Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2-stroke experts? No power from engine
ChrisW

posted on 27/5/15 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
2-stroke experts? No power from engine

Sorry for a second "won't go" post in a week. Hoping there are some people who know a bit about 2-stroke engines.

Engine is in a goped aka scooter with an engine. It's the standard 'strimmer' type, 35cc I guess, with a centrifugal clutch and reduction gearbox.

It starts up and runs fine, will rev up and spin the rear wheel, but as soon as any load is on it it dies. At first I thought it was a mixture issue but try as I might I can't get it to produce any power.

Is this a sign that the engine is knackered? eg not holding compression or something like that? Or should I think about changing the carb perhaps?

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madteg

posted on 27/5/15 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Could be exhaust blocked with carbon. I used to have to clean exhaust out with caustic soda now and again, You could try it with exhaust of just to check.
ChrisW

posted on 27/5/15 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Worth a shot I guess! Thanks.

Any other suggestions?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 27/5/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Piston rings or head gasket. My 100cc was the same, start, rev but no power..

New piston and head gasket and ring ring off we go..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

alfiebeard

posted on 27/5/15 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Stale Fuel or possibly crankcase full of fuel or crankshaft oil seals dried out (if its stood a while)

Alfie

[Edited on 27/5/15 by alfiebeard]

Old bloke on a mission with 320BHP of help

ChrisW

posted on 27/5/15 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone.

Exhaust isn't the issue. It's just as gutless without the exhaust and also upsets my neighbours!

Stale fuel is out - I replaced the fuel tank and put fresh fuel in it

Rings, gasket, oil seals etc, yeah could be. I've no idea of this thing's history.

Just been out and tried fiddling with the mixture again. It's better, turns out I had it far too lean before, but it's still hit and miss. One minute it will go (quite well actually) but the next it just bogs and dies when you put load on it.

I take it a weak spark couldn't be the cause? I had to take the coil (with integrated magneto) and flywheel off to drill out the fuel tank mounts that the previous owner had snapped off. I only guessed what the gap should be between the flywheel magnet and the coil.

Chris

My gaff my rules

alfiebeard

posted on 27/5/15 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
The Gap between the coil and the flywheel could cause rough running what I usually do is get the coil as close as possible without touching the flywheel then if it runs well leave it there if not move it in 10 thou increments until it runs best. if its too far away from the flywheel it will effectively alter the ignition timing by a small degree or two. also just another thought it has got an air filter of some description on hasn't it? if not the mixture at high revs will be too lean.

Alfie

Old bloke on a mission with 320BHP of help

Oddified

posted on 28/5/15 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Set the coil-flywheel gap to 0.4mm, any closer and the flywheel will rub the coil at high rpm. Check the in tank pick up, quite often they get blocked up restricting fuel flow (not cleanable, fit a new one). Check the clutch, if the spring is very week or broken then it will bog/be flat.

Could also be a tired piston ring as mentioned above but from your description it's less likely than one of those.

Ian

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/5/15 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
If it runs well but then suddenly losses power it's most likely a blocked jet causing a weak mixture when you try to accelerate. Compression issues don’t come and go and neither do ignition ones unless something’s falling off.
coyoteboy

posted on 28/5/15 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Lean mixtures are hard to ignite, if the mixture is leaning out it could be showing up a weak spark.

ChrisW

posted on 28/5/15 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I'll give the carb a good clean out tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Chris

My gaff my rules

ChrisW

posted on 31/5/15 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I think I sussed it.... I had the carb on back to front. I think that's it anyway - it seemed a lot better with it turned around the other way but was getting a bit late to test it properly.

Will report again tomorrow.

Chris

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.