Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who braves the weather for stonleigh?
leon51274

posted on 27/4/15 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Who braves the weather for stonleigh?

I'm planning on making the trip to stonleigh from Harrogate in my car however I don't have any wet weather gear or windscreen to keep dry if it chucks it down. So how many people brave the weather on longer trips? I've not driven while its persisting it down but can't imagine its all that pleasant, or am I being a wuss?
40inches

posted on 27/4/15 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
The first trip I did in a kit car, without a screen, was to Whitby from Chesterfield, it threw it down all the way there, and a week later, all the way back
Lessons learned:
Wear/carry motorcycle gear, helmet, neck cuff, jacket, gloves and trousers.(Wet weather walking gear is also suitable, a black plastic bin liner, with a hole for your head, is good in an emergency)
Carry at least one towel, and possibly a change of clothing.
Drill holes in the lowest part of the seat, sat in 2" of water in jeans isn't a lot of fun, and in the floor.
If you aren't sure if your instruments and switches are water proof, tape some clear plastic over them.

[Edited on 27-4-15 by 40inches]

leon51274

posted on 27/4/15 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds like drastic measures!
HowardB

posted on 27/4/15 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
my first drive in my kit was in the snow up the M1, that was interesting, A motorcycle jacket and a full face lid are good measures, a pair of waterproof trousers is good too,....

a warm destination always helps,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

leon51274

posted on 27/4/15 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
my first drive in my kit was in the snow up the M1, that was interesting, A motorcycle jacket and a full face lid are good measures, a pair of waterproof trousers is good too,....

Not sure at this moment that Stoneleigh is of a warm destination and the plan is for 2 days camping!

40inches

posted on 27/4/15 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leon51274

More prudent I would say If you get caught out in a thunder storm, I think you may agree
You can get cheap waterproof clothing, and keep them in the car, just in case.
I have a screen now, but still wear a Lid on long journeys.

leon51274

posted on 27/4/15 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

More prudent I would say If you get caught out in a thunder storm, I think you may agree
You can get cheap waterproof clothing, and keep them in the car, just in case.
I have a screen now, but still wear a Lid on long journeys.

Yea I always wear a lid anyway, prob just need to sort some decent clothing.

40inches

posted on 27/4/15 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Not sure at this moment that Stoneleigh is of a warm destination and the plan is for 2 days camping!

The Halls/Restaurants/Bars are warm, and you won't be alone camping, it's a huge site.

leon51274

posted on 27/4/15 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
quote:

The Halls/Restaurants/Bars are warm, and you won't be alone camping, it's a huge site.

Plenty of people to cuddle up to then!

David Jenkins

posted on 27/4/15 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Have you driven in rain before? If not, be prepared for a very twitchy rear end... the car will be quite twitchy, too!

The first time I got caught in the rain I think I was one of the slowest cars on the road - every time I touched the accelerator the back end tried to overtake the front. It probably wasn't that bad in reality, but it didn't feel secure. This was with decent road-going tread on my tyres, but it's the power combined with very little weight that's the problem.

[Edited on 27/4/15 by David Jenkins]

leon51274

posted on 27/4/15 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Have you driven in rain before? If not, be prepared for a very twitchy rear end... the car will be quite twitchy, too!

The first time I got caught in the rain I think I was one of the slowest cars on the road - every time I touched the accelerator the back end tried to overtake the front. It probably wasn't that bad in reality, but it didn't feel secure. This was with decent road-going tread on my tyres, but it's the power combined with very little weight that's the problem.

[Edited on 27/4/15 by David Jenkins]

Not in rain but I have on a damp surface and I must admit my arse was twitching a bit.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 27/4/15 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm expecting nice weather ! Don't be so cynical!

Otherwise I have a wet weather bike suit, gloves and helmet.

No windscreen etc

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Benzine

posted on 27/4/15 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 28/4/15 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for Full face M\cycle helmet I wouldnt even drive in the dry without it on.
Too many stones or larger items to do serious facial damage or worse, especially if at speed.

Also use full bike gear. (Useful if you have a bike too).

I got a couple of those Divers Dry bags, they are just excellent for putting you sleeping gear and clothes in to keep them dry.
I learned that the hard way going to Newark one year and was caught in a traffic jam with a cloud burst overhead. 1/2" of water in the car and everything soaked!

Something like these:

Linky - Ebay

Do an internet search for your area, someone will sell them. Its a must have for Kit cars and wet weather!

Geoff

EDIT:
If you have Sierra type light / indicator stalks, squirt some WD40 into the hazard switch. They suffer badly with the rain, and causes some very interesting faults. Its only a PCB track type switch, and the copper corrodes, goes green and almost dissapears. Cant be repaired easily.
I've been there!

Geoff

[Edited on 28/4/2015 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
leon51274

posted on 28/4/15 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
+1 for Full face Mcycle helmet I wouldnt even drive in the dry without it on.
Too many stones or larger items to do serious facial damage or worse, especially if at speed.

Also use full bike gear. (Useful if you have a bike too).

I got a couple of those Divers Dry bags, they are just excellent for putting you sleeping gear and clothes in to keep them dry.
I learned that the hard way going to Newark one year and was caught in a traffic jam with a cloud burst overhead. 1/2" of water in the car and everything soaked!

Something like these:

Linky - Ebay

Do an internet search for your area, someone will sell them. Its a must have for Kit cars and wet weather!

Geoff

EDIT:
If you have Sierra type light / indicator stalks, squirt some WD40 into the hazard switch. They suffer badly with the rain, and causes some very interesting faults. Its only a PCB track type switch, and the copper corrodes, goes green and almost dissapears. Cant be repaired easily.
I've been there!

Geoff

[Edited on 28/4/2015 by wilkingj]

Cheers Geoff

adithorp

posted on 28/4/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Benzine, between "whats the weather forecast..." and "stay at home..." you're missing the "MTFU" box.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.