Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carbon/GRP Seats
WallerZero

posted on 3/11/15 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Carbon/GRP Seats

Hi All,

I'm considering swapping my vinyl/leather seats out of my Zero and replacing them with GRP/Carbon Fibre seats instead. What are people's opinion on these seats? Are they any good for longer distances/prolonged use?

I occasionally travel to my Parents which is about 100miles/2 hours away. Usually I would do this in one go but I feel like I'd have to stop if I am using the GRP as it is less comfortable, even with the padding. Just looking for some user reviews

Thanks

CosKev3

posted on 3/11/15 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Imo it depends on how tall you are,ie how much of your leg will be resting on the seat base to spread the load as such.

My Westfield race seats are slightly padded,but I've had to add some extra foam to the pressure points where my arse is because I'm tall not much of my leg is resting on seat,so puts all your weight on a small area which got uncomfortable for me after 100 odd miles.

adithorp

posted on 3/11/15 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've got GRP seats with pads just cut from camping mat. Done lots of long days in them; many 250/300mile and a few 500mile. Only car that doesn't cause me back pain is the Fury.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

garyo

posted on 3/11/15 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
On long journeys in my Westie I used to find that jamming a full hold-all cross-ways right in front of the seat acted as brilliant leg support - took all of the effort out of motorway drives, with no safety compromise other than making getting in/out slightly more awkward.

Gary

gaz_gaz

posted on 3/11/15 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I had Cobra roadsters before changing to GRP seats.

All the way from Calais to Grenoble in a day only stopping for fuel. Done 2600 miles in a week on that trip with GRP seats with no padding. Had no ill effects. They're much comfier than they look.

Scottish Westy

posted on 3/11/15 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ive used both the Cobra Roadster 7s and GRP seats, found both extremely comfortable even though they are at extreme ends of the spectrum.

Both pairs are for sale too if anybody is interested.

WallerZero

posted on 4/11/15 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys, so far so good. I didn't want to buy them and find they're incredibly uncomfortable even without padding or extra support. I tend to avoid motorways but haven't really done any major trips where my legs have been sat constantly for long periods. I'm short and slim (at 23 I've not hit the dad body yet....although he keeps telling me its due lol)

I guess I'm more worried for my passengers as I can put up with it if I have a spirited drive, but sitting on a longer journey it can get a bit annoying, especially if its colder and uncomfortable...

Has anybody bought a pair of grp/carbon seats from kitcardirect.co.uk? I'm tilting towards the Carbon pair for an extra £30ish a seat over the grp equivalent (http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/popular-products/carbon-fibre-low-side-high-back-seat-shell.html)

Cheers

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

stevec33

posted on 28/12/15 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Im thinking of going for grp seats too, ive got westfield padded race seats but looking to get the car light as possible. A mate has the grp seats in his with no padding and there very comftable
40inches

posted on 28/12/15 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Very comfortable, find ones with a snug hip width. The only other car I drive that doesn't give me lower back pain, is the SAAB.
threadbare wallet

posted on 29/12/15 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
I had semi padded seats ditched them as they were a odd shape for the belts,every one told me grp were comfortable so bought them thinking i will have to get some padding at some point as most saying it were a tad bit more padded them selfs than i am but i have the kitscars direct ones and they are fine for distance,keep ya belts tight so you dont move about and your be fine,the only time they have hurt is on a track day..but i get the the same thing karting so its side to side movement.

Very few things are "really" needed.

rm0rgan

posted on 10/2/16 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have KCD GRP seats fitted. I made some pads more for insulation than anything and have to say find them very comfortable. Mind you, I have some dad bod padding!

DIY Seat pads
DIY Seat pads

[Edited on 10/2/16 by rm0rgan]

Sigs are uncool.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.