Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Epileptic fit
nick205

posted on 11/3/16 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Epileptic fit

Bugger!

Suffered another epileptic fit last Monday in my local Tesco Express.

The downside is another 12 months not driving, which sucks. The upside is the staff and other customers were outstanding, got me off the shop floor and called an ambulance. Had to spend the night and next day in hospital, but work were understanding and I can still walk and talk - could have been worse!

A recent change in anti epileptic medication could be to blame, but I have been feeling OK otherwise. One of my issues is that I get no warning of a fit and tend to pass out and fall when I have one. This is a risk, but again it could be worse.

Fingers crossed I stay fit free and return to driving again (I dislike trains and buses quite a lot, although I don't miss the cost of running a car).

loggyboy

posted on 11/3/16 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Best of luck mate. Really hope things start to improve.

Mistral Motorsport

Stevie_P

posted on 11/3/16 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Gutted to hear this Nick though, as you say, things could be worse.

It's good to see work have been supportive as well.

All the best
Steve

SteveWalker

posted on 11/3/16 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck.

We're just waiting to see how our eldest son goes. He's not been diagnosed as epileptic, as he's only had one fit (3 months ago) and been fine since. That one was a stormer though - down like a felled tree, tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure for 7 minutes and when it stopped, so did his heart and his breathing! Luckily I was right by him when it happened and could call my wife through and, although she's a psychiatric nurse now, she used to be a general nurse and had spent a long period on a chest ward, so she saved him.

Considering the severity, the NHS is being very reluctant to scan him for other possible causes.

Our main worry is that he has over an hour of travel to school and the same back each day and if anything happens then he is unlikely to get help fast enough. Meanwhile, I am working 120 miles away and can't drive him and my wife is unable to drive as she's awaiting an operation on her wrist (due next week) and can't accompany him anyway as he's got two younger brothers that she's got to get ready and to school.

The longer it goes on, the more comfortable we are feeling though.

leon51274

posted on 11/3/16 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Feel for you mate.

I had a seizure probably about 10 years ago now while asleep one night, didn't know anything about it until the paramedics brought me around and then realized I'd fallen out of bed smashed my shoulder up and my tongue looked like it had been through a shredder, not pleasant! Fortunately It was a one off that apparently everyone is entitled too!

All the best

AlexXtreme

posted on 11/3/16 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck Nick.
My wife was in the same situation so I know a bit what you are going through... good luck!
Alex

britishtrident

posted on 11/3/16 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Life is a ...... sometimes.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 11/3/16 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind words guys, it does mean a lot!

Football and RC car racing tomorrow at the local park, which should be good.

pewe

posted on 11/3/16 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Nick, sorry to hear that.
If I haven't already suggested it maybe consider wearing a bicycle helmet or maybe a bump cap - at least your head's kind of protected if you do pass clean out?
The guy my daughter met on a bus in Reading was wearing one for just that reason.
If it's any consolation my better half has responded well to medication and things are getting back almost to normal - so we've booked a holiday.....

SteveWalker - I'm surprised but not surprised your local NHS is dragging its feet over further diagnosis.
At your son's age IMO they ought to be putting themselves out to ensure his future well-being.
Given most Authorities are well served for scans nowadays I suspect someone's penny-pinching, potentially to his detriment.
Maybe it's a case of them who shout loudest? Contact your Local councillor or MP to push his case forward?

Cheers and all the best to each, Pewe10

LBMEFM

posted on 12/3/16 at 04:34 AM Reply With Quote
Keep strong mate, all the best for the future.
nick205

posted on 13/3/16 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Battery tech is a little behind the times IMHO, but I've had a fab time in the park with my RC car going flat out.

nick205

posted on 13/3/16 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Nick, sorry to hear that.
If I haven't already suggested it maybe consider wearing a bicycle helmet or maybe a bump cap - at least your head's kind of protected if you do pass clean out?
The guy my daughter met on a bus in Reading was wearing one for just that reason.
If it's any consolation my better half has responded well to medication and things are getting back almost to normal - so we've booked a holiday.....

SteveWalker - I'm surprised but not surprised your local NHS is dragging its feet over further diagnosis.
At your son's age IMO they ought to be putting themselves out to ensure his future well-being.
Given most Authorities are well served for scans nowadays I suspect someone's penny-pinching, potentially to his detriment.
Maybe it's a case of them who shout loudest? Contact your Local councillor or MP to push his case forward?

Cheers and all the best to each, Pewe10

Initially I had to wear a bump helmet in hospital so been there and although I didn't enjoy it it was a good tactic for head protection.

I've thought about it now and am looking to buy a new cycle helmet for better head protection. Wearing a bump hat generally seems defeatist, but could save another head injury.

perksy

posted on 13/3/16 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear this

I work with a lad who suffers these and its horrible when he has one
He's pretty heavily medicated and iirc he had one when they last changed his drug regime

Hope all works out ok for you

jtskips

posted on 13/3/16 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
wishing you the best of health for the future nick best regards john
Adamirish

posted on 13/3/16 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Best of luck mate, I do hope you get sorted.

It's crap having these things you can do absolutely nothing about. Just one of those things you have no choice with. Not in the same league but I am 33 years old and have rheumatoid arthritis and have done for the last 5 or 6 years. Another one of those things i had no choice with.

Modern medicine is pretty good though so hopefully you can find something that will help you.

On the plus side though, you got to go RC car racing! It's always good fun but nearly as expensive as proper cars!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

nick205

posted on 14/3/16 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish

It's crap having these things you can do absolutely nothing about. Just one of those things you have no choice with. Not in the same league but I am 33 years old and have rheumatoid arthritis and have done for the last 5 or 6 years. Another one of those things i had no choice with.

Modern medicine is pretty good though so hopefully you can find something that will help you.

On the plus side though, you got to go RC car racing! It's always good fun but nearly as expensive as proper cars!

Indeed, the RC car, although fast, was not cheap!

It runs on Li-Po batteries, which again aren't cheap. Personally I don't think battery makers have caught up with current battery demands. The batteries take a long time to charge and don't work for very long when running either. It was however great fun and the car held up perfectly with no damage to it - good news!

As per a U2U conversation on epilepsy I'm toying with the idea of building a kit whilst I can't drive. It's something I know I can do and get the kids involved with as well. Hopefully my current medication rota will abate the fits and allow me back to driving (haven't driven since December 2014 so far). One of my biggest concerns is starting the whole insurance scam again with a new licence and no no claims bonus. It doesn't look inviting, but such is life!

trextr7monkey

posted on 14/3/16 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Great plan to do a build Nick, driving is more than getting from A to B my wife sees some of her patients for HGV medicals and it is hard telling people they can no longer drive when it is their livelihood.

Steve Walker can you home school your son for a bit so at least your wife is about until you do get some sort of diagnosis

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

loggyboy

posted on 14/3/16 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

It runs on Li-Po batteries, which again aren't cheap. Personally I don't think battery makers have caught up with current battery demands. The batteries take a long time to charge and don't work for very long when running either. It was however great fun and the car held up perfectly with no damage to it - good news!

Go Nitro - I picked one up a few years ago and its so much easier just topping a tank up and off you go again. Its also more 'tinkerful' getting the carb set up - but not too fiddley for anyone with a half technical mind.

Mistral Motorsport

Adamirish

posted on 14/3/16 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Haha very true, I run a few nitro cars. Got into 1/8th nitro off road racing which was fun. Still have the car and all the kit. I have an Sworkz S350 evo, it's built like a tank. I hit a ply board wall at the end of a straight so likely 50-60mph, never did any damage whatsoever! Amazing for something that is mostly made of plastic!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

nick205

posted on 14/3/16 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Go Nitro - I picked one up a few years ago and its so much easier just topping a tank up and off you go again. Its also more 'tinkerful' getting the carb set up - but not too fiddley for anyone with a half technical mind.

Oddly enough I did look at Nitro cars when buying, but something made me go electric. Should probably suck it up a bit and buy/charge more batteries for longer periods of activity.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 14/3/16 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

As per a U2U conversation on epilepsy I'm toying with the idea of building a kit whilst I can't drive. It's something I know I can do and get the kids involved with as well. Hopefully my current medication rota will abate the fits and allow me back to driving (haven't driven since December 2014 so far). One of my biggest concerns is starting the whole insurance scam again with a new licence and no no claims bonus. It doesn't look inviting, but such is life!

Hi,
Sorry to hear about this.
If you decide to go down the kit car route I'd be more than happy to try and help out with insurance. Insurance is the last thing you need to worry about.
I'm sure we'd be able to help.
Regards,
Dan.

nick205

posted on 15/3/16 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
quote:
quote:

Hi,
Sorry to hear about this.
If you decide to go down the kit car route I'd be more than happy to try and help out with insurance. Insurance is the last thing you need to worry about.
I'm sure we'd be able to help.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the offer of help with insurance, could be very helpful in the future. You're right I shouldn't be worrying about it, just the practical side of this condition is fairly harsh with little or no real help from the DVLA (just doing their jobs I suppose).

Thanks again and I may well call on you if I go down the kit build route!

Cheers
Nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.