Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this snake oil or April fool
jacko

posted on 19/12/15 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Is this snake oil or April fool

Someone at work says you can buy 240v sockets that you can fit any where in a house and a master socket that sends the power to them by micro waves
has anyone see such a thing ?
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 19/12/15 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Gulable fool by the sounds of it..

Tesla invented wireless transmission of ac leccy way back but its never took off.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

r1_pete

posted on 19/12/15 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Complete tosh

Sounds like he's having you on.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 19/12/15 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Complete tosh

He's not having me on as i don't believe him but you never know with technology these days

blakep82

posted on 19/12/15 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Complete tosh

He's not having me on

Yet you had to ask?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jacko

posted on 19/12/15 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yes because you lot know every thing
maccmike

posted on 19/12/15 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yes your definitely gullible
Slimy38

posted on 19/12/15 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
To me it sounds like a variation of something that is real. Someone has made a camera that is able to power itself from the same wifi network that it connects to. The idea is that it can be mounted remotely and self power.

However, the scale is a little off powering mains voltage. For example, it takes just over half an hour to gather enough power to take one photo and transmit it!!

So not quite complete tosh, but quite a significant exaggeration!

mark chandler

posted on 19/12/15 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy a plate that you plaster into the wall that can run a small TV (you need a large area for the receptor) from a couple of inches away, in the real world not practical.
gremlin1234

posted on 19/12/15 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
crystal sets used 'remote power' over 100 years ago
steve m

posted on 19/12/15 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got some in the spare room, never managed to get them working

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

steve m

posted on 19/12/15 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
But I did have a plug socket in my downstairs toilet, that was not powered by either mine or neighbours house, (were a semi)

I had it disconnected years ago, on the advice of an electrician to avoid and hassle,

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Wadders

posted on 19/12/15 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Someone at work says you can buy 240v sockets that you can fit any where in a house and a master socket that sends the power to them by micro waves
has anyone see such a thing ?
Jacko

Yes mate, pretty sure I've seen em for sale in the Locostbuilders shop

JoelP

posted on 19/12/15 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
This was in the news recently as a very new technology. As you can see from the majority of replies, people find it hard to believe these things even when we are used to amazing progress. I remember two times, ages ago, when i told someone about caller id and anpr, they called me gullible for believing it.

However, your friend has got the details a bit exaggerated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31091285

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

blakep82

posted on 19/12/15 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Wireless charging of phones and PlayStation controllers is a thing, but is much slower than plugging it in. Has to be very close too

I've yet to try and stick fluorescent tubes in the ground under power lines! That appears to work

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rf900rush

posted on 19/12/15 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Think what 3 minutes in an 800w micro wave does to your dinner. Then imagine what 3kw will do to you when it's beam to you socket.
snapper

posted on 19/12/15 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
A physics student was done some years back for building what was effectively half a transformer and sapping power from the grid from high tension cables near his residence
Respect
Have you seen the fluorescent tubes just shoved in the soil under a pylon that glow just from the electrical field grounding to earth

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

MikeRJ

posted on 20/12/15 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
It still surprises me just how little many people know about basic physics. The entire wireless power transmission has been massively overhyped in the last few years, with investors pouring money into ridiculous schemes that are clearly doomed to failure.

Cell phone charging from WiFi is a prime example. The usable power obtainable from the average WiFi router is very small even right next to the antenna, and the inverse square law means it falls very quickly as you move away. A few calculations show it would take months or years for a single charge. Harvesting energy over long periods for micropower devices this way is fine, but cell phones are not in this category.

Meredith Perry has suckered 10's of millions of dollars out of (frankly retarded) investors for her ultrasonic power transfer. She did a TEDx talk suggesting you didn't need to have any engineering skills to invent and develop revolutionary technologies, and now calls herself a "Technology Innovator". This is quite amusing as her scheme is so obviously doomed to failure that all the engineers she employed to design it have now left

Resonant inductive power transfer (e.g. the QI chargers) are relatively simple and well proven, but work only over short distances and the efficiency is still well below that of a simple cable.

Microwave energy transfer is entirely possible, and quite large amounts of power can be transferred for clear line of sight applications over fairly long distances e.g. 1km (diffraction limited, so antenna sizes become impractical at very long distances). However it is not practical for beaming power around a house, at the sort of power levels you'd want from a 13amp socket the power density in the beam would be very unsafe and any metal objects in the path would absorb lots of energy and get hot.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.