Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vortex with duratec
andyhaase1

posted on 8/1/16 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Vortex with duratec

Hi, first post so here goes.
I like the look of the vortex kit, particularly the inboard front suspension and round tube chassis. I also like the idea of a duratec engine rather than bike engine. Does anyone on here have one? Btw, I've no previous kit car experience except for a track day in a caterham last summer.
Andy

micksalt

posted on 8/1/16 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Best bet is to speak to Marc or Chris on 01423780196. What they will probably require you to do is to send the engine and chosen gearbox to them before your chassis is built. That way, they can make any adjustments to the chassis, and fabricate the pick-up points. When I picked up my kit, they were in the process of putting a Suburu Impreza engine into their chassis, which is particularly challenging given its width, so your Duratec should be a walk in the park.
andyhaase1

posted on 8/1/16 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mick,
I'm still researching so I don't have an engine yet, just looking at all the options. How does it work re registration if I were to build it myself with a used duratec?

micksalt

posted on 8/1/16 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you were to use a used Duratec, everything else would either have to be sourced from the donor of the Duratec, or be brand new to qualify for an age-related plate. I suspect the easiest way to make a used Duratec work is to also use a mk3 MX-5 donor, since the gearbox should mate straight up to it. The downside to this, however, is that you will end up on a Q-plate because you've got multiple donors.

The route I'm heading is a mk1 MX-5 1.8 donor car, but adding a third-party progammable ECU now, which should be good for 130-140 BHP. Then, later down the line, I can add a 3-bar MAP sensor, a supercharger and a new map to the ECU, then I'm good for 220 BHP without any internal engine modifications

[Edited on 8/1/2016 by micksalt]

mcerd1

posted on 8/1/16 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
A Q plate isn't all bad though

Kits don't generally carry the same stigma with a Q plate and currently the Q plate means just a visual smoke test at your MOT (although the IVA requires a test related to the engine age - so that's with a cat for any duratec)

-

micksalt

posted on 8/1/16 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've never really understood the Q plate stigma, particularly since it gives you much more flexibility come MOT emissions time. However, there does appear to be the stigma. Odd.
andyhaase1

posted on 8/1/16 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help, not too fussed about a Q plate. I was impressed with the caterham that I did the trackday in, although that was a racecar with a sequential box, I won't be going to that expense, too noisy as well!
So a mm 3 mx5 gearbox will mate straight up to a sheared? Is it better to get the fiesta st 150 motor or just any mondeo 2 litre? I read its best to remove it yourself so the electrics can be labelled up. And I would still need some other mx5 donor parts?

micksalt

posted on 8/1/16 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful with the Fiestas, what Ford call a Duratec in their smaller models isn't necessarily a Duratec in our eyes.
andyhaase1

posted on 8/1/16 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
St150 is duratec according to google. pumaspeed claim that their inlet manifold with a remap will produce 205bhp. I thought you had to fit throttle bodies to achieve that.
micksalt

posted on 8/1/16 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, that's good that you have confirmation. You will use the engine, wiring loom, ECU, keys, immobiliser aerial etc.. from the Fiesta, gearbox, prop shaft, diff, driveshaft, hub carriers, wheels, brakes, master cylinder, switches and steering column from the MX-5.
andyhaase1

posted on 8/1/16 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks, so that's the mark 2 or mark 3 mx5?
micksalt

posted on 8/1/16 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Mk3 for the straight fit to the Duratec.

[Edited on 8/1/2016 by micksalt]

sdh2903

posted on 8/1/16 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Careful though. As far as I'm aware the mk3 uprights, diff, brakes etc are all different to the mk1/2. The vortx is designed for a mk1/2 donor.
micksalt

posted on 8/1/16 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Careful though. As far as I'm aware the mk3 uprights, diff, brakes etc are all different to the mk1/2. The vortx is designed for a mk1/2 donor.

Indeed they are. However, if Roadrunner can accommodate the changes required, I'm sure it's no problem for Marc. Do contact them though to be sure.

sdh2903

posted on 8/1/16 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
They can barely handle turning out a serviceable standard chassis at present, let alone any custom stuff.
andyhaase1

posted on 8/1/16 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Think I'll arrange a visit to the factory, it's only around 30 minutes from me.
Are there any owners around the Leeds area.

Digimon

posted on 8/1/16 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
If you do spend the extra on a ST150 engine make sure its got the higher flowing cylinder head, they have one of the following codes

RF3S4G or RF6S4E

From SBD they say its worth 10-15hp

Welcome to the forum btw

andyhaase1

posted on 8/1/16 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the tips.
Sam_68

posted on 8/1/16 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of budget are you looking at, Andy, and when are you planning to purchase?
andyhaase1

posted on 9/1/16 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
hi sam,
I don't really have a budget as such, I just thought I would buy the starter kit around july or august, then start collecting and refurbishing the donor parts required. It won't be a quick build, I intend to take my time and enjoy the experience. I will do as much as I'm able to do myself, I only have a single garage so will have to be well organised. I understand its more cost effective to buy a complete donor but dont have the room.

andyhaase1

posted on 20/1/16 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
On Monday, I went to MNR for an unannounced visit as I was working not too far away and it was on my way home. (that is quite a remote location). I met Mark, and he showed me around the workshop, all the customers chassis and owners unfinished projects! They had some flooding over christmas and are still recovering.
Mark is a racer and was bigging up the bike engine option, but conceded its not ideal for the road. He said they can do a chassis for a duratec no problem, but they would need an engine first to do the mounts etc. For me, it was good to see a bare chassis and understand what goes into the manufacture process. Glad to say I am still keen to go for it!

andyhaase1

posted on 16/4/16 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Well, the project has started!
I bought a used fiesta ST engine yesterday, then went and got an engine stand to mount it on. Its a mountune spec engine so think it should be around 190bhp, should be a decent starting point. Let the stripping and cleaning begin!

big-vee-twin

posted on 16/4/16 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
The ST150 has larger valves and better gas flow head compared to the Duratec HE engine.

It also has the EGR valve blanked off and a standard flywheel, not a duel mass one.

My ST 150 is standard apart from the Jenveys and makes 193 HP.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

andyhaase1

posted on 18/4/16 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
http://http://i.imgur.com/7eh5hLR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YtrZNee.jpg

andyhaase1

posted on 18/4/16 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
http://http://i.imgur.com/WqAwAzl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9DNBbl5.jpg

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.