Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: insurance moan
smart51

posted on 12/2/16 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
insurance moan

I got my insurance renewal from Privilage yesterday. £470 for a peugeot 108 sounded a bit much. Especially as I'd just insured my MR2 with them with zero NCB for £370. So I went on Money Supermarket and Privilage quoted me £270 for the Peugeot. I've just phoned them and after they checked their own quote said yes, you can have £200 off. Are they just scammers? They can knock 40% off the price with just a phonecall? Or is the insurance price computer they use just a random number generator?

[Edited on 12-2-2016 by smart51]

nick205

posted on 12/2/16 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
In my experience insurance renewals are set higher and they work on the assumption that a certain % of them will just be left to renew without query. I get a new quote every year to make sure of the best deal.

prawnabie

posted on 12/2/16 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I had a renewal for the westfield come through the post from A Plan for £220 which was £50 more than last year. I called them and didn't mention the letter - they quoted me the same as last year on the phone!
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 12/2/16 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
'Loyalty' accounts for nothing. Greed rules (as always).

##U increased the Transhit insurance to almost £500 (it's a 1996 2.5 MK5), and then automatically renewed it (without my consent).. and then threatened me with a penalty when I attempted to cancel it, lovely. This was after 8 no claims years with them, and included a 'loyalty discount'.

Aviva came back with half the above, and then sent a renewal this year that was the same.

Handman and Jim did the same on the old Land Rover after 12 years, so abandoned them in favour of Adrian Flux. If they send a renewal that increases dramatically, the process will again continue. Oh Joy.

Meanwhile, I see the BT monopoly offers for Broadband everywhere - 'New Customers Only'.

Aggghhh!

David Jenkins

posted on 12/2/16 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
I've had the same experience with house insurance - been with one company for ages, only seeing tiny increases in premium year by year, then suddenly there's a massive hike. Queried it and got a bland "that's what it is" so went elsewhere and cut £200 off the previous year's premium. This year, with the current company, the increase in premium was about £1.

MikeRJ

posted on 12/2/16 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Are they just scammers?

IME yes they are. They are the biggest chancers going when it comes to renewal, and of all the shady practices that insurance companies are guilty off, this one annoys me greatly because it's so blatant.

macc man

posted on 12/2/16 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same experience with Privilage 2 years running. When I challenged the increase they instantly lowered the price to the same as the comparison site. They said it was I technical issue. I will not use them again.
mcerd1

posted on 13/2/16 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've had this nearly every year, sometimes only £50 other times nearly £300 extra

Tesco insurance told me once that it was a new customer discount, and they couldn't give me it again, but they would match other quotes if I threatened to leave (they were Surprisingly honest about it) this is back when they were run by one of the RBS group companies (alot of different brands all run the same way)

This year I was shocked when both the home and car insurance renewals were cheaper than I could find anywhere else
(axa and Tesco) maybe they've given up after getting them to match /beat quotes so many times.....

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.