Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Extended warranties
dave107

posted on 27/10/15 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Extended warranties

Can anyone advise please, just about to buy an Mercedes c220 and been offered by the garage an 3 year extended warranty £795.00, seems a lot of money but this type of car could cost a lot if something went wrong, had a look at other company's offering warranties and some are £400 to £500 a year, you do here all sorts of stories about warranties and company's coming up with reasons not to pay out.
What's the general consensus please.

Dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 27/10/15 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
when i had my garage i dealt with a couple of warranty companies,when you try to claim no-one answers the phone,anything you try to claim for is excluded even tho it is in black and white in front of you or down to wear and tear therefore not covered.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Adamirish

posted on 27/10/15 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Never had one but do make sure you read the small print. I have heard of them wriggling out of alsorts. General wear and tear not covered, wear and tear is a matter of opinion in a lot of cases. Also make sure it covers parts AND labour.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

avagolen

posted on 27/10/15 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say that my Honda extended warranty has been excellent.
Paid the extra £50 for wear and tear. (3 years cover) Front uprights replaced for ball joint wear.
Wing mirrors as folding mechanism has worn out. Alternator.
Brakes / disks / exhaust are not covered. They did replace the clutch though
as it started to slip under full load. When stripped it was well within wear tolerance
but needed the modified pressure plate. That should have been nearly £700.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

Slimy38

posted on 28/10/15 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
A Mercedes backed warranty should be well worth it, a colleague of mine has had a fair few things done on her c class and they've all been rectified without question. Third party warranties are a little more difficult to predict.

Sadly with current Mercedes quality vs parts price I would recommend one. My own C class managed to blow up it's own windscreen wipers, but as it's a lease it just got fixed without question.

britishtrident

posted on 28/10/15 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
A lot of warranty companies try to palm every part off as "a service part" and therefore not covered they will but suddenly back down PDQ when they get a "lawyers letter", one in particular very closely associated with an extremely large dealership chain is notorious for this.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Simon

posted on 28/10/15 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Do what we did! Buy a Kia with 7 year warranty

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.