Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Snetterton Wednesday 15th July
livelee

posted on 22/5/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Snetterton Wednesday 15th July

Early bird at the moment makes it "Cheap"

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calendar/2015/july/15-sn-gen.aspx

I'm booked along with a Westfield driving friend.

Any other 7 guys attending?

rodgling

posted on 3/7/15 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be there with a friend in an S2000 Westfield. Fingers crossed the Curse of Snetterton won't strike this time (so far, I've booked 3 trackdays there with the 7 and done none of them, due to crappy weather or car issues).
livelee

posted on 4/7/15 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck. We've got a little convoy coming up from the Isle of Wight. Myself, a caterham, Westfield, locost, m3 and bmw compact (I think).

The weather will be perfect

bi22le

posted on 4/7/15 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Boo. I am there the week after, 22nd.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

livelee

posted on 7/7/15 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Damn, never mind. My last trackday was here in Dec 2013. I'm interested to see if the improvements to the car have made any difference. If they have i'll post before and after videos. If not, i'll cry.
Brian R

posted on 7/7/15 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Quite looking forward to this.
livelee

posted on 13/7/15 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by livelee
The weather will be perfect

[Edited on 13/7/15 by livelee]

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 13/7/15 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
I've just done Snetterton last week on 9th July - weather was perfect and track is awesome, really fast !
My wrists ached really bad the day after - there are a lot of high speed sweeping bends which I think did it.
Hope you have a blast...

livelee

posted on 14/7/15 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I've driven the original a few times and the 300 once, I think.

Weather forecast keeps playing with us. I think it's going to be warm, over cast and dry. Fingers crossed.

rodgling

posted on 14/7/15 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Forecast looks damp-ish now, should be good fun though.

My fuel pump failed last night, fortunately a new relay sorted it so hopefully no more issues...

livelee

posted on 16/7/15 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
What an eventful day. Jesus lol.

Trackday....

Arrived on time, sign on easy, unload easy, noise test - 95 (limit was 105). All simple and relaxed, no drama.

Sighting lap, as we crossed the line to start the 2nd lap the gearbox got a bit "notchy" and by the 2nd corner I'd lost the clutch. 09:15 and looking down the barrel of going home. Incredible.

It was the clutch slave cylinder, fluid leaking everywhere. It appeared it had "shit it's self". We took it off and realised the cylinder had unwound itself from the rod, the rod also acts as the fluid seal. Encouraging! It's hard to do on the car but we got it back together and went out again. It promptly broke again so it required a proper fixing. Everything off now, locktight and back together again. That appeared to solve it for the rest of the day. Lunch time is approaching and we've done less than 10 laps.

Next issue was the rear wheels rubbing in the corners, when I say rubbing....I was leaving a plume of tyre smoke round every bend. It looked like I was drifting. There's now a hole in my passenger arch roof. This was fixed by not taking any more passengers, clicking up the rear shocks and raising the suspension "by about an inch". That solved the arch issue.

Then a water temp sensor worked loose so we lost some water.

Lunchtime we went to the model shop.

After lunch the car probably had an air lock at the water temps were all over the place. Drive out - drive back to pits. Took grille off, disconnected fan, bled the water system = fixed.

Ryan then did 5 hot laps, the longest session of the whole day! Next issue was gear change again, clutch looked good but the gear stick has seized up. When have you ever heard of that happening? The gear stick is original "old" so that needs to be replaced. It was 16:00 now so we loaded up and decided to have dinner at fleet service station.

19 timed laps on Harrys lap timer. December 2013 I logged 39. On my 1st full lap I went a second quicker than in 2013 so that was encouraging as the track was very green still. 2:23 vs 2:22. Harrys lap says virtual best is a 2:16 based on what limited running we did.

2013 engine did 108mph on back straight. New engine saw 122mph with short shifting. I've no doubt it has the power to rev it out in top.

So, lots of small issues but crucially the car is good and the engine is good.

daz928sb

posted on 17/7/15 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
jesus!! that sounded like a nitemare day!

i hope all track days arent like that.
glad its all sorted now tho

livelee

posted on 17/7/15 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, everything came at once. No trackdays are not like that usually. My last visit to Snetterton I did a 45 min session. More laps in that stint than I managed total on Wednesday.

Where the car is only track / competition you're not going to discover any issues until you drive on a track.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.