Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Refurb Dellorto 45's

posted on 24/5/15 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Refurb Dellorto 45's

Hi All.

The 907 doesn't run quite as smooth as I'd like so as the 45's haven't run in anger for several years (read decades)
I wondered if they might benefit from a strip down. I have ordered a gasket/seal kit (£49) and the plan is once
reassembled to put the car on a rolling road, which is just down the road from me.

This will also be an opportunity to fit points and set up the distributor, timing, etc, as you wouldn't believe where it sits.

What do you think? Money well spent, or money down the drain?

I did pop the plugs for a peek at the colour and they didn't look too bad. (see pic)

Cheers
Paul G

Description
Description

Edit to add:-

I'll be happy to recommend if he does a good job.

[Edited on 24/5/15 by 907]

INDY BIRD

posted on 24/5/15 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Carbs can always run out of balance so money well spent I'd say, I had to tune time at least once year,especially after some hard driving,

Who do you use for the rolling road then?

Thanks
Sean

alfas

posted on 25/5/15 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
investing in new seals is , imo, wasted money.

i´m driving cars, fitted with double weber/ dellorto / solex, since around 25 years.

i have never needed any gaskets, nor new float needle valves.

the most important thing with those carbs is : owning two of those

and regulary use them

also worn points or weak igntion leads, dizzy cap&rotor may cause the problem.

you should be able to change this dizzy from points to a electronic device from accuspark, ignitor or hotspark.

we are talking about a 907 lotus twincam engine (jensen healey, lotus eclat7elite)?

the carbs fitted are the original ones and still correctly and equaly jetted?

have you checked valve clerances already?

[Edited on 25/5/15 by alfas]

posted on 26/5/15 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Alfas.

Firstly the history of the engine.

The engine is a Type 907, July '76 taken from an Eclat.
Mid 90's it was taken from the original Lotus and fitted to a hot hatch type track/race car by a group of three blokes.
They drew straws on it's first race day and the winner took the car out on track (Snetterton) for a warm up lap and rolled it.
The wreck was trailered home, useful parts removed and the shell scrapped. Engine wrapped in an oily blanket and left in
the corner of the workshop for ten years. Jets in the carbs may or may not have been changed.

I came along to do some work for one of the three, and happened to mention I was going to scratch build a car.
He said he would love to see his engine running again and sold it to me. This was ten years ago.

I removed the head to free off an exhaust valve. New gasket. Did the valve clearances.
New dizzy cap, points, condenser, rotor arm (not rev limit type), leads & plugs.
Re-fitted Dellorto's without stripping & cleaning.
I assume that after all this time there is solidified sludge inside ???
Set plugs to 25, points to 15, (as a starting point) set timing to setting in the (Lotus) workshop manual I have, but this is a
setting for 4 star fuel I assume.

I have been told that the O rings inside the carbs deteriorate, harden, crack in time, and will need replacing.
( I have already ordered and payed for the refurb kits. )

Don't know what your photo is of, but I assume it is a type of vacuum gauge balance device.
Have you a link or name that I can Google please ?

Thanks for your reply.
Paul G

INDY BIRD

posted on 26/5/15 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul

I have one of these gauges if you want to borrow it you are more than welcome,

Sean

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/5/15 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Or if you want to splash out a few quid a Morgan Carbtune. Sort of quad manometer, so you can see the pull from each carb all at the same time.
I bought one when I had dellortos, made balancing really quick and very accurate. The single ones work, but when you adjust one choke it also has an effect on the others.
Just used mine on my jenveys, again, really easy to use.

Would also add get a few cans of carb cleaner, there are plenty of very small drillings that can cause issues if blocked. Avoid acid cleaners. If you can access an ultrasonic tank, that would be handy, loosen up crud and stuff.

[Edited on 26/5/15 by cliftyhanger]

alfas

posted on 26/5/15 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
...now we have more info:

ok...if the carbs have sit such a long time there would be a lot of cristaline deposit from the fuel, which should effect the function.
i would open them and clean the chambers, remove the jets and blow the holes with compressed air.

brake cleaner cans are cheaper and will do the job too.

also a weak point on dellortos is the acceleration-pump. after storage the passages / holes are often blocked.

you should be able to remove the pump-covers and membranes on the bottom of the carb without damaging them, give them a clean and refit them.

if done the cleaning job carefully you should not need any parts...anyway: as you already ordered a gasket set, use it.

o-rings? hmmm dont know any important ones on those carbs....the older ones had some fitted unerneath the mixture screws...but as i remember not on those carbs.

the picture shows a carb balancing tool.

you should have at least two of them..one for the front carb, one for the rear.. quick and easy job for balancing...if such carbs are out of balance idling will never be smooth.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dellorto-Weber-synchrometer-carb-balancer-tool-made-in-Germany-not-China-/290682796527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43 ae0b79ef

or search for carb balancer or synchrometer

[Edited on 26/5/15 by alfas]

posted on 26/5/15 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Before going further, a pic of what I ordered. (arrives tomorrow/day after)

Are those the pump covers you mention? (The bits in middle of pic)

Cheers
Paul G

Carb refurb
Carb refurb

[Edited on 26/5/15 by 907]

alfas

posted on 26/5/15 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
the pumps are the red ones with the metal centre...they are in the same time gasket as well as pump-membrane

posted on 27/5/15 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I've been puzzling.

Alfas, you recommend a flow meter ( ? ) that measures air speed ( ? ) going into the carb, before the throttle butterfly.

Cliftyhanger, you recommend a quad vacuum gauge that measures vacuum after the throttle butterfly.

As a numpty can I ask yourselves, or indeed anyone, if there's a difference between the two methods?

The reason for asking is that I have a set of gauges that were left in my garage years ago, and when I asked him several
months later he said "Keep them. I don't have a bike anymore."

Cheers,
Paul G

Description
Description

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/5/15 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Those should be fine.
I really think they are more accurate and far easier to use once all plugged in. Somewhere (mind is fading as I get older) there should be a blank plug on each throttle, and a mig tip can be screwed in. I think 6mm, but might be 5? Anyway, connect up and it measures the vacuum so easily and without disturbing the airflow. Sticking the individual gauge in each opening must affect the airflow?

So yes, I would be using the ones you have! May be worth checking the calibration. Just swap the connections around once you have balanced the carbs and make sure they still read them balanced.

posted on 27/5/15 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Those should be fine.
I really think they are more accurate and far easier to use once all plugged in. Somewhere (mind is fading as I get older) there should be a blank plug on each throttle, and a mig tip can be screwed in. I think 6mm, but might be 5? Anyway, connect up and it measures the vacuum so easily and without disturbing the airflow. Sticking the individual gauge in each opening must affect the airflow?

So yes, I would be using the ones you have! May be worth checking the calibration. Just swap the connections around once you have balanced the carbs and make sure they still read them balanced.

Cheers for the reply.

Did a Google images and found the plugs. They have a point like a central heating rad bleed screw and the threads M5.

Dashed to the welding spares cupboard to get 4 tips………. they're M6. Bu**er.

A good call though. Tips are cheap as chips.

Thanks
Paul G

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/5/15 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, you need the hobby mig sized tips then!

posted on 27/5/15 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ah, you need the hobby mig sized tips then!

That'll teach me to buy a Lincoln.

David Jenkins

posted on 27/5/15 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
Hi Paul

I have one of these gauges if you want to borrow it you are more than welcome,

Sean

...and I have another, if you want to try a pair!

With my bike carbs, I just shove the gauge into each inlet in turn - kept moving it around and adjusting until I was happy with the result. Made a huge difference.

posted on 27/5/15 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offers, but I think that balancing is my secondary task.

A clean and blow through the various jets & petrol/air ways is the first job, then new diagrams & seals.

The kit arrived today.

The engine seems to run rough, maybe on three cylinders, but if I blip the throttle repeatedly it picks up and runs
smooth for a few moments.
I assume this is the extra fuel squirted in by the accelerator pumps richening the mixture so I deduce that one or more
jets are blocked or partially blocked.

Half a dozen m5 mig tips will only cost a couple of quid so I'll order some anyway.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's been a big help.

Cheers
Paul G

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/5/15 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to borrow the special gauge thingy for checking the accelerator pump I have one (somewhere).....
David Jenkins

posted on 27/5/15 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I used spray carb cleaner on my old Weber down-draught carb - evil stuff, not to be used in an enclosed space!

Unless you want to talk to the nice little flying pink elephants, that is...

posted on 28/5/15 at 04:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
If you want to borrow the special gauge thingy for checking the accelerator pump I have one (somewhere).....

You have lost me on that one mate.
What does it check? I've not come across one before.

Paul G

posted on 28/5/15 at 05:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I used spray carb cleaner on my old Weber down-draught carb - evil stuff, not to be used in an enclosed space!

Did the pink elephants clean the inside or the outside of the carbs?
Mine are only 45mm. That's more like pink mouse size.

Paul G

cliftyhanger

posted on 28/5/15 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:

You have lost me on that one mate.
What does it check? I've not come across one before.

Paul G

Checks the accelerator pumps are delivering the correct amount of fuel. I think it can be done with just a test tube or similar. I picked it up when I was having issues with hesitation when I planted my right foot, but turned out to be another issue altogether....

posted on 28/5/15 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hesitation before planting your right foot is nothing to do with the carbs.

It's called getting older……

Or as I prefer to think of it, more experienced.

Paul G

cliftyhanger

posted on 28/5/15 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I hope I am growing old disgracefully
David Jenkins

posted on 28/5/15 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Did the pink elephants clean the inside or the outside of the carbs?
Mine are only 45mm. That's more like pink mouse size.

Paul G

The pink elephants are a bit difficult to get into the jets - I needed to use quite a bit of vaseline... (oooer!). Popped out the other side nicely with a bit of compressed air behind them.

posted on 28/5/15 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I will start a new thread.

Is Vaseline soluable in unleaded ?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.