Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle body heat insulation material
r1_pete

posted on 18/1/16 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle body heat insulation material

I need to make a heat insulator to go between my plenum and throttle body, for 2 reasons, 1 it'll help prevent heat soak to the IAT, and 2, it'll give me a touch more clearance.

I need something about 10mm thick, can anyone help with what material I need and any UK suppliers.

Cheers.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 18/1/16 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
PTFE would be ideal.
monkeyarms

posted on 18/1/16 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Nylon or POLYPROPYLENE ect

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R5.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0.X10mm+plastic.TRS0&_nkw=10mm+plastic+sheet&_sacat =0

[Edited on 18/1/16 by monkeyarms]

se7ensport

posted on 18/1/16 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Try these guys http://www.ferriday.co.uk/thermal-products/

It worked out about £60 for my Duratec inlet manifold

gremlin1234

posted on 18/1/16 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
once upon a time they used asbestos for this, very good for the purpose, but later found to have significant disadvantages.
coyoteboy

posted on 19/1/16 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Delrin, or maybe glass filled PTFE. Not raw PTFE or similar as it will have poor stiffness at higher temps.

HowardB

posted on 19/1/16 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
ptfe has a very high temperature capability, however it has low modulus and creeps very easily, that is why it is good as a thread sealing tape. Subject to the expected temperature, assuming that it is below 120C then Nylon could be used. Acetal/Delrin would work too. Despite working for a company that makes Nylon, I would probably be inclined to use a tufnol type material. A reinforced sheet laminate. This would be more stable and be less likely to degrade over time.

If you want some nylon drop me a PM I may be able to find some.

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

r1_pete

posted on 19/1/16 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice guys, I've done some googling using the keywords in the replies, came across a trend for using wooden spacers on V8 Carbed engines!!

Cotton phenolic sheet comes a close second to wood for thermal insulation, so I've ordered a £5 worth of Whale Tufnol, which seems have the right characteristics reading the specs.

Thanks again.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 19/1/16 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking back, my 2.0 Pinto was fitted with a Weber 32/36 DGV carb and had an insulation plate between the carb body and inlet manifold. Not sure what it was made of, but I kept it in place as I assumed it was meant to be there. Again working from memory it was brown in colour and appeared to be fibrous in nature.

wombat258

posted on 20/1/16 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for tufnol. Nylons, delrin and teflon will relax with heat.
atomic

posted on 22/2/16 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
A Phenolic resin sheet eg Tufnol (ideally Glass Fabric Tufnol) is the correct product to use.
r1_pete

posted on 22/2/16 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, yes I got an 8mm sheet of Tufnol, and made the spacer.

I've got the engine running now, and the Air temperature doesn't move as the engine warms up, just what I needed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.