Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Torque wrench advice
chris68

posted on 24/5/15 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Torque wrench advice

Couple of questions regarding the above:

1) Does anyone ever get there wrenches calibrated? Mine is over 20 years old and has always been stored wound completely out so as not to 'set' the mechanism. If so where do you go?

2) Anyone recommend a low range torque wrench ie. from say 5 Nm to 40 Nm. Not looking at top end prices.

Thanks

Slimy38

posted on 24/5/15 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I got the Halfords low range torque wrench a few years ago, but it seems to be just shy of £100 now and there's no way I would have paid that much!! Machine Mart have a Clarke one for £24.

Cromwell tools do a calibration test, it's around £40;

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/calibration/calibration-repair

If you don't want mega accuracy, I'd have said a decent weight at a fixed distance from the pivot point would give something that is 'reasonable'.

[Edited on 24/5/15 by Slimy38]

Smoking Frog

posted on 24/5/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Compare you torque wench with a few of you mates at a low, mid and high setting. Sorry cant' recommend one, mines a old cheap one.
jollygreengiant

posted on 24/5/15 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Local Snap-On rep can/will send them off for calibration/checking/overhaul. They should send them to their Kettering Repair/Service centre. Last one I had done was a Britool one that hadn't been used for probably 10 - 15 years and stored in a shed. It was solid and got replaced with a new one for the cost of checking. (but that was 10 years ago).

P.S. where in Bognor do you live, I was born in Nyewood Lane (don't live there now) and lived there until 1971 aged 12. U2U reply to this question IF you wish to reply.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

IanSouthLincs

posted on 27/5/15 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Teng Tools do one reasonably priced at around #45 from Screwfix, I've got the higher range Teng Torque wrench and had absolutely no problems with it, seems very well made.
AntonUK

posted on 27/5/15 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for the teng one... great bit of kit

Build Photos Here

coyoteboy

posted on 27/5/15 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
DIY calibration? Known arm length + mass = torque

Mr C

posted on 27/5/15 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Another for the teng. Also carolus if you want something more top market.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

britishtrident

posted on 28/5/15 at 05:37 AM Reply With Quote
Strange as it may seem the 3/8" low range torque wrenches occasionally sold by Lidl are identical to some well known brands.

Checking torque wrenches is simple as already mentioned itb is simply force x distance.
The electronic luggage spring balances sold on for weighing luggage EBay are surprisingly accurate and very very cheap and ideal for the purpose.

One important point is if you want to preserve the calibration of a torque wrench is to back the torque setting before you store it to prevent the spring tension from reducing.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

coyoteboy

posted on 28/5/15 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I hadn't considered the luggage scale - great idea!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.