Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: overheating - vents or something esle
aka Keith

posted on 25/5/15 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
overheating - vents or something esle

Bit of a backstory here. Had the car out at couple of weeks ago and a coolant hose split, dumped the coolant and the engine overheated (red light flashing on the zx9r clocks). Pulled onto the side of the m25, and cooled her down over a couple of hours waiting on the recovery truck to arrive.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, I have replace the pipes with silicone hose and floored the engine bay (always wanted to do it, and replacing the pipework, offered me the opportunity to do it).

I was out on a shakedown yesterday and the temp was fine while I was pootling about, but after a spirited session the temps where rising towards the danger zone and coolant is being spat out of the pressure relief on the radiator. Is it simply the case that I need to put more vents in the bonnet/panels or do these symptoms point to something else. I am happy to start cutting holes in the fibreglass, but the car as run for years without overheating and the only difference now was the overheating issue on the motorway and panelling the floor of the engine bay.

currently have micra radiator, vents I the nosecone and vents in the side of the bonnet and a vent at the back of the engine bay floor. ( as per my avatar)

Cheers
Craig

[Edited on 25/5/15 by aka Keith]

[Edited on 25/5/15 by aka Keith]

matt5964

posted on 25/5/15 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Think you have stated it, paneling the engine bay floor thus trapping the hot air in one place and creating an air pressure lock.

You could put from events on the bonnet top at bulk head end.

Also have you tried water wetter a radiator additive, I put some in mine and noticed a reduction in fluid temp.

I thinking of a alli radiator next.

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

daveb666

posted on 25/5/15 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Scoops let air in, not out. If your floor is totally panelled the air has nowhere to go.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

mark chandler

posted on 25/5/15 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Water wetter helped mine, on the track with lots of speed it handles heat okay, short bursts such as sprints it does get hot still.
OliilO

posted on 25/5/15 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I think you've answered your own question with regards to the floor. If it's easily removable, maybe try removing it and seeing if that helps confirm that it's the floor that is the issue.

If it is, some flared side panels may solve the issue.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/5/15 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Vents at the back of the bottom and flared sidepanels will help!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

jossey

posted on 25/5/15 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
vents near the scuttle or bonnet. Or side vents will help.

Get a bigger fan on the rad too this may help and then see how you get on.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 25/5/15 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I've not got a bike engine, or paneled floor. But I put rear vents in my bonnet AND I put a cowl round the exhaust manifold so heat from the manifold does not add to engine bay temps. Check out my photo album on here.

and

Never had ANY heating issues.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

kj

posted on 25/5/15 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using anti freeze, I have same engine, vent in nose cone and scoop plus vents at the rear of the bonnet. It used to get very hot and use water without anti freeze.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

alex1991

posted on 25/5/15 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Also add exhaust wrap to the list of stuff to do if you haven't already done it.

I'm getting overheating issues stuck in traffic so I will be adding some vents.

kj

posted on 25/5/15 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have exhaust wrap too

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

threadbare wallet

posted on 25/5/15 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Water pump getting weak? But gota agree with above let the air flow,i had issues in traffic so got the hole saw out and put a few holes next to the exhaust manifold,you can see the heat haze when the fans come on and it cools a treat now can still get a little warm on hard motorway runs so will need another vent near the scuttle but you have to let it out as well as in.

Very few things are "really" needed.

Irony

posted on 25/5/15 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you have outlet vents at the top of the bonnet just in front of the driver do you notice a blast of hot air in the face? Just wondering?
scimjim

posted on 25/5/15 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'd check for a cooked head gasket/warped head before I started cutting holes?
austin man

posted on 25/5/15 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon it could be gasket failure from the previous overheating. do a sniffer check on the cooling system. MK do modified side panels to all the heat out

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

aka Keith

posted on 26/5/15 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
By sniffer check, you mean the hydrocarbon one? Will see if I can find a local garage that is friendly.

cheers
Craig

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.