Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes BMW 6pot build back on, at last!!
Nickp

posted on 3/8/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
Sump's now finished. Just need to measure how much capacity I've lost. I intend to fit a big oil cooler (possibly 30 row) to gain a bit of capacity back and keep cool what I do have.

Looks like the sump now holds about 4-4.5 litres, which I reckon will be fine with a good sized oil cooler

Had it installed and it sits 35-40mm below the bottom rails. I reckon that's a decent compromise, just need to sort a sturdy sump guard for it.

[Edited on 4/8/15 by Nickp]

dave_424

posted on 3/8/15 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to note, is that a lambda sensor shouldn't be pointed up like in your picture because condensation can collect and run down into the sensor causing it to fail. The build looks like it's going great
Nickp

posted on 3/8/15 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
One thing to note, is that a lambda sensor shouldn't be pointed up like in your picture because condensation can collect and run down into the sensor causing it to fail.

Ta for the tip, I'll bear it in mind

Nickp

posted on 4/8/15 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
One thing to note, is that a lambda sensor shouldn't be pointed up like in your picture because condensation can collect and run down into the sensor causing it to fail. The build looks like it's going great

Is this more acceptable? It's as near to level as I could get it-

dave_424

posted on 4/8/15 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Certainly better than before, if it becomes a problem in the future you can just relocate it to another place where you can have it more upright
CTLeeds

posted on 7/8/15 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick, I'm following your build with real interest! I'm embarking on a Dax Rush build using the same engine so really keen to see how you get on. Have you had the engine running at all since it was extracted from the donor?

Regards,

Chris

Nickp

posted on 8/8/15 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CTLeeds
Hi Nick, I'm following your build with real interest! I'm embarking on a Dax Rush build using the same engine so really keen to see how you get on. Have you had the engine running at all since it was extracted from the donor?

Regards,

Chris

No it hasn't run yet but I have a pretty simple wiring diagram that should remedy that.

DRM Black7

posted on 8/8/15 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Regards,

Chris

Sorry to hijack the thread, can you still get Dax Rush body work etc?

CTLeeds

posted on 14/8/15 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRM Black7
quote:

Regards,

Chris

Sorry to hijack the thread, can you still get Dax Rush body work etc?

Hi, The Dax Rush project was bought by a company in Leeds called MAN Motorsport. They have had the project for a little while and are nearly ready to release it to the market officially. Their new demonstrator has an E46 M3 engine in it and promises to be a bit of a beast! They are updating the project to be based around a BMW E46 donor but will take any engine using a new sub frame design for the chassis. The new chassis design is 20% lighter and 30% stiffer than the original Dax design using all round tube. They do have the jigs and moulds and may have some spare parts that you need, they got a lot of stuff from Harlow. It's worth giving Matt Pett a ring on 0113 287 7619 if you need anything as he'll be able to tell you exactly what's what. I know he's a bit snowed under trying to get old Dax customers sorted before he can concentrate on new business.

Cheers

CTLeeds

posted on 19/8/15 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Regards,

Chris

No it hasn't run yet but I have a pretty simple wiring diagram that should remedy that.

Hi Nick, any chance I could get a sneaky peak at your wiring diagram?

Thanks,

Chris

Nickp

posted on 7/9/15 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've had to remove the 2 rear frame support tubes due to the width of my fuel tank. So I'm adding these 2 extra ones which should also add a bit of protection to the foam filled tank too.

Also added an extra tube brace across the top rail, 2 bolt on cross braces to bolt a sump guard to, welded up the new lower engine mounts and sorted the rad mounts too

MBrown

posted on 7/9/15 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've had to remove the 2 rear frame support tubes due to the width of my fuel tank. So I'm adding these 2 extra ones which should also add a bit of protection to the foam filled tank too.

Also added an extra tube brace across the top rail, 2 bolt on cross braces to bolt a sump guard to, welded up the new lower engine mounts and sorted the rad mounts too

I recognise that idea of a longer fuel tank and those bracing bars from somewhere......lol - our builds are turning out so similar!

I also put an additional 2 pieces of box section to support those bracing bars and the steel plate they join to, which are difficult to see in my above pic but you can see them below

[Edited on 7/9/15 by MBrown]

Nickp

posted on 7/9/15 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ha ha, I hadn't seen yours. Great minds think alike eh?

I'm fancying the Equinox 'boot with lid', not the cheapest solution but it does look neat - http://equinoxproducts.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63
I've emailed them for dimensions to make sure it clears everything including the tank.

[Edited on 7/9/15 by Nickp]

MBrown

posted on 7/9/15 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ha ha, I hadn't seen yours. Great minds think alike eh?

I'm fancying the Equinox 'boot with lid', not the cheapest solution but it does look neat - http://equinoxproducts.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63
I've emailed them for dimensions to make sure it clears everything including the tank.

[Edited on 7/9/15 by Nickp]

I'd definately recommend it! See below

MBrown

posted on 7/9/15 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I still need to do a little bit to the boot for it to fit but once in I will have approx 1.5-2cm clearance from RS11/RS12/RS6 and D12 - hope that helps

Nickp

posted on 7/9/15 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Ah cool, didn't realise you had one. How deep is it?
MBrown

posted on 7/9/15 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
The boots usable space space is 24cm deep x 36cm x 56.5. It looks like a good size for a haynes
Nickp

posted on 7/9/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MBrown
The boots usable space space is 24cm deep x 36cm x 56.5. It looks like a good size for a haynes

I'm wondering if it'll clear my filler neck? I think not

MBrown

posted on 7/9/15 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
From looking at yours I don't think it will clear the filler neck, that is the reason I went with a longer tank so I could put the filler and fuel sender at the ends to avoid the boot.

To change your tank would be a pain, or to block off and put the fuel filler towards one end would probably ruin your tank as the finish is so nice. You could always put a 90 degree on the fuel filler so it comes out the back then amend the boot space slightly to accommodate it

Nickp

posted on 7/9/15 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, bit of a qwandry. I could do with trying one to see if it'll be do-able before splashing the cash. Whereabouts are you based? Nowhere near Barnsley I'll bet
MBrown

posted on 7/9/15 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately not, I'm near Milton Keynes - i wonder if Equinox have a full diagram of dimensions so you can have a better idea
Nickp

posted on 19/9/15 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Rear roll bar made and primed-

Still deciding what to do for the rear seatbelt mounts. I'll probably put a cross piece between the bottom of the roll bar legs. Am I right in thinking that std 25mm chassis tube won't be strong enough over such a span? I might get another piece of the 40mm box that I used for the rear supports and weld 4 crush tubes into it.

Nickp

posted on 27/9/15 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Rear tub and one side panel roughly fitted. Wasn't keen chopping lumps and holes out of these nice new panels but I'm starting to get over these jitters I think now
Got to say this Equinox bodywork is very sturdy and well made

Nickp

posted on 30/11/15 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Added the remaining fixed chassis panels before it all gets painted next-

Looking forward to getting some paint on it and finally get it rolling

Nickp

posted on 30/11/15 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Pedal box trial fitted-

Shiny!!

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.