Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Side pod design
Benzine

posted on 4/1/16 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Side pod design

Has anyone mounted a radiator at the side of their kit car in a pod? I'm considering doing this as nose cone space is about as available as a reasonably priced house to someone under 35.

Here's an expert rendering that gives an idea of the position:

(The surfer dude is me, heading back to my kit car after a hard afternoon on the beach)

Mounting it there, routing the pipes etc etc is all a doddle. The shape of the pod though, how critical is it? Shape/size of the inlet & outlet etc? (The one in the pic i just made looks similar to Kryten's head, it's mainly there to show position)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 4/1/16 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I know its generally not form over function on these cars but damn thats an ugly addition!

[Edited on 4-1-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Benzine

posted on 4/1/16 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just to re-emphasise, the final pod would look nothing like that At least nothing bad was said about my six pack

[Edited on 4-1-2016 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 4/1/16 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Could you maybe have a hole in the side panel, rad fitted in the hole, air ducted from the nose, out through the rad, and vented through a much more slim pod? Maybe one on each side?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Benzine

posted on 4/1/16 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Could you maybe have a hole in the side panel, rad fitted in the hole, air ducted from the nose, out through the rad, and vented through a much more slim pod? Maybe one on each side?

There would be room to do something like that, for sure. My exhaust goes over the chassis rail and could clear easily.

jeffw

posted on 4/1/16 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
You need to look at Single Seater designs for the proper solution to this. I suspect that the back of your 'scoop' needs to be open to let the air escape.

CNHSS1

posted on 4/1/16 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Also worth making the entry approx 30% smaller area than the rad core. This slows the flow as it expands to fill the greater volume and drops the velocity through the rad core which will increase the cooling effect. As Jeff says, the exit is as important as the entry so needs to have a clear path or itll stall the flow and you will overheat

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

daniel mason

posted on 4/1/16 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
My Jedi has one in each sidepod, but one will certainly be coming out!
belgian2b

posted on 4/1/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

Donkervoort did it with the oil cooler :

Gerardo

[Edited on 4/1/16 by belgian2b]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 4/1/16 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I put my oil cooler in a little pod on the side.
Thoresby TLT 1
Thoresby TLT 1

Not pretty but the cooling effect was massive.

I exited it into the floor as per rules about rearward facing vents in RGB (if it bursts you don't get a face full of scolding liquid)

What about a small rad either side with two little pods likea single seater?

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Bluemoon

posted on 5/1/16 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Better think about stones being thrown from front wheel, may not be an issue but worth avoiding this problem.

I think it will be difficult to make it look good, still you will not see it while driving..

Dan

nick205

posted on 5/1/16 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I believe F1 cars (and probably others) have radiators in the side pods, but then they look different to start with.

Can't see it being an issue performance wise, but it will take some styling to make it look right!

Sam_68

posted on 5/1/16 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
I exited it into the floor as per rules about rearward facing vents in RGB (if it bursts you don't get a face full of scolding liquid)

FWIIW, it's actually permissible to have the (water) radiator duct to vent upwards/rearwards on all 750MC classes, so long as the radiator pipes and hoses are shielded.

Ducts in the sides below a line joining the top of the front and rear wheel rims (not tyres!) are not restricted in any event, is my understanding?

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 5/1/16 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:

FWIIW, it's actually permissible to have the (water) radiator duct to vent upwards/rearwards on all 750MC classes, so long as the radiator pipes and hoses are shielded.

Ducts in the sides below a line joining the top of the front and rear wheel rims (not tyres!) are not restricted in any event, is my understanding?

Whether that's the rule or not (I built the car 5 years ago so memory is hazey) I have been scolded before by someone's 7 with a stupidly placed coolant system and wouldn't want it happening again, particularlg on my own car.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Sam_68

posted on 5/1/16 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Whether that's the rule or not (I built the car 5 years ago so memory is hazey) I have been scolded before by someone's 7 with a stupidly placed coolant system and wouldn't want it happening again, particularlg on my own car.

Fair comment, but the reason that the rules are framed the way they are is that a leak or damage to a radiator core is not generally going to release a large enough volume of coolant to scald you - its the risk of a hose coming off or a pipe fracturing that's the bigger problem. Hence if you shield the hoses and connections, as per the rules, you'll almost certainly be fine.

Neville Jones

posted on 7/1/16 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
The bigger question is, why is there not enough room up front?

People put rads in the front that cool V8's satisfactorily.

Oil coolers are easy enough to put behind the front of the chassis, and if necessary a fan(or two) from computer to keep them cool enough.

Cheers,
Nev.

garyt

posted on 13/1/16 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
what about something like this ?????

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

Sam_68

posted on 13/1/16 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyt
what about something like this ?????

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

That's got potential.

With some careful thought and a bit of extra triangulation it could double up as side impact protection and torsion box structures to stiffen up the cockpit section of the chassis, too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.