs have greatly reduced in price these days, however if I was going to send £400-£500 it would be on a reputable DC TIG set

coozer

posted on 27/4/15 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a portamig 185 from weldequipe.

It does it all, chassis building, car body repairs the lot.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

FASTdan

posted on 27/4/15 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I have the R-tech 160A MIG and can highly recommend it (though I don't think their current model is 160A anymore, think it might be more?). It 'feels' every bit as good to use as the industrial machines I have used in the past. Can be wound right down to do a good job on car bodywork.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tegwin

posted on 27/4/15 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I would avoid the cheapy clarke/saeley offerings aimed at the DIY hobbyist.... The wire feed mechanisms are totally garbage. I had the 151te for a while and it was terrible! Yes you could stick bits of metal together but even penetration and "neatness" left a lot to be desired!

Bought a second hand cebora for £300... What a cracking machine it is!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

bart

posted on 27/4/15 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
as stated you get exactly what you pay for

cheap sets use aluminium for transformer windings not copper with small undersize cores , and without a physics lesson not a good idea for weld quality and smoothness.

cebora are reasonable they make all the snap on weld sets ( or used to ) , not the best but a good compromise .

go to a proper welding set seller industrial they can advise .

a good inverter set is easy to weld with but expensive , usually more powerful than a transformer set due to less losses

unfortunately to sum up you generally get what you pay for in a welder .

[Edited on 27/4/15 by bart]

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

LBMEFM

posted on 27/4/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks every one for the advice😀

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.