Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 as donor car
bumpy

posted on 5/8/15 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 as donor car

I am looking to be a bit creative and perhaps assemble a JBA Falcon type of car using an MX5 donor.

Now the JBA Falcon has its own chassis and the challenge is to integrate that with the MX5 parts.

If I understand it correctly the MX5 has a front and rear chassis joined by a central 'rail' that offers little or no integral strength to what would be a complete rolling chassis.

My first thought would be to isolate the front and rear chassis assemblies and then integrate them into the JBA chassis to make a single structure. This would solve most problems of mounting the various major components of engine, gearbox, diff and lower suspension brackets.

My first question is "do the MX5 front and rear chassis have enough inherent strength to make this a possibility"

micksalt

posted on 5/8/15 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bumpy
My first question is "do the MX5 front and rear chassis have enough inherent strength to make this a possibility"

Don't see why not, MEV have been using the full sub-frame assembly for years. As long as your pick-up points are OK, no mither.

RollingSubframe
RollingSubframe

[Edited on 5/8/2015 by micksalt]

adithorp

posted on 5/8/15 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Notquite right.The MX5 has front and rear sub-frames mounted to the body shell but also joined to each other with a beam between them. The sub-frames are substantial enough and the beam is there to add ridgidity, as the shell (being a soft-top) alone would have too much flex.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bumpy

posted on 5/8/15 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent news guys so far.

Next question

The donor car will almost certainly be an MOT failure due probably to rust problems.

I know rust affects wings, cills etc, but do the subframes escape the ravages. If not where to look for damage for problems.

coozer

posted on 5/8/15 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add, the beam connecting the subframes also acts as gearbox support/mount.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bumpy

posted on 5/8/15 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Just to add, the beam connecting the subframes also acts as gearbox support/mount.

Useful to know. Thanks

micksalt

posted on 5/8/15 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sub-frames do succumb to metal rot. I've just stripped an MX-5 with not a lot of meat left on the rear sub-frame. Front sub-frame was fine and of course, the aluminium PPF linking the two was untarnished. What you might want to consider is retaining part of the PPF to act as gearbox support.
bumpy

posted on 5/8/15 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Good suggestion about the PPF (whatever that stands for )

If the rear subframe is shot can (new) replacements be bought, and if so where?

micksalt

posted on 5/8/15 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Power Plant Frame, the bit that links the two subframes together. However, if you do this, you'll have to ensure that the chassis gives good alignment between the gearbox and diff. The PPF guarantees this. Many kit cars do not use the PPF, my future Vortx included so just follow whatever practice they use.

[Edited on 5/8/2015 by micksalt]

prawnabie

posted on 5/8/15 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
The ppf doesn't link the subframes together with any strength, it links the gearbox casing to the diff casing, both of these are rubber monted to the subframes (well the engine is, not the gearbox)

[Edited on 5/8/15 by prawnabie]

Slimy38

posted on 5/8/15 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not that I know of, but there are literally hundreds of MX5's being binned that have perfectly good rear subframes. Take your pick.

One thing to be aware of (if you don't know already), the subframes don't hold the upper suspension mounts. The car itself has to bridge the gap between subframe and top mount.

bumpy

posted on 5/8/15 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

Not that I know of, but there are literally hundreds of MX5's being binned that have perfectly good rear subframes. Take your pick.

One thing to be aware of (if you don't know already), the subframes don't hold the upper suspension mounts. The car itself has to bridge the gap between subframe and top mount.

Thanks for that.

Regarding the suspension, I am picturing a lower wishbone on the subframe and single point upper fixing that will be engineered to fit to the new chassis. I guess that adjustable coilovers can be used to replace the existing springs.

Slimy38

posted on 5/8/15 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 already uses coilovers, they're just a bit big and not adjustable. Reusing the same design upper mounts should give you plenty of options, although depending on the weight of the car you might need to reduce the spring rates?
maccmike

posted on 5/8/15 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis rails rust
bumpy

posted on 5/8/15 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
Chassis rails rust

Yes, bit worrying when you read about that. From what I can tell the construction of the chassis rails was changed from the Mk2 onwards to introduce a crumple zone but it also introduced rust.

[Edited on 5/8/15 by bumpy]

Slimy38

posted on 5/8/15 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Surely that works in your favour though? It just means that Mark 2's end up as MOT failures in bits of the car that you're not planning to reuse?
bumpy

posted on 5/8/15 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Surely that works in your favour though? It just means that Mark 2's end up as MOT failures in bits of the car that you're not planning to reuse?

It certainly works if the rails are not part of the front chassis. So, are the rails part of the front chassis or part of the bodywork structure?

[Edited on 5/8/15 by bumpy]

l5tuy

posted on 15/9/15 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
My mk2 was terrible with rust, including the chassis rails. The rails crumpled during jack up, as for the floor pans, literally crumbled to touch. Typical Jap cars, good running gear but poor corrosion protection on bodies.

Stu

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/9/15 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree, I was all up for buying an mk3 mx5 until I just gave up finding a rust free example, some of the undersides were horrific and looked like the whole car had been parked in the sea even though the upper bodywork looked immaculate. Even suspension and subframes looked in dangerous condition.

Tbh I’m seeing this with quite a few jap cars and my Almeria, Corolla and Avensis where all basically written off due to terminal underside rust that was just not worth fixing yet they all looked great from above. Hence I’m back to the Volvo’s which are really well protected underneath.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.