Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota COP
mini-sprite

posted on 28/11/15 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota COP

I'm switching from wasted spark and a coil pack to individual COP. I have 4 coils from a Toyota (4 wire see photo)

I'm using megasquirt and have a loom supplied by the guy who built the megasquirt. In the loom there are 2 spark output wire labeled A & B. I was expecting to wire them like this for sequential firing.

It doesn't seem possible with the loom i have. I can add the extra wires myself but if i use it as is, it would be wasted spark COP?

Paul

britishtrident

posted on 29/11/15 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
On 3 and 4 wire COO the switching transistor is in the COP
On a 3 wire system the connections are power, permanent ground and the control wire which Toyota call IGT. (Ignition Timing)
The 4th wire on Toyotas is IGF for ignition confirmation by the Toyota ECU continuous monitors.

Power, Ground and IGF are common between the COPs.
IGT is individual to each COP on most systems I have worked on it is green+colour
IGF is normally the yellow pin 2

The IGT is normally square wave 0 to 4 volts, the coil fires when it falls to 0 volts.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mini-sprite

posted on 29/11/15 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
On 3 and 4 wire COO the switching transistor is in the COP
On a 3 wire system the connections are power, permanent ground and the control wire which Toyota call IGT. (Ignition Timing)
The 4th wire on Toyotas is IGF for ignition confirmation by the Toyota ECU continuous monitors.

Power, Ground and IGF are common between the COPs.
IGT is individual to each COP on most systems I have worked on it is green+colour
IGF is normally the yellow pin 2

The IGT is normally square wave 0 to 4 volts, the coil fires when it falls to 0 volts.

So really if IGT is individual these are the wires that would go to spark ABCD in the loom to the megasquirt? Which is my initial head scratcher as the loom only indicates spark A and B. This would suggest that although the megasquirt has 4 coil drivers it is

1. 4cy Semi-Seq Fuel & Wasted Spark with 4 coils (COP)

and not

2. 4cy semi Seq Fuel and Seqential COP (Coil on Plug) Ignition

I would prefer to run with option 2 as i plan to turbo at a later date (once i get enough signatures to upgrade my race licence) i might as well just run a Bosch coil pack in wasted spark as i had on my last redtop engined racer.

Paul

britishtrident

posted on 29/11/15 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Of course it would be much simpler to use 2 wire waster spark as per BMW & Rover kv6
Personally I have never found wasted spark a problem even wasted spark cop.

[/I]

mini-sprite

posted on 29/11/15 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
COP wasted spark it is then.....that kind of simplifies it which is good as i understand that

Paul

When i buy car parts i go on the premise that 'it is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission'

mini-sprite

posted on 30/11/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.sq-engineering.com/tech-articles/coilpack-info-guide

if i'm understanding it right pin 3 IGN would not be needed for megasquirt?

When i buy car parts i go on the premise that 'it is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission'

britishtrident

posted on 30/11/15 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
IGF is an output to the ecu purely for fault monitoring. Not required.

The problem is 3 and 4 wire coils are driven by a 4 to 5 volt square wave input on IGT which switches a transistor built into the coil , istr the magnetic field builds when the square wave goes high and fires when the square wave drops to zero.
Normal coils and 2 wire coil packs have a continuous 12v supply shared by all coils on the engine the coil is charged when the individual coil negative is connected to earth and the spark fires when the earth circuit is cut.

[Edited on 30/11/15 by britishtrident]

[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.