Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Strimmer Heads
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/9/15 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Strimmer Heads

Has anyone got an recomnedations for a decent quality head for a curved shaft petrol strimmer?

The head that came with my new petrol strimmer is garbage, the nylon wears breaks up and it keeps randomly disapearing back up into the head so I have to dismatle it about 3 times everytime I do the garden.

I have had a search and most of the petrol strimmer heads seem to be for straight shaft strimmers or vaguely listed as '99% Universal' and there are thousands of different ones.

I just want to cut the grass round the lawn, nothing more strenuous but I want it to be reliable.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dhutch

posted on 8/9/15 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Only ever used stihl angle-head units but the heads on those always feel solid as, all be it normally used with a steel blade.

The little black and decker electric on we have for round the drive has the 'wire goes in side' issue but is pretty quick to get it out again.

Daniel

mac1ZR

posted on 8/9/15 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
I know this isn't helpful, but strimmers either petrol or electric seem to perform very poorly. I have tried different ones and found that they are all rubbish, spend more time messing with the feed than cutting the grass. I recently contacted Flymo and asked them when they were going to bring out one that worked properly. They said that all there products were first class and the problem was due to operator error!!
Irony

posted on 8/9/15 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have had good results from my screw fix cheapy Titan Strimmer/Hedge Cutter. Had it about a year and now I understand it works well. You just bang the head on the ground and a bit more line is fed out.

I have bought a few screwfix TITAN tools and they have all been superb DIY tools. I am sure if you use these 'heavy' tools on a daily basis they will wear out faster than the professional counterparts. If I had the money I would buy Stilh. But for the normal gardener my TITAN works fine. Just check out the positive review count!!!!!!!!

Titan Strimmer

Having looked at the page again I can say that the tool is great, the strap/harness rubbish.

v8kid

posted on 8/9/15 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I use Ryobi (petrol and electric) with no problems. The 1kw electric model is as powerful as an petrol but much lighter which makes a difference if you are using all day. I have a tow behind genny on the garden tractor but otherwise long electric leads are a pain.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 8/9/15 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
My ryobi petrol curved petrol strimmer has been 100% reliable. 10 x quicker than the crap electric ones. Quick tap on the ground auto feeds the wire perfectly. Don't skimp on cheap strimmer wire tho.
Adamirish

posted on 8/9/15 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Try and find one that fits and gives 2 lines from the head if you only have one. Also get one that with let you use thicker line or drill out the holes to accept thicker line you can buy packs of eyelets to allow this. I am using 3mm line in my Kawasaki at the moment and short of really smashing it into a hard corner, it never breaks. As an ex golf course green keeper I feel your pain, it is a real PITA!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/9/15 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
Try and find one that fits and gives 2 lines from the head if you only have one. Also get one that with let you use thicker line or drill out the holes to accept thicker line you can buy packs of eyelets to allow this. I am using 3mm line in my Kawasaki at the moment and short of really smashing it into a hard corner, it never breaks. As an ex golf course green keeper I feel your pain, it is a real PITA!

Cheers, Do you have any links for places to buy them or specific brand recommendations?

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Staple balls

posted on 8/9/15 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
As far as strimmers go, i've got a ~30 year old echo that just works, cost me less than a tonne and has handled everything I've done with it (including felling ~100 christmas trees with 1" trunks) FiL has a ryobi thing that falls apart in different ways hilariously regularly, I think the motor came off the shaft last month.

Bump heads are arsepants, I've got one like this that doesn't do anything clever, nor does it break the line badly enough to require surgery.

Incidentally, I'm a fan of stihl square line but I find it a touch more breaky than round stuff, though that could be because it cuts woody stuff better, and thus I abuse it.

I also find this variety of blade most pleasing for general use, the stihl ones are a bit heavy for my machine.

Adamirish

posted on 8/9/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish

Cheers, Do you have any links for places to buy them or specific brand recommendations?

The eyelets here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-STRIMMER-EYELET-CORD-GUIDE-FERRELL-FITS-ROBIN-RYOBI-STIHL-HUSQVARNA-MAKITA-/271088331872

Any 3mm line will do though the marksman stuff I have at the moment is pretty crap to be honest though it does get hammered. If you are feeling flush then toro line is great as is stihl.

What make is your strimmer?

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.