Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin-top MOT and SORN advice
andylancaster3000

posted on 9/8/15 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Tin-top MOT and SORN advice

Looking for a bit of advice regarding MOTs and SORN. Expect the masses here are quite familiar this!

Living out of the UK at the moment and have a road car laid up at home, which is due for an MOT next week. Until now I’ve kept it MOTd, insured and taxed for a couple of reasons but I now cant MOT it until I return to the UK in October. I was planning to SORN the car, let the MOT lapse and deal with it in October. But I wondered whether I can avoid the SORN hassle, allow the MOT to lapse and then just put it through an MOT when I return (with a pre-booked appointment of course)?

I.e. If it’s not being used and its not on public land, are there any implications with leaving it taxed and insured but without MOT? Financial benefit in SORNing it is minimal.

Any advice appreciated.

CosKev3

posted on 9/8/15 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Not that I understand,only needs MOT to be driven on the road surely?

Its just insurance and tax that are linked,ie if its taxed it must now be insured.

chillis

posted on 9/8/15 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
So long as its not being used on the road, then a car can be insured and taxed without mot, but if the tax runs out then it must be sorned ( can still be insured)
If the insurance runs out or is stopped then you must sorn and any remaining eligible tax will be refunded.
If the mot lapses then you must have insrance before driving the car to an mot station but I guess you already knew that.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

blakep82

posted on 9/8/15 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Not that I understand,only needs MOT to be driven on the road surely?

Its just insurance and tax that are linked,ie if its taxed it must now be insured.

And you can't re-tax it if its got no not, if that's due before October?

I'm not sure what the sorn hassle is though? Just go online and do it?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 9/8/15 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I thought un-SORNing was going to be a hassle but it wasn't. Even though I'd lost the V5 (or rather "misplaced" it- it's there somewhere) I just rang the DVLA who took the money over the phone for the tax. Job done! Got my Locost through an MOT, road-taxed, job done.
Vmax1974

posted on 9/8/15 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry benb will try that again here instead of u2u

I put my citroen back on the road and I was able to insuse amd tax the car before I took it for test so you may be ok till you get back

andylancaster3000

posted on 16/8/15 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, chaps.

Just decided to SORN. As you say - very easy!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.