Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hillman Imp distributor advice
softfeet

posted on 1/10/15 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hillman Imp distributor advice

I have just started the rebuild of a Hillman Imp derived engine for use in my special. The engine is actually from a Chrysler / Talbot Sunbeam 1.0, so is already configured for front engine rear wheel drive.

The engine is complete apart from a distributor. My question is what type should I use? The Sunbeam used an early type of electronic ignition, the parts for which are now probably unobtainable. I could revert to a traditional points and condenser set up or use a modern contactless type. If I go for a contactless type, which one is best? I would prefer it to look ‘period’ (or hidden) to be in keeping with the rest of the car.

Thanks

axle

posted on 1/10/15 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
you can still get 25D distributor ( SPEEDY SPARES BRIGHTON) or electronic ignition but your cheaper option is the distributor which is what I would fit, if all the contacts are very clean you do get pretty good performance.

hope this is of some help otherwise try the owner club!

Regards Axle

IVA passed 1st time thanks to the Forum members.

gremlin1234

posted on 1/10/15 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
if you don't have a distributer at all, this would be a good option
http://www.simonbbc.com/distributors/4-cylinder?sort=20a&filter_id=11
or (nominally higher power)
http://www.simonbbc.com/distributors/4-cyl-electronic-sports?sort=20a&filter_id=11

(ntdwm, but did get one for a polo a while ago, and that works well)

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 1/10/15 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Memory cells online - working... working....

I ran an Aldon Automotive point-less unit in my Lucas distributor (1040 Imp and 930cc Clan - Sunbeam engine)
Worked beautifully, and yes, no evidence of it being there (except when you removed the cap).

britishtrident

posted on 1/10/15 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Production Imps used distributers from 3 different base types Lucas 25D 43D or Ducellier
Chrysler Sunbeams 928 units generally used 43D distributers 3 different types of ignition system -- (1) very early cars left Linwood with points ignition all of which dealers should have retro fiited with electronic ignition within months, (2) Chrysler US electronic ignition with ballast, (3) Chrysler US Hall Effect Electrontic without ballast. Later on Talbot Sunbeams likely used Ducellier distributers.

Chrysler Competitions department sold non vacuum advance 25D dizzies.

I can't remember if the total mechanical advance on the distributer shaft was 13 or15 degrees but I do know the same amount of mechanical advance was used across the entire Rootes range at the time this was considerably more than Ford who only used 10 degrees. The advance springs would have been different on the other Rootes engines

If you get a distributer from a Hillman Hunter or Hillman Avenger engine it will fit and work. With the 25D distributer it is best to use the side entry cap as used on early Minis.
Now the good news I am pretty sure an Allegro or Mini A or A Plus series distributer is physically straight fit as should be an MGB unit but these may need the advance mechanism modified.

If you intend doing very very high RPM --- ie full house engine running an R22 or R23 cam, then the distributer drive gear (actually on the oil pump) needs changing for a bronze drive gear and tuftrided crank worm

[Edited on 1/10/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

softfeet

posted on 2/10/15 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the helpful advice. The point-less ones look sensible. The side entry cap is a good idea, too.

I just want to get it running for now, the high revving screamer will come later...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.