Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Acewell & type 9?
CraigJ

posted on 26/11/15 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Acewell & type 9?

Has anyone managed to get the 2 wire Acewell speedo input working with a type 9 gearbox cable drive?
AndyW

posted on 26/11/15 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I did think about this but just used a magnet on the prop and the two wire sensor. Works perfect.
coozer

posted on 27/11/15 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
I tried using the electronic output from a fwd box with the burton adapter on mine but the Acewell wouldnt read it. Not sure if it was the reading or lack off power to the sensor. Didn't look much further, just stuck a magnet on the prop yoke at the gearbox end.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

CraigJ

posted on 30/11/15 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Think i'm just going to have to go with the magnet I think then.

Thanks.

russbost

posted on 7/12/15 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
It depends which Acewell you're intending to use. All of them are simply "looking" for a square wave "make & break" signal, hence why they work perfectly with the magnet & reed switch supplied. If using with a gearbox transducer the make & break signal is at a much higher frequency, maybe 50 times a revolution on some gearboxes, this is too fast for the older Acewell processors & would work up to a low speed then misread due to the processor frequency being exceeded.

Slower processors are in the cheaper/older units (generally), 1600, 3xxx series, 2xxx series, 258 & 260, if you go for any of the newer/more expensive units you get the faster processor & these will all work perfectly with any gearbox transducer producing a square wave signal (nearly all OE units) these are the 268, 278, 4xxx, 5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx, MD052 (52mm gauges), MD085 (85mm).

Nearly all OE transducers are hall sensors & have 3 wires, a 12v +ve feed, an earth, & the signal wire, easy to identify the first 2 so you only have 1 left which has to be signal, connect that to the green wire on Acewell & earth the other speed signal wire (usually black) on the Acewell, set the "P" screen (the no. of pulses per wheel revolution which the Acewell is expecting to see) at around 30 & your tyre circumference ("C" screen) at whatever it is, say 1750mm & you will get a reading, it's then simply a case of fine tuning against a GPS on phone or satnav to get the unit accurate, use the "P" screen for coarse adjustments & the "C" screen to fine tune, you can make the unit as accurate as you want, we normally set them around 2% out so that at a genuine 70mph you will be reading between 71 & 72, that way you're fine for IVA & a bit safer through speed cameras. Unfortunately we can't give accurate figures for the "P" screen as it differs from one manufacturer to another - typically the transducer will generate around 4000 pulses per mile travelled.

If you want to see all the Acewell units available check our website furoreproducts.co.uk & remember we can always do you a better deal when dealing direct on 07905 879407 - Acewells make great Xmas presents!

As a matter of interest can anyone confirm for me what cars the type 9 was fitted to where it would have been fitted with the electronic sender?

[Edited on 7/12/15 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mark100

posted on 20/2/16 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
so will a revotec adaptor from burtonpower (m12 threaded square drive )
mate to an acewell ACE-s2 ( m12 threaded square drive ) to give electrical signal ????
and if so whitch do I need as it states two different ones for 90 landrover and one for 110 series ????

russbost

posted on 20/2/16 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have a link to the revotec adapter on Burton, I couldn't find it.

The Ace s2 is used where you want to keep the existing square drive AS WELL as the drive to the Acewell, ie you want the original cable driven speedo to still work as well as the Acewell, personally, never really seen the point, if you just want the Acewell then an S12 would do the same job & is much smaller/neater. The reference to 090 & 110 is the type of plug on the wiring, you would want whichever one matches the Acewell you have, the 110 plug is translucent white & rectangular the 090 is opaque white & oval

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mark100

posted on 20/2/16 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
couldn't get the link to copy over but serch in burton power site ( top left corner )

Type 9 speedo revotec
its the only thing that comes up
ill have a look at the 7859 I got form you a while ago ill have to dig the box out the loft when I get home
cheers

russbost

posted on 20/2/16 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit mystified by their picture & description - they say "provides an electronic signal" but the picture is of a female square drive within what looks to be the M18 screwthread they mention, I can't see anything electronic about it & no wiring, if you click on the link to the catalog the picture that comes up underneath the revotec is much more what I would expect from their description, but that is apparently a standard ford sensor - am I being a bit thick or what?
If it provides an electronic signal then you wouldn't need the Ace S12 as that is to convert a cable drive (m12) to give the required signal for the Acewell, sorry if I'm not being much help on this one

If you can get a standard Ford sensor to fit the type 9 then I think that's your easiest route if you don't want to use the magnet & reed switch sensor provided in the kit

Mark100

posted on 20/2/16 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Your right its just an adaptor to let you join a sensor on and it is m18 1.5 not m12 so is there a s12 type sensor in m18 size or is it use the pricey ford sensor and rejig it for the acewell How hard would that be
02GF74

posted on 20/2/16 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if thus has been answered but i converted speedo drive on 4 speed ford for racetech, not same as yours but principle is the same i.e. generate electrical pulses.

You can buy ekectronic sender that fits instead of speedo drive then it may need simple circuit to supply correct signal to speedo.

In my case, it being locost builders i madr my own sender, lumiwrld bits of aluminium with a chpper wheek on a brass spindle running in a beating, four fkats hand filed on thr spunde, pretty crude.
A small magnet and hall srnsor interrupted by thd chopper wheel tk supply pulses.

Sorry for bad typing, on mob dev but will cotrect later.

garyt

posted on 21/2/16 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi here is a link that covered a bit on the type 9 with the revote adaptor , with a Mondeo speed sensor

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=171882

hth

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

russbost

posted on 21/2/16 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
If you have the original cable drive & it works then it is actually quite easy to use this to create a signal using the reed switch & magnet provided, if for any reason that can't be done, you still have the cheapest option of using the magnet & sensor on a driveshaft, hub, brake disc, prop etc. All of the Acewell cable drive adapters are intended for use on bikes, they don't make anything specific for cars simply because there was never any consistency in what manufacturers fitted.

If, for whatever reason you don't want to go that route then I wouldn't have thought it would be hard to find an OE Ford sensor second hand (they are not something that's likely to go wrong), in fact I would have thought a post on LCB asking for one would almost certainly find someone who has a spare kicking round their garage for a few beer tokens.

Once you have the sensor it's just 3 wires, a +ve feed, an earth & the signal wire which connects to the green Acewell wire, the black Acewell wire just goes to earth

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.