Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starter motor
badger93

posted on 17/5/15 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Starter motor

Hi guys, I have a 1995 1800 silver top zetec engine and I'm mating it to a type 9 gear box. Which starter motor do I need? I've read that it is off a fiesta but which one? The engine is going in to a locost chasis. Cheers!
coozer

posted on 17/5/15 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
One off a sierra cvh or dohc.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

austin man

posted on 17/5/15 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
you can use one from a standad 1.6 or 2 litre pinto as well however you need a 14mm spacer making the 1.8 CVH one fits with no modifiaction

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

loggyboy

posted on 18/5/15 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
From a 1.8 CVH Sierra os correct.
The lucas type is LRS707 (some have used lrs543).
I know its the case with the blacktop, possibly not silvertop tho), is that the wide body (oe) versions catch on the zetec sump, so its better to use the narrow bodies of the modern replacement ones.

Mistral Motorsport

austin man

posted on 18/5/15 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
you do also need to relieve the sump a section need cutting out and pating up from the inside of the sump. failure to do this causes the starter to sit at an angl and can lead to its failure

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

spegru

posted on 17/7/15 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'd also like to know. What is annoying is that I already have one, but I need another and I can't identify it.
I think I've read that the one for a 1.8 CVH Sierra is correct for a Zetec / Type 9 but I'm keen to get one of the newer slimmer ones - which is what I already have on another vehicle! But what exactly is it? There's no markings and although it's only a couple of years old I can't find any order details! - argh...

help please - I'm nearly there but not quite!

spegru

posted on 18/7/15 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
I can now see that my Web cache was out of date because when I wrote that yesterday only the OP's post was there. Now I can see loads of others!

I have the standard black top sump and can confirm that it's necessary to cut various bits of it off to get a rwd starter in. I have done this before with no oil problems.
However that is also why I'm keen to get one of the newer slimmer starters as that is what I had with this sump before and I don't want to have to do further mods to fit a fat one. The problem with getting a 'CVH starter' us that they all seem to be 'rmfd' meaning reconditioned, ie old fat ones.
So what I'd like is a reliable part number or recent vehicle fitment.
This is frustrating since I actually have one of these already - I just can't ID it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.