Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cost effective alternative
sammundo

posted on 27/5/15 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Cost effective alternative

Hi folks.
My locost is starting to take shape and as yet the budget is looking very good. With the suspension now purchased and half fitted the next big purchase is the engine. I was thinking zetec but the free engine I had is starting to look about good for the money so will be making its way to the scrap man. My next thought was a bike engine. I've had a look around and have found what I think is a good alternative. Has any one ever fitted anything like an fj1100 or 1200. Or maybe a gpz1000. I know it's no zx12 but compared with early blades it looks, on paper at least, to be worth a look. As specially at under £100. I'm not to fussed about it being the fastest thing out there but I'd like to do a bike engine.
Thoughts?
Cheers

Slimy38

posted on 27/5/15 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
The normal approach for bike engines is to maximise power to weight ratios, hence the ZX12/Blackbird/R1 crop of engines. But I applaud the out of the box thinking when it comes to engine choice. If I was doing bike engine I'd go for an Aprilia V or even one of the honda equivalents.

I have seen a couple of cars use the Thunderace engine, that seems to be a decent compromise between price and power. And I'm sure there has been at least one GPZ1000.

In any case I would go for a full bike and strip it for the parts, as opposed to getting a bare engine. You can guarantee your 'bargain engine' will be rendered completely useless because it didn't come with a sensor or something that is no longer available outside of a full bike.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 27/5/15 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I think it will end up costing you more in the long run to get something left field like a GPZ engine and install it rather than looking for something proven like an early Fireblade/R1.

I recently sold an 893 Fireblade engine complete with carbs, ECU and with a baffled sump for £185, it just needed wiring up.

It always costs more when you are the first to do something as there is the trial and error costs and thre are no 2nd hand bits.

Thunderace engine could be a good deal, but I would look to see if it uses the same sump pan as an R1, if it does then you will be able to source a cheap baffled sump as well.

Personally I would keep an eye out in the for sale section for a cheap used engine package.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
kingster996

posted on 27/5/15 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to bear in mind is that the bare engine will always be the 'cheap' bit.

The bits you need to make it work in a RWD car will be the bits that cost the money - CEC or BEC.

You will need prop adaptors, prop, reverse gear, gear linkages, modified sump for a BEC and bell housing, sump, modified alternator, clutch, flywheel etc for a CEC - and then there's the one-off exhaust system and of course if you are going for IVA, there's emissions to consider - which might mean throttle bodies, cat, fuel injection, ECU, mapping etc.

It soon adds up and can very easily run to a couple of grand before you blink.

So, as has been suggested, you will often be much better looking for a proven complete package that someone else is upgrading from.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

JAG

posted on 27/5/15 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
The FJ100 and later FJ1200 bike engines are used in the Legends Race cars...

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

rf900rush

posted on 27/5/15 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
My first engine was a Suzuki RF900RR followed by a ZX12R.
Both were in a Dax Rush.
Although the ZX12R was a good upgrade I was never dissapointed with the 900.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sammundo

posted on 28/5/15 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. Food for thought. Think a package might be the way to go. We'll see what comes up.
kj

posted on 28/5/15 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
You will need the reverse box for the IVA test, i would get it through with the car engine get used to it then change to a bike engine.
When i change from 1700 x-flow to Kawasaki zx9 i actually made money from the conversion.
I did buy a Thunderrace engine which did run etc but then the box decided to act up, so it was a change to the ZX9 a whole new power delivery.
You can always buy your BEC parts as you go.

[Edited on 28/5/15 by kj]

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

kj

posted on 28/5/15 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Where in the Uk are you. i would add your location

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

threadbare wallet

posted on 28/5/15 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Also consider the triumph 595s engine they are cheap now and plenty if power and lighter than things like the gpz and thunderace etc. Great noise and that bit dufferent.

Very few things are "really" needed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.