Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: So who has attempted scratch build?
locost7-online.com

posted on 9/5/15 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
So who has attempted scratch build?

I've just started my chassis, I will set up a build blog soon, has anyone else attempted their own chassis build? If so what problems can you remember ?

Locost Xflow 150bhp injected! Sold :-(

Facebook blog https://www.facebook.com/Johns-Tiger-Avon-Build-814223212056368/
PLEASE NOTE THIS MEMBER IS NOT A TRADER.

mark chandler

posted on 9/5/15 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Time

Building the basic frame is just a couple of weekends, it's adding all the little bits that takes time like shorterning the steering rack to eliminate bump steer, making front and rear wishbones, adding brackets, rear uprights, pedals etc.

Although there is a lot more pre-made parts available now, I was cash constrained so made as much as I could spending the cash on decent brakes, wheels etc.

It's all good fun

If I was to make one again I would build the frame around a roll cage (design this and get bent up in CSD as a flat pack as you will struggle to make decent bends), make it smaller and narrower (= faster and lighter), forget poly bushes and make using 1/2" rose joints.

Also used the savings to buy an AC/DC TIG set so made the fuel tank etc.

Not attempted, completed and now sprinting it.

[Edited on 9/5/15 by mark chandler]

Simon

posted on 9/5/15 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Built mine (and all the bodywork) using RC book as a template but changed to IRS and added 4" to width.

No specific problems but I did do a lot of thinking

ATB

Simon

coozer

posted on 9/5/15 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to start mine as soon as the room becomes available.

Built 3 cars already, first was a Striker in 94, kit was basically a chassis and some body work, had to make a few parts.

Older and not wiser now but feel confident I will pull it off...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

locost7-online.com

posted on 9/5/15 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I scratch built a a Ron champion locost back in 2002, passed sva, and sprinted it before I sold it,
I like the challenge of scratch build, I will fabricate my own wishbones too, not sure about the rose joint options, had a race car before and was very harsh but still leaving options open

joneh

posted on 9/5/15 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yup! Half finished chassis in the garage rafters due to buying a bargain fury project...
anthony1

posted on 9/5/15 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
F 27 build

Bought the A4 file with plans in it........from F27 near Bristol , probably mid 1990's . Building the chassis was straightforward , also the wishbones and trailing arms for the rear suspension etc. I think the thing at the time was having to make everything.......had a few periods of inactivity...then finished it.
I remember completing it just as the Locost book was published....... i liked the proportions of that more than the F27.Although I did make a few changes anyway.....the rear in particular , as it had a strange "kick up at the back" When we moved house I sold the F27and have since owned a Caterham , Westfield and now have an MK Indy. It was a tremendous sense of achievement creating something from nothing , would I do it again.......????

locost7-online.com

posted on 9/5/15 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthony1
Bought the A4 file with plans in it........from F27 near Bristol , probably mid 1990's . Building the chassis was straightforward , also the wishbones and trailing arms for the rear suspension etc. I think the thing at the time was having to make everything.......had a few periods of inactivity...then finished it.
I remember completing it just as the Locost book was published....... i liked the proportions of that more than the F27.Although I did make a few changes anyway.....the rear in particular , as it had a strange "kick up at the back" When we moved house I sold the F27and have since owned a Caterham , Westfield and now have an MK Indy. It was a tremendous sense of achievement creating something from nothing , would I do it again.......????

How does a caterham and Westfield compare to an MK Indy and formula 27? I remember going to the motoshow years ago with my Dad, F27 had a stand there looked really good from what I remember

big_wasa

posted on 9/5/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yup I made one to the book

Only advice is a small deviation early on bites you in the ass later on Build it basic and upgrade latter. Keeps initial cost down and gives you years of upgrades to keep you interested.

Now collecting parts for one more. It did take me ten years to finish the last.

Slimy38

posted on 9/5/15 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is a scratch build in progress, I have more time than money so everything is being made from raw components.

I think the one thing I'm starting to realise is 'be organised'. A car in bits takes up far more space than a complete car, and you need certain parts at certain times. Anything that isn't needed should be stored and covered.

And keep all the nuts and bolts from the donor, you can't usually use them for the final build but it's good to know fixing sizes. And it saves using up the good bolts and nyloc nuts just to test fit things.

locost7-online.com

posted on 9/5/15 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Yup I made one to the book

Only advice is a small deviation early on bites you in the ass later on Build it basic and upgrade latter. Keeps initial cost down and gives you years of upgrades to keep you interested.

Now collecting parts for one more. It did take me ten years to finish the last.

Did the bodywork fit ok ? I'm going as per the book, latest version, going to order bodywork in a couple of weeks, Did you make your own wishbones?

big_wasa

posted on 9/5/15 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yes chassis and wishbones. I didn't make the fibreglass as I just didn't have space.
steve m

posted on 9/5/15 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yep made mine from scratch and some of the fiberglass,
finished in 1999 and would never do it again !

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Rosco86

posted on 9/5/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently building a Haynes, I'm getting on with it ok, it's challenging but that's what I like, never built a car before, i think financially your worse off but you've built your own car and not just brought someone else's, I think it depends how much time you have, good luck, I've a build thread in the Haynes section if your interested
baz-R

posted on 10/5/15 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Yep I done one and really enjoyed every minute of building almost every part I could on my car about the only thing I didn't make myself was the grp.

I can feel I have at least another one in me
Next one I may even design myself who knows

daniel mason

posted on 10/5/15 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I definitely don't have the skills for a scratch build. Not an easy task!
I found building a kit difficult enough!

whitestu

posted on 10/5/15 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I definitely don't have the skills for a scratch build. Not an easy task!
I found building a kit difficult enough!

For me it was the time as well. I was worried that if I took years the rules would have changed!

In fact they did but I finished mine in time to SVA it rather than IVA.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.