Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vehicle Tax for Kit Car
SteveWallace

posted on 14/5/15 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Vehicle Tax for Kit Car

The end of this month marks the anniversary of the DVLA registering my Viento after getting through IVA last year so my tax will need to be renewed. Accordingly, the DVLA has sent me a reminder letter (a V11) to buy a new tax on line. However, the V11 states that the car needs an appropriate MOT test certificate and the on-line application asks me to confirm that I have one, stating that they will check.

My understanding is that an IVA'ed car counts as new, even on a Q plate, so I don't need an MOT for a couple of years yet.

Has anyone on here come across this and, if so, what did you do about it? I don't want to confirm on-line that I have an MOT when I haven't for fear of their on-line system spitting out an automatic fine or something when they check, or getting picked up on a camera somewhere and having the car squashed for my trouble!!

snakebelly

posted on 14/5/15 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Think you'll find this is an old chestnut, the end result will be that getting the car MOT'd will probably be much the easier option when compared to arguing the toss with DVLA.
Sorry

aka Keith

posted on 14/5/15 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
when this happened with me, I went to my local post office and there was a form to fill out which allowed you to get your tax disc without a MOT. If you do a quick search in the forum, I am sure you will find the form number.

Yours
Craig

found for you:
as indicated earlier in the thread. print of form V112 or get it from your local post office, (it is an MOT exception form for the purposes of tax discs normally used by taxi cabs/buses/minibuses etc).

Sign it - self declaration that your car does not need an MOT
take your V5 and your insurance certificate with you
show to counter (at post office)
bingo tax disc in exchange for beer tokens.

[Edited on 14/5/15 by aka Keith]

Slimy38

posted on 14/5/15 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Is that still the approach, considering you don't get an actual tax disc?
loggyboy

posted on 14/5/15 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Try filling this in.
Its the old V112 form that listed new vehicles as one of the exemptions.
https://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Business/Licensing-and-permits/Forms/DVLA-V112-Form-%28MOT-exemption%29.pdf

The new one no longer has new cars as a option, despite them being exempt.

[Edited on 14-5-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Davedew

posted on 14/5/15 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same problem when I came to tax my car at the beginning of April.
I phoned DVLA and the women on the phone tried to claim I needed an MOT as it was a Q plate.

After I asked to speak to a superior person she came back saying that no I did not need an MOT for 3 years.

This being the case the only place I can tax it is at a post office until it has had its first MOT.
I didn't even need the V112, or insurance cert. Just went in with the reminder, paid and walked out with a receipt.

ravingfool

posted on 14/5/15 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
As stated a number of times above, there is no problem.

3 year exemption includes a q car so long as it is a 'new' q. (imports which are awarded 'q' plates do not get the same 3 year exemption).

Don't worry about the naysayers, just pop down to the local post office with your wallet and either the reminder or the v5. Takes 5 minutes but you may need to explain briefly to the person behind the till, if you look at your v5 it will explicitly say that the car was registered new on a q plate on whatever date.

I can't remember the exact wording but I found lots of contradictory information when I bought my kit so I just had a look at the relevant legislation and it's quite clear. Forget which act this falls under but if you have any problems at the post office a bit of googling will sort you out.

40inches

posted on 14/5/15 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Take it to your local PO, even if the system says it needs an MOT they can override it
David Jenkins

posted on 14/5/15 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
When I was a puppy, I had the same problem 1 year after first registering my car. I took it down to the local DVLA office where the senior supervisor took one look, said "that's stupid", and gave me my tax disc.

Now, the local DVLA office is long gone so there's no chance of getting face-to-face problem solving...

rf900rush

posted on 14/5/15 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I MOT'd my not kowing that I may not have needed it.

Turn out doing me a favor. The MOT man found a loose bolt on the steering that I had not spotted.
Could of been serious of not found. Alawys a good idea to have somone else do a check over.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWallace

posted on 18/5/15 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ravingfool
As stated a number of times above, there is no problem.

3 year exemption includes a q car so long as it is a 'new' q. (imports which are awarded 'q' plates do not get the same 3 year exemption).

I can't remember the exact wording but I found lots of contradictory information when I bought my kit so I just had a look at the relevant legislation and it's quite clear. Forget which act this falls under but if you have any problems at the post office a bit of googling will sort you out.

I found it. Its Section 47 (2) (a) and (b) of the Road Traffic Act 1988: Road Traffic Act is at ...

Road Traffic Act

I'll report back on my experience with the post office.

Went to the post office, handed over my V112 and got my tax no problem, so the system seems to work

[Edited on 18/5/15 by SteveWallace]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.