Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lexus V8 (Specifically 1UR-FSE, 4.6 litre)
NeilP

posted on 25/10/15 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Lexus V8 (Specifically 1UR-FSE, 4.6 litre)

What's the general consensus from the mighty LCB forum on this lump?

I was thinking reasonably lightweight, decent power (375bhp), might be an issue to get the manual box (US Toyota pickups have them) and GS460s must come up pretty cheap as it wasn't exactly a sensible place to put your money at the time...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

coyoteboy

posted on 29/10/15 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
It's an economy engine "fse" head denomination. But do you have a weight for it? I looked round a lot of v8s when I started but didn't fall in love with any of the Toyota engines despite my love of other Toyota engines.

coyoteboy

posted on 29/10/15 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
It's an economy engine "fse" head denomination. But do you have a weight for it? I looked round a lot of v8s when I started but didn't fall in love with any of the Toyota engines despite my love of other Toyota engines.

SteveWallace

posted on 29/10/15 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NeilP
What's the general consensus from the mighty LCB forum on this lump?

I was thinking reasonably lightweight, decent power (375bhp), might be an issue to get the manual box (US Toyota pickups have them) and GS460s must come up pretty cheap as it wasn't exactly a sensible place to put your money at the time...

Hi Neil,

Long time no see.

Is this you starting to think about another project or perhaps swapping the Cosworth lump in your Viento?

Irony

posted on 29/10/15 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have done quite a bit of research into the 1UZ-FE but I don't know anything about it's replacement. Wasn't the earliest version introduced in 2006-7. Getting hold of one might be pretty expensive. Are you thinking of fitting in your Viento? I would't call the power output 'decent' either. More like 'scary' or 'howling at the moon madness'. In a Viento anyway...
NeilP

posted on 31/10/15 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hello folks - sorry for the late reply - much busy at work.

I am indeed thinking about a rebuild. My Viento's been on the road for 8 years now (in the garage for 11) and it's starting to show its age. The full project would be to strip back to the chassis, send it to Matt and Ivan at Procomp to get it straightened (if you recall the original P'bro chassis jig was set up skewed - 1/2 inch shorter on the nhs from memory - so mine is set up with 0.25 deg crab to run straight), have lightened front uprights with some decent anchors, think about inboard damping (more than enough room), new wishbones with built in camber adjustment, anti-roll bars front and rear (critical if I do go for that amount of power), put it all back together, get some new rear wings and put them on the right way around this time, upgrade to some more contemporary lighting, actually get around to trimming the inside this time, fit some better lower seats, fit an Ali v8 (it's not a bad weight - certainly lighter than the cast block of the cossy v6). The FSE was introduced in 2007 and the GS460 looks like a (relatively) cheap way to get it.

And then I'd go and howl

[Edited on 31/10/2015 by NeilP]

If you pay peanuts...

rusty nuts

posted on 31/10/15 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't PPC cover fitting a Lexus lump to a manual box recently? Possibly a Supra box?
froggy

posted on 31/10/15 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've done the manual conversion using very locost bits as the off the shelf stuff is ridiculous . Mine has an external slave so no grief with hydraulics and I used an r154 supra box which I have the cad file for and the cutting program so I can get one made for decent money as I paid for the programming time on mine so the next one will be a lot cheaper . I have mine running on microsquirt with edis 8 and it runs pretty good . I've put twin turbos on but in stock trim they make 280 and without the awful std exhausts I'd imagine closer to 300 hp .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

daniel mason

posted on 31/10/15 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
When I got one of my cars dyno'd.there was a drift car there with a Lexus v8 and supra manual box. It sounded sweet and looked tidy
coozer

posted on 1/11/15 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have a W series gearbox lying in the garage. I always intended to put it in my car in place of the type 9 but never found a locost bell housing solution. Dellow do it but the cost wasn't worth the upgrade. I could have had a top notch HD close ratio type 9 built for less than half!

It is I think a w57. It was attached to a R21 engine that was in a Celica XT. I bought the car in 1993 and broke it for parts.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 1/11/15 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

NeilP

posted on 1/11/15 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - all very useful info...

If you pay peanuts...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.