Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bending tubes
LBMEFM

posted on 17/12/15 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bending tubes

Always lots of talk on here re: Roll bars which I find interesting as I am considering building a full cage for my MK. While it looks fairly straight forward, one question, how do you bend the tubes?
big_wasa

posted on 17/12/15 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
With a about a grands worth of tube bender.

LBMEFM

posted on 17/12/15 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Oh well, I'll give that idea miss then.
blakep82

posted on 17/12/15 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Mandrel tube bender, NOT with a hydraulic pipe bender

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mark chandler

posted on 17/12/15 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Draw up what you want, contact tubebender on eBay and take delivery of a nice flat pack ready for you to assemble.

You will struggle to find someone local who will compete on price and he carries the correct CDS tube.

Talon Motorsport

posted on 17/12/15 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
What are you going to use the rollcage for proper FIA 750MC racing, track day use or some thing to put a roof box on for road use? I make NASA Autograss roll cages from 32x2.5 and 42.4x2.5mm ERW and they hit telegraph poles at 60-80mph.
It's not about the machine you use it's about using the correct type of TUBE former not a pipe former it just depends how pretty you want it look and how much you want to spend. I use a record plumbers former and one of the 12 ton £60 benders with plenty of grease and knowing where to put the pins.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 17/12/15 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Draw up what you want, contact tubebender on eBay and take delivery of a nice flat pack ready for you to assemble.

You will struggle to find someone local who will compete on price and he carries the correct CDS tube.

Yep I thought about investing in the bender but it just does not make any sense for one or two projects.

I think I need two hoops for a midlana chassis.

mark chandler

posted on 17/12/15 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
£100 hydraulic bender from eBay will put a curve into scaffold pole (thick wall tube), use it on thin wall CDS and you end up with the internal bend crimped up which will fail MSA specs.

That ERW bend looks like it's started to crimp on the inside.

To bend thin wall CDS you need a bender that draws the bend, not one that just pushes a former into it.

There is a big weight penalty using thicker tube than is required, a flat pack cage in CDS should not be more than £150 really.

It's also quite hard to bend in the same plane so the finished hoop lays perfectly flat, muck it up and your tube is scrap.

nb/ I have a 12 ton bender as I used to make cages when racing landrovers with thick walled tube where weight was not so critical, for my little car I pay the money.

[Edited on 17/12/15 by mark chandler]

iank

posted on 17/12/15 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

Photo's on his website http://www.tube-bender.co.uk/

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

bi22le

posted on 17/12/15 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
On a related note once you have received your flat pack how could you go about putting accurate fish nouth cuts on the ends?

I have read about CADing up paper templates but to do this you would need to map your car dimensions very accurately.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mark chandler

posted on 17/12/15 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I cut mine with a 2" hole saw then trimmed, hold the pipe against the work to get the angle of the pilot hole.

You can also wrap a piece of card around the pipe, offer into position and chop this with sissors until perfect then slide down, mark the pipe with the card template and use the angry grinder.

Hole saw needs a firm grip on the drill as it will Buck!

Make sure you can access each part with the welder, easy to box yourself in.

It's one of those things you dread doing, but once into it becomes easy

[Edited on 17/12/15 by mark chandler]

AdrianH

posted on 18/12/15 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
If doing a roll hoop you certainly do not want to get sections and weld them in you may be able to hide the fact there are welded, but will you have the strength.

I built a bender for 1 3/4inch CDS tube and it worked out OK
http://www.tamarisktechnicals.com/pages/tubebend.html

and there are hydraulic benders on Ebay for eBay Item less then £300

Adrian

[Edited on 18-12-15 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Rosco86

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
another vote for tom at tube bender, he will do the notches as well if you tell him

My Build Thread

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.