Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Information About Trailers
omega0684

posted on 29/3/16 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Information About Trailers

Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying a trailer but i don't know a thing about them. I'll be pulling with a my Passat Estate which has plenty of grunt but won't be towing anything bigger than the kit car and tyres for track days, rolling road session etc. those trailers with the tyre rack on look tidy.

what is the difference between between single axle and twn axle trailer (yes i know one has two axles) but what are the benefits etc better balance/ nicer tow?

what sort of price should i be looking at?

should i stick with a known brand? Brian James? Don't know any others!

Any help would be welcome?

Anyone got one for sale close to Coventry?

All the best

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 29/3/16 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Single axle have a lower weight capacity but will be far easier to man handle if pushing / pulling on your tod.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

skydivepaul

posted on 29/3/16 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
The main difference between a single axle and twin axle is the twin axle are more stable, easier to manoeuvre with a car. Harder to turn by hand
They will be easier to load a car on and off as they are more stable.

Buying advice, buy the best you can afford. Don't buy a cheap one just because it is cheap
I once bought a cheap trailer and it overtook me on the m1 and put me down the banking.
Admittedly I did overload it!

I would stay away from home made trailers built from caravan chassis. Not that I have anything against them if they are built right
But as a trailer novice go for a pro built unit.
You don't have to go with a Brian James trailer , I would make sure it is galvanised, well built unit
My checklist would be
Does my car fit on it
Galvanised
Twin axle
Braked
Handbrake works
Winch
Space for tyre rack - locker for spares
Long ramps for loading low clearance cars
Tie down points
Spare wheel
Light board works

[Edited on 29/3/16 by skydivepaul]

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

daniel mason

posted on 29/3/16 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Bj minno is a great trailer for kits. And the 1380kg max gross is nice for the post 97 test passers

[Edited on 29/3/16 by daniel mason]

JoelP

posted on 29/3/16 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Twin axle is much better if you burst a tyre.

My best advice is to take weights and speed limits seriously. Losing control isn't fun.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

lsdweb

posted on 29/3/16 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Spend as much as you can - trailers (especially the top brands) hold their value well, especially if you look after them.

Wyn

skydivepaul

posted on 29/3/16 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Spend as much as you can - trailers (especially the top brands) hold their value well, especially if you look after them.

Wyn

+1 what he said ^^^^^^^^^^

The last trailer I bought, I used it for two years and sold it for the same price as I paid for it

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

colin99999

posted on 29/3/16 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Twin axles are easy enough to manoeuvre, certainly when empty, if you wind the jockey wheel down enough to lift the front axle off the ground. Having run a good home made galvanised jobbie and a Brian James Clubman, the BJ tows so much better and has a higher load capacity for base similar weight given the better, more complex design.

Consider car and trailer plated weights too to keep it all legal, sensible and above all safe. Snaking is a nasty situation to get into, especially when travelling downhill!

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be...

myke pocock

posted on 29/3/16 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Give these guys a call.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05202247

I bought my twin axle trailer from them a couple of years ago. Similar price to Brian James or Ifor Williams but superior in my opinion in many ways. Tows an absolute treat with my Skoda Estelle trials car and I have also tried it with my Class 8 VW Buggy on as well. (NO, not at the same time!!!) They used to sell on ebay but cant see them on there at the moment. Sometimes they may have demo models at reduced prices also.

hkp57

posted on 30/3/16 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
I Bought a Woodford twin axle last year, added a tyre rack, Jerry can box and the center deck from the options list.

It tow's perfect and as other said here when its empty raise the front on the Jockey wheel and it moves by hand no problem.

Best all round trailer I have ever had, also use it for motorbikes now with aftermarket front wheel clamps bolted to the deck.

http://www.woodfordtrailers.com/#!lightweight/c17nm

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

mark chandler

posted on 30/3/16 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
I have owned a mixture of 2 & 4 wheel trailers over the years, a big Ivor Williams 4 wheel will tow well all day any load but is heavy, a poorly constructed trailer will tend to snake around.

My trailer of choice for light cars is 2 wheels, light and easy to tow although will be load sensitive so once you have the optimum position worked out use fixed length straps (I use chains) to load the car, over 750kg load I would go 4 wheels.

Trailers with a short drawbar are the ones to avoid, I needed a trailer to fit the footprint of my car so made my own

Trailer tilted
Trailer tilted

It cost around £900 to make using new parts and materials.

Also when loading keep the weight low, my spare wheels go under the bed.

Regards Mark

nick205

posted on 30/3/16 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I've not owned one, but my Dad has several, both single and twin axle. As above the twin axles are more stable and easier to load/unload, but harder to man handle around. Single axle trailers are easier to manhandle and in my experience tow OK if well loaded. As also said, buy the best you can as cheap ones will be cheap for a reason - they're probably not that good!

I've towed with Transits and once a Passat estate 140bhp diesel - both towed fine although it's fair to say they have to be worked quite hard engine wise with the extra weight. Without trailer the Passat is more than fast enough and drives well IMHO.

mazie

posted on 30/3/16 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is a ex-caravan chassis conversion, seems solid enough but have only used it once for a half hour trip, just to make sure im happy for a longer trip. Had to get the nose weight right but it seems very stable .

Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/3/16 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Before you jump at a big double axle trailer you need to be very careful of your legal towing weights. Both for your licence and car capacity.

This is why I'm building my own lightweight trailer, so it's light enough to tow behind my Mercedes Citan. It keeps it legally within my licence and vans capacity with car on it.

If you have a old mans car licence you can tow most things, if you have a newer licence you can only tow 3.5 tonne including car weight, trailer weight and Kitcar weight. Tall order if you have a heavy tow car and heavy trailer (impossible)

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.