Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 205 GTI engine rebuild Qs
nick205

posted on 26/11/15 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
205 GTI engine rebuild Qs

Hi All,

Whilst I'm unable to drive I thought I might pull the 1.9 engine from my 205 GTI and rebuild it.

Not having tackled a wet liner engine before, do I need to disturb and re-seat the liners?

Any thoughts welcome

theconrodkid

posted on 26/11/15 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
isnt it an iron block ?. on linered engines,if you turn the engine you will need to re-seal the liners,not sure on your one but normally you just replace the seals top n bottom if needed.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

perksy

posted on 26/11/15 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
When you say "rebuild" how far are you planning on taking it ?

You can clamp the liners with the head removed if you don't want to disturb them when turning the engine over by hand
But don't put a spanner on the crank and rotate the engine without clamping the liners in place first

There is a liner protrusion dimension that you check with a straight edge and feelers (or similar)

Big end bearings and the oil pump are definitely worth checking when your in there

nick205

posted on 26/11/15 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Well, here's the dilemma...to do it properly people say you should remove the liners, fit new seals and rings etc, but it means a whole load more work and risk if it doesn't go well. I think I'm in favour of removing them and doing it properly, but it will be a ring tightener when it starts for the first time!

ETA...if I leave them it means leaving the pistons, con rods etc, which isn't really doing it properly!

[Edited on 26/11/15 by nick205]

nick205

posted on 26/11/15 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the U2U HowardB, useful thing to know!

perksy

posted on 26/11/15 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Their a whole lot easier to work on when their on an engine stand that's for sure

It really depends on the state of the engine now to be fair ?
If there's no obvious running faults, compressions are good and oil pressure if also good and there's no oil leaks then it might be you just drop the sump off and remove the big end caps for a check ?

A full nut & bolt rebuild of the engine is a different matter and a more expensive one aswell...

loggyboy

posted on 26/11/15 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mi16?

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 26/11/15 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
XU9JA 8v engine

Compression is OK and there are no oil leaks to be seen in the car.

Engine will be coming out and mounted on a stand so best go right in and do it properly :-)

nick205

posted on 26/11/15 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
isnt it an iron block ?. on linered engines,if you turn the engine you will need to re-seal the liners,not sure on your one but normally you just replace the seals top n bottom if needed.

Alloy block and head with wet liners inside.

CosKev3

posted on 26/11/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Some times you have no choice once the head is lifted off,as sometimes a liner can be stuck to head and lift up with the head breaking the seal as you remove head.
The other risk with removing the head and leaving the liners in place is they can lift a tiny amount,which you might not notice then you rebuild with new gaskets etc to find the seal leaking between liner and block.
They are only a big rubber O ring,so go hard/perish over time

loggyboy

posted on 26/11/15 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
XU9JA 8v engine

Was a suggestive question!

Mistral Motorsport

Brian R

posted on 26/11/15 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
One way to break the head to gasket seal without (hopefully) disturbing the liners is to remove all the head bolts as normal bar one in the centre which you'd loosen but not remove.

You then rotate the cylinder head around this remaining loose bolt partially just to break the seal. The head can then be carefully removed as normal. Large washers should then be used using shorter bolts to clamp the liners in place before the engine is turned over. One washer would cover numbers 1 and 2 liners and another for 3 and 4. This twisting method won't work though unfortunately if the head is located by dowels. I can't remember if the 205 engine has dowels or not.

I gave my son a hand to rebuild his 1.9 8v a couple of years ago in his track car. (he'd stripped and cleaned everything). We just honed it as normal and fitted new rings, mains, big ends and all the seals and gaskets etc as you would any engine. We didn't touch the liners at all and used the washers to clamp them. It's a nice engine and still going strong to this day.

snapper

posted on 27/11/15 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Every day is a school day
Don't you just love the knowledge on this forum

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

CosKev3

posted on 27/11/15 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R
One way to break the head to gasket seal without (hopefully) disturbing the liners is to remove all the head bolts as normal bar one in the centre which you'd loosen but not remove.

You then rotate the cylinder head around this remaining loose bolt partially just to break the seal. The head can then be carefully removed as normal. Large washers should then be used using shorter bolts to clamp the liners in place before the engine is turned over. One washer would cover numbers 1 and 2 liners and another for 3 and 4. This twisting method won't work though unfortunately if the head is located by dowels. I can't remember if the 205 engine has dowels or not.

I gave my son a hand to rebuild his 1.9 8v a couple of years ago in his track car. (he'd stripped and cleaned everything). We just honed it as normal and fitted new rings, mains, big ends and all the seals and gaskets etc as you would any engine. We didn't touch the liners at all and used the washers to clamp them. It's a nice engine and still going strong to this day.

Out of interest how many heads have you removed and off what engines that have had no dowels?

I've done a fair few head gaskets and never seen one that does not have dowels.

Brian R

posted on 27/11/15 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
It was the method we used on the Renault 1.4 pushrod engine (wet linered) as fitted to the Volvo 340. I'm sure it was the head bolt adjacent to the distributor we'd leave in. Maybe that was the location of a dowel. I can't remember. It was 1986!
nick205

posted on 30/11/15 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R
It was the method we used on the Renault 1.4 pushrod engine (wet linered) as fitted to the Volvo 340. I'm sure it was the head bolt adjacent to the distributor we'd leave in. Maybe that was the location of a dowel. I can't remember. It was 1986!

Did think of this approach, but the worry of disturbing the liners kind of makes me want to disturb them and remove them anyway!

The only engine I've built before was a 2.0 Pinto, which being cast iron and liner less was quite simple.

SJ

posted on 30/11/15 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I did a head gasket on my old Visa GT years ago and had no issues with the liners moving. Not sure how similar it is to the XU though. I just followed the instructions and bolted them down while the head was off.

Stu

nick205

posted on 30/11/15 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
I did a head gasket on my old Visa GT years ago and had no issues with the liners moving. Not sure how similar it is to the XU though. I just followed the instructions and bolted them down while the head was off.

Stu

There is that option, but having them out and refitting seems a proper job!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.