Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx12r DIY sump and baffle mods, experience. Lotus 24 monocoque
rodoe

posted on 25/2/16 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
zx12r DIY sump and baffle mods, experience. Lotus 24 monocoque

Hi there,
this is my first post so please be gentle (I've done a fair bit of searching but to no specific avail)
I'm building a 1960's Lotus 24/ Elfin Mono monocoque style single seater track day car. Already have a ZX12R engine for it.
This is a true budget build with estimated cost to build at $5k using mostly second hand parts and all diy where possible.
Anyway, exchange rates (Australia, basically double what you pay in pounds) prohibit me from buying a billet sump from AB or Nova:- ,, so hoping someone has drawn a sump mod and baffle for this. I could stump up for the swivel , which i would like to use.
Can others tell me of there experience , tricks and 'watch out for' using the ZX12R please.

SPYDER

posted on 25/2/16 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I picked up this print of the Lotus 24 on Sunday at Stoneleigh...

twybrow

posted on 25/2/16 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have a homemade baffle, shortened sump and an accusump on my ZX12. I still suffer surge especially under sustained braking. I don't think my baffle is perfect, so I have bought one from AB Performance which along with a tweak to my Accusump setup I expect to sort it. I have done quite a few track days and more than 1500 road miles with the current setup, and the engine still sounds as good as it ever did...m
rodoe

posted on 25/2/16 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your comments Twybrow. May I ask how you shortened the sump and how deep it is now (any photos on hand?)? Do you think a swivel pick up would work any better?
Thankyou

twybrow

posted on 25/2/16 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
U2U me your email address and I will send you some I have to hand. I had mine cut and welded my a fellow LCB member - you just need to find someone you trust to do some tig work on the sump. It meant cutting the bulge from the sump, and welding a plate on, as well as relocating the drain plug. A swivel pick up (could) would be good, but I didnt have the funds for one, so went accusump instead.
Sam_68

posted on 25/2/16 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I can't help you with the sump baffling, but having looked at similar ideas myself, I think you might struggle to fit a 4-cylinder bike engine within the width of a monocoque chassis if you use the same approach as the early Lotus, of using twin 'booms' projecting out behind the driver:

Ideally you need an engine that's no wider than the driver's backside (max. 400mm). If you make it wide enough between the booms to fit a transverse 4-cylinder bike engine, the tub starts to look very wide and bloated. I went in the direction of a V-twin, which is just about narrow enough, but if you're definite about using the ZX12R, maybe think about a tubular spaceframe from the roll bar bulkhead rearwards?

Surely a monocoque Lotus 24 would make it a Lotus 25, by the way?

Jeano

posted on 26/2/16 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I still suffer surge especially under sustained braking. I don't think my baffle is perfect

how do you know your suffering from surging?

Drives: MK Indy F20c with hairdryer

twybrow

posted on 26/2/16 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeano
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I still suffer surge especially under sustained braking. I don't think my baffle is perfect

how do you know your suffering from surging?

I have a manual pressure gauge teed into the low pressure sensor.

rodoe

posted on 26/2/16 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Sam68, you are correct, Lotus 25 and 27. I'm more aquainted with the Elfin mono.
Did you actually build a monocoque with the v~twin? Do you have photos?The Suzuki TLR1000 was going to be my choice but the zx12r came up extremely cheap and complete, so grabbed it.
Yes i know it is too wide for the standard size Lotus 25 rear chassis pontoons. I am considering the rear to be made with tube. Not too sure yet. The aim is not so much speed as looks, that veing said, the ZX12R will be quick .

Sam_68

posted on 26/2/16 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodoe
Did you actually build a monocoque with the v~twin?

No the designs are on a sort of second back burner, at the moment!

We're at the prototype construction stage with a more conventional (spaceframe, front-engined, 2-seater) car that I've designed for a company who're aiming at production next year. Then my 'traditional' (Lotus 27-esque) road-legal single-seater concept developed into a 'contemporary' version - sort of an ultra-light, small-capacity BAC Mono - that uses a much rationalised and updated monocoque structural concept, which I want to build first. I've done a certain amount of practical development work and testing on the tub fabrication concepts for that, but it's been set aside at the moment in favour of the commercial project. I may hopefully get back onto the traditional '27' design at some later stage, but the way things are going with other pressures, it seems increasingly likely to be a retirement project!

For both single-seaters I am/was looking at the Aprilia V-twin, which has the advantage of being dry-sumped as standard (so no baffling mods to worry about there!!), but I understand that Aprilias are regarded as somewhat rare and exotic Down Under?

You need more rain (ideally mixed with the traditional British blend of mud, cowsh*t, white lines and potholes)... we have a limitless supply of crashed superbikes over here!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.