Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Starting issue
Lander

posted on 21/12/15 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Starting issue

Dear Collective,
I am beginning to wire up my Avon which has a 2l Zetec and type 9 gearbox. I couldn't resist turning the engine over however have an issue. When I trigger the starter it clicks and spins but didn't turn over the engine.
So I removed the starter motor and triggered it off the car, the starter shoots forward and spins as it should.
I reinstalled the starter triggered it again and it spins but doesn't turn the engine over as though it doesn't engage with the flywheel.
This set up came from a running car so I am very confused, am I missing something silly ??
Thanks, Ian.

HowardB

posted on 21/12/15 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
have you got the right starter for the rwd type 9, and the appropriate spacer?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Lander

posted on 21/12/15 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Howard,
It came from a running car so should work, that said I did removed it previously and there are some spacers on the bolts ... which are installed in a fashion that wouldn't space the starter away from the box. But I am thinking out loud here if they are installed between the starter body and bell housing won't that leave an open gap between the bell housing and the body of the starter ? Maybe need to go back out to the garage.
Ian

MikeRJ

posted on 21/12/15 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Should be a simple matter to measure the throw on the starter pinion and the distance between the start mounting face and the ring gear. Then you can work out if the pinion isn't reaching the ring gear, or is being thrown past the ring gear
HowardB

posted on 21/12/15 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lander
Hi Howard,
It came from a running car so should work, that said I did removed it previously and there are some spacers on the bolts ... which are installed in a fashion that wouldn't space the starter away from the box. But I am thinking out loud here if they are installed between the starter body and bell housing won't that leave an open gap between the bell housing and the body of the starter ? Maybe need to go back out to the garage.
Ian

As far as I recall there is a spacer needed to use the FWD starter on the RWD arrangement. If the engine/gearbox/starter arrangement was all working as a unit in the current layout when removed, then I think this is an unlikely cause.

Howard

Lander

posted on 21/12/15 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Howard = legend
Sometimes it is the silly things. Just been out and put the spacers actually between the starter and bell housing. Hey presto the engine turned over Will crack on with the wiring tomorrow, maybe first fire before the New Year isn't out of the question.

Thanks again

big_wasa

posted on 21/12/15 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB

As far as I recall there is a spacer needed to use the FWD starter on the RWD arrangement. If the engine/gearbox/starter arrangement was all working as a unit in the current layout when removed, then I think this is an unlikely cause.

Zetec / t9 if you use a pinto starter you need to space it out. If you use a rwd cvh / dohc starter then you don't need a spacer. Fwd starters are not a bolt on fit.

HowardB

posted on 21/12/15 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB

Zetec / t9 if you use a pinto starter you need to space it out. If you use a rwd cvh / dohc starter then you don't need a spacer. Fwd starters are not a bolt on fit.

Big Wasa is a true legend,..

Howard

jeffw

posted on 21/12/15 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto starter on a Pinto flywheel doesn't need a spacer either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.