Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie questions
nichnachs

posted on 30/6/15 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie questions

Hi there,

I have just acquired a built chassis, a Ron Champion one - which has been painted (quite badly). Has anyone got a good method of removing the old paint back to the bare metal so I can tidy it all up how I want it? Also once this is done - what would you guys say is the next stage, i.e which bits should I be looking at building and fitting first.

Thanks guys, I look forward to sharing this journey with you!!

John.

dilley

posted on 30/6/15 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
May be worth getting a price on shot blasting.
Dick Axtell

posted on 30/6/15 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Why in such a rush to strip your chassis? You will need to determine what additional brackets will be necessary, and where they'll be placed, so you will than have to remove to paint locally to any weld area, clean it, and then re-paint to prevent corrosion. Shot blasting (and possible powder coating) is done only after all those brackets are finished.

Which all goes out the window, if like me, you later change the engine (which I'm right in the middle of doing!!).

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

nichnachs

posted on 30/6/15 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I see what you mean about making mods and adding brackets etc, just thought this would be easier with a bare metal chassis, then paint it all after? Just seemed to make sense to me, but maybe not. Done a few resto's on old Triumphs in the past and I always stripped things back before starting anything. Shot blasting is probably a bit out of my price range so I was going to find a method of doing it myself to keep costs down.
Blueosis1

posted on 1/7/15 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
dippig it might be worth a go ,they usally coat it after wards aswell

mark

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.