Either 1 (0%) -»
Both are wrong, get something else. 0 (0%) -»
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SAE & DIN brake pipe flares
scudderfish

posted on 19/5/15 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
SAE & DIN brake pipe flares

I need to make up some new pipes to go to my repositioned M/Cs (Girling if that makes a difference). I want to get a reasonable tool (not the clamp things that go for circa £15), but some say they only do SAE and others only do DIN. What are they, and what am I likely to need?

Regards,
Dave

adithorp

posted on 19/5/15 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
You probably need DIN flares. SAE flares are used on imperial/UNF unions. DIN on metric unions

SAE are more conical in shape (the union is a bit countersunk) whereas the DIN flare is flatter. Now the official line is you should never mix the two (on pain of death, disease, famine, etc). In reality an SAE flare will compress when fitted to a metric nut and seal perfectly well... I wouldn't try the DIN under a UNF union though.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

britishtrident

posted on 19/5/15 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
You need a DIN ™Powerhand" (sold under many different brand names) tool, SAE flares are still around but they haven't been used on any European model launched since 1970 when the UK car industry started to go metric.
A DIN flare will seal on a UNF or a BSF fitting.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ken555

posted on 19/5/15 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
With the "Powerhand" tool, I've noticed that the DIN version of the tool just comes with a single flare "bolt" where the SAE comes with both a double and single "bolt"

Not sure if that means that DIN doesn't do double.

SAE

DIN

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 19/5/15 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Din version definitely comes with a double ended press tool, something wrong with that one.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

James

posted on 19/5/15 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
The grease is edible with the other type too...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ken555

posted on 19/5/15 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Din version definitely comes with a double ended press tool, something wrong with that one.

Even the YouTube video seems to suggest this.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 19/5/15 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Some Girling type master cylinders may need 3/8"unf pipe nuts and SAE flares , check by trying a brake pipe nut in the port. If you only want to make up a couple of pipes I have a flaring kit you can borrow if you collect from near Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge
scudderfish

posted on 19/5/15 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken555
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Even the YouTube video seems to suggest this.

The vid shows the single flare being done on the DIN tool and the double on the SAE. Hmmmmm........

scudderfish

posted on 19/5/15 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Some Girling type master cylinders may need 3/8"unf pipe nuts and SAE flares , check by trying a brake pipe nut in the port. If you only want to make up a couple of pipes I have a flaring kit you can borrow if you collect from near Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge

Thanks for the offer, but then I'd be denying myself the opportunity to buy a new tool I checked a nut from one of the M/Cs with a thread pitch gauge at 1mm which hopefully means I've got metric ones.

scudderfish

posted on 19/5/15 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
This claims to be a DIN tool that does single & double.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-Professional-In-situ-4-75mm-DIN-Hand-Held-FL027-/400797935163

scudderfish

posted on 20/5/15 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
This claims to be a DIN tool that does single & double.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-Professional-In-situ-4-75mm-DIN-Hand-Held-FL027-/400797935163

I checked with the seller and it was mis-listed.

OK, when would I need to use a double flare?

ken555

posted on 20/5/15 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

OK, when would I need to use a double flare?

Any Female fittings.

So normally flexible hoses to solid pipe or repair sections/joins in the pipe.

[Edited on 20-5-15 by ken555]

scudderfish

posted on 23/5/15 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
This looks interesting

but I can't find anyone who actually sells it.

jps

posted on 10/10/18 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I need to make up some new pipes to go to my repositioned M/Cs (Girling if that makes a difference). I want to get a reasonable tool (not the clamp things that go for circa £15), but some say they only do SAE and others only do DIN. What are they, and what am I likely to need?

Regards,
Dave

Dave - what did you do in the end? A search has only thrown up a few results mentioning DIN flares so I am non the wiser! I am doing my brake lines soon so need to buy the right tool...

I will have metric fittings on my hard lines and expect I will need both male (into the master cylinder) and female (to the bulkhead joins) - but I can't find any DIN tools that do a female fitting!

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/10/18 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
It's funny but my flaring tool which is one of the £15 type has done many metric & imperial fittings no bother (old landys tend to be a right hodgepodge), I suspect there is some unnecessary over complication going on...
FamilyGuy

posted on 10/10/18 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I used DIN flare for my hard lines. The DIN flare is a single stage flare as opposed to the SAE which is a double stage. One tool for producing the flare and the male / female fitting is determined by the unions you use.

This article explains which flare should be used depending on union type.

http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=flare

I used one of the tools in the video and pic above and found it easy to use and consistent. Before I got one of those I struggled on with one of the cheap fleabay items which I found hopeless.

jps

posted on 10/10/18 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FamilyGuy
I used DIN flare for my hard lines. The DIN flare is a single stage flare as opposed to the SAE which is a double stage. One tool for producing the flare and the male / female fitting is determined by the unions you use.

This article explains which flare should be used depending on union type.

http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=flare

I used one of the tools in the video and pic above and found it easy to use and consistent. Before I got one of those I struggled on with one of the cheap fleabay items which I found hopeless.

So the DIN flare is the same regardless of whether it's a male 'nut' or a female 'nut' being used?

FamilyGuy

posted on 10/10/18 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, one DIN flare and different unions to suit your requirements.
jps

posted on 11/10/18 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FamilyGuy
Yes, one DIN flare and different unions to suit your requirements.

Thanks - that's exactly what I could not find spelled out anywhere!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.