Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY fibreglass painting
Joshy

posted on 17/3/16 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
DIY fibreglass painting

I'm getting close to the stage where I'll need to paint my GFRP bodywork (I'm leaving the ali un-painted). What are my options for a DIY job?

I have some experience painting GFRP with rattle cans, specifically a human powered submarine of which I was project manager during my final year at university. I'm wondering if there is a slightly more pro way of doing it however?

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/3/16 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Just etch prime and spray with your paint of choice.
Plenty of advice on the mig-welding forum.

You do need a decent sized compressor, but the cheapish sprayguns do give good results. Do your research on what paint, I think you can get a plasticiser additive that may be handy (though that may only be for 2K stuff)

Talon Motorsport

posted on 18/3/16 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Getting a good pre any thing surface on GRP to work with in the first place would be where I spend most of my time, I use a DA sander with scotch bright type pad but a few hours spent using a lot of elbow grease may keep you fitter! Self etching primer for steel seems to work well as a base if allowed a day to dry then high build primer, cut it back and smooth with 1000 grit wet dry panel wipe clean. Don't forget that fine coats laid over a few sessions is easier to correct if it goes wrong than correcting the one big heavy coating that leads to runs. One day I will write that on the wall to remind myself!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tweek

posted on 24/3/16 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately not much help to you given your location, but these guys have a professional paint booth for hire and give lessons: http://ramp-it-up.co.uk/

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

Neville Jones

posted on 25/3/16 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Scuff with 600 paper, then a coat of Awlgrip epoxy primer.

Good enough for most commercial aircraft, and certainly most serious yachts.

Don't let the Awlgrip harden more than 4 days, or you'll be sanding forever to get a final paintable surface. Hard as glass. From too many years experience of the stuff, but I still keep using it, and it can't be bettered for most uses.

Cheers
Nev.

IanSouthLincs

posted on 3/5/16 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
^^^what he said^^^ personally find epoxy primer gives a much better sealer coat and therefore better base for your top coat or base/ clear whatever you're going to finish with

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.