My old grinder gave up the ghost, so looking for a new one criteria as follows,
budget £50 +/- 5
size 115mm
Watts highest possible
quite like the Makita GA4530KD
any one have any recommendations??

omega 24 v6

posted on 21/5/15 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a challenge one from argos. It built my whole scratch build chassis etc and lasted a couple years more after that. cheap years, gaurantee.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

gremlin1234

posted on 21/5/15 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
worth having on good one for the tough stuff, with two or three cheapies with cutting, grinding, and sanding to save swapping disks all the time.
Davey D

posted on 21/5/15 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just splash out a bit extra on a Bosch GWS 9-115 and be done with it. Or you could try getting hold of the older model GWS 8-115 to save a few quid
theprisioner

posted on 21/5/15 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Dewalt, if you are into padlock cutting after dark then the battery version is a must!

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 22/5/15 at 05:03 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a challenge one from Argos + the guarantee its been ok and it was cheap .
HowardB

posted on 22/5/15 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
Makita or bosch blue. Worth it in my book.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

posted on 22/5/15 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shindha
My old grinder gave up the ghost, so looking for a new one criteria as follows,
budget £50 +/- 5
size 115mm
Watts highest possible
quite like the Makita GA4530KD
any one have any recommendations??

Sounds like you have already found what you need. Look no further, unless you don't need a fancy box.
It's £43 @ Howe Tools inc VAT & inc delivery.

I always say that it must be a good tool if you can't remember when you bought it.

I have two Makita's in almost daily use, one for 1mm cutting discs and one for flap discs. Both several years old.

Paul G

theconrodkid

posted on 22/5/15 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb281grd-4-angle-grinder-230-240v/93905

2 year warranty,i have a couple of titan brand tools and they all seem as good as the big brands at a fraction of the price...plus there is a cute girl that works at my local screwfix,even more reason to go there

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/5/15 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Stretch to the DeWalt one, its awesome. The only regret I have is that I didn't buy one 10 years ago.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MP3C

posted on 22/5/15 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb281grd-4-angle-grinder-230-240v/93905

2 year warranty,i have a couple of titan brand tools and they all seem as good as the big brands at a fraction of the price...plus there is a cute girl that works at my local screwfix,even more reason to go there

With that one, if you buy the 9" angle grinder you get that one free.

Matt

coozer

posted on 22/5/15 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I just buy the cheapest ones out of tool station or screwfix, cute girls behind the counter in both...

Now got 3, one has a cutting disc, one has a wire cup in it the other a grinding disc..

One of them is an old black and decker that's a lot quieter than the others so has the wire cup in it cause I use that one the most

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

benchmark51

posted on 22/5/15 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Had Bosch, clapped out in a year. Black and Decker lasted longer. Makita lasted best (years)

I now have 3 Drapers, 1 for cutting, 1 grinder, 1 brush. If one claps out, have the others for back up
and at £20 each pretty good value.

The only cordless I have is a Makita and it's brill.

James

posted on 22/5/15 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Started with a Bosch (green because I was naive!) but that lasted almost all the build.

Bought 2 cheapies that died.

Then bought the Hitachi twinpack that Screwfix do. 9" for building work, 4" for cars/metal. Nice soft start, fairly light and cut anything.

Most of the tradesmen at work use Hitachi gear now over Makita.

I'm gradually moving everything to Hitachi as I like them so much!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

luke2152

posted on 22/5/15 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I had a cheapish ryobi one £40 I think and it lasted quite well but eventually died. Replaced it with a cheap nielson one and it lasted less then an hour and actually caught fire. On my second ryobi one and have no complaints.
furryeggs

posted on 22/5/15 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Had a black and decker for 12yrs, apart from a cutting disc shattering sending the grinder into my thigh and almost removeing a b#~*€ck I've had no issues.
James

posted on 22/5/15 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
Had a black and decker for 12yrs, apart from a cutting disc shattering sending the grinder into my thigh and almost removeing a b#~*€ck I've had no issues.

Was this whilst working on the car you call: "Old Painless"?

[Edited on 22/5/15 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

furryeggs

posted on 23/5/15 at 05:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yes... The original incarnation of old painless not the new one.
Smoking Frog

posted on 23/5/15 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Out of the three I have my favorite is the lightest. It's a Bosch. So also consider weight as it allows better control.
indykid

posted on 23/5/15 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the dewalt here. I've got the D28113K. The kit box is good too.

The spindle lock is radial and engages far more securely than any other I've ever used.

The last batch of machine mart angle grinders I had were retired due to the spindle locks failing on all four.

The blade guard has a quick release to rotate it too, so you can leave it on and it doesn't get in the way. After shattering a slitting disc or two in the past, that's a massive plus for me.

I was going to say get one from Wickes, but they've put them up to £90 atm. It was £55 when I bought mine (with a 10% off voucher code)

I'd also consider a Bosch, but nowhere seems to have the blue ones in stock, on display, to actually handle before buying. I shortlisted the dewalt and the OP's makita when I bought mine, but the makita felt really mickey mouse in terms of quality.

[Edited on 23/5/15 by indykid]

big_wasa

posted on 23/5/15 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I will never buy another Bosch, the last one lasted 5 minuets. I had owned it thirteen months before opening the box doh. One before that just a few weeks and the one before that two years. Just have the Draper left now.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.