Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buildings and contents insurance
omega0684

posted on 11/1/16 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Buildings and contents insurance

Hi All,

It's been a while since i've posted and that because i have been uber busy on other projects, one of which is trying to escape the nest!

Now i have managed to get myself 4 brick walls i need some insurance!

Can any recommend a good building and contents supplier for first time buyers or is it a case of trawling the "compare websites"

All the best

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 11/1/16 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I just do a price comparison every year. But make sure your contents cover is plenty for the contents of your house. Apparently most people underestimate the cost of replacing everything.

I assume you own/mortgage the house rather than rent? If you are renting your landlord should cover buildings insurance.

cliftyhanger

posted on 11/1/16 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, try the comparison sites...
eg. Parents renewal from Saga came in at £1063(!!!)

trawl go compare, esure with same level of cover £169 (plus I get to keep the £35 cashback from quidco as we didn't buy via gocompare)

Our house, £168 down to £110 with Admiral.

Prices are rather random at times.

Watch out that you don't just tick boxes. A common error is if you have flat roof loft conversions, you need to see if that is OK (esure allowed slate, tile, concrete or asphalt roof, and that was handy as I think my parents were loaded up as they have large dormers)

Likewise don't get fooled into thinking low excesses are all they are cracked up to be. You claim for £200, you will get stuffed for the next few years on premiums. I always go for high excesses on that basis, and no accidental damage cover.

owelly

posted on 11/1/16 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
As Slimy says, don't underestimate the value of your contents! See here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=172711

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Brook_lands

posted on 11/1/16 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
On contents insurance look out for any restrictions on the level of insurance for things in garages/out houses/ sheds. Could be an issue for petrol heads. It is unlikely that a household contents insurance will cover car parts but it should cover tools and equipment if they are used for your hobby not trade. When one of my previous insurers reduced the level of cover for tools etc in the garage to a limit of £2,500 I was quite shocked when I totted up the cost of the kit in there, (don't tell the wife). I've seen garage/out house/ shed cover as low as £500. £2,500 or £5,000 is more common but make sure you have enough cover.
twybrow

posted on 11/1/16 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
Hi All,

It's been a while since i've posted and that because i have been uber busy on other projects, one of which is trying to escape the nest!

Now i have managed to get myself 4 brick walls i need some insurance!

Can any recommend a good building and contents supplier for first time buyers or is it a case of trawling the "compare websites"

All the best

Alex

As above, for our needs the important point is what is covered. I claimed against my policy this year and easily hit the £5k limit on a garage/shed contents. Also look at what is not covered - some wont cover 'tools of the trade', mine wouldn't cover my kayak or equipment as it counted as boating, yet they would cover anything related to sailing - very odd!

Well done on the purchase Alex. I look forward to the party!

bi22le

posted on 11/1/16 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
My insurer wont cover my kit car. Although its in bits a fair amount of the time.

" its still a vehicle"

Ill be renewing and stating this as a must next time round.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 12/1/16 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
As mentioned, be careful when valuing your stuff it would cost more than you might think to replace it all!

theduck

posted on 12/1/16 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Biggest issue is cover for garage contents. Tools and parts add up quickly so make sure whoever you go with offers adequate cover.
mcerd1

posted on 12/1/16 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
As mentioned, be careful when valuing your stuff it would cost more than you might think to replace it all!

...even the things you wouldn't necessary think about like carpets - even if they are something hideous that came with the house, they still cost money to replace if something happens (for me it was smoke damage from a neighbours fire)

other things cost more to replace than you think when you add them up - if I guessed that mine and the wife's music would cost £3 to £7 a CD to replace, then we'd be looking at ~£4k minimum probably more like £6k (and that's assuming cheap bargain bin prices on most of the old stuff - but I've got some that would be nearly impossible to find now...)
(BTW most policies don't cover loss of legal downloads)

when added everything up it was actually more than most providers offered as standard on the comparison sites (I guess that's deliberate to help make them look cheaper)

and as above shop around as much as you can, and again next year.
also most companies will match competitors quotes to get / keep you business - just like car insurance or phone contracts

[Edited on 12/1/2016 by mcerd1]

-

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 13/1/16 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for household insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.