Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My IVA story
metel matt

posted on 2/4/16 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
My IVA story

So I had my IVA test yesterday in Cardiff and got a fail on some silly little things. The day started at 5.30am when I got up left home at 6 to get to Cardiff for 8am. The car was loaded up onto a car transporter from a friend the night before because I desidded I didn't fancy driving down the m4 without having my car tested and getting to Cardiff like an ice cube or wet.

So at arrival we unloaded the car and was ready to got at 8.30. First thing was to check the VIN number and build plates. Then a quick look in the boot and fuel tank. With that being all good it was straight onto the rollers and the speed test. Must say I've never seen a car doing 80mph standing still.
So this was my first fail the speedo was bang on at 35, 40 and 50 but 1 mph over at 60 and 70. A bit gutted but that is going to be the hardest to sort out with being able to check.

Next was onto the ball and sharp edges he grabbed the ball had a good walk and look around and put it back down he only painted out the I needed to make a cover to go over my ECU under the dash with a sharp edge. So that was fail number 2 but anuther easy fix. He then had a good look under ther bonnet asked a few questions and was happy.

Next was onto the ramps checked all the lights all good. Then ub we went he had a good look underneath had an good look around asked if I could press the brake peddle hard to check for any leaks. All good. We went down he asked me to jump out and the car went back up. He asked me to have a look underneath and there was 1 bolt on the lower suspension a little short not in the nylock. So that is number 3 but Easy fix longer bolt (big woops on me).

Next was the head lights thus was my next fail number 4. He couldn't make a pat turn out but he is happy with the lenses so suggested trying butter bulbs.

He then asked if I had driven it much. Not really so we went out side wied the car check the mirrors check the selfs centering all good and the wormed and beded the brakes in. Onto the brake test no problem all good then onto emissions and flew thru then onto noise and flew thru. And all done.

On loading the car back onto the truck he came out and asked if I had a leak and as a found a small pool of oils and the brack rollers. So had a look underneath and one of the back flexes were leaking. This comes over a fail number 5 but I also need to redo the brake test when I have my re test.

Oh one more he wasn't happy just having nylocks on my bias brake bar he would rather it if I could use locking wire. That make fail number 5 but another easy fix.

All in all no a bad experience and only a few things to sort out

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124541083@N02/
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/50/viewthread.php?tid=202165

snowy2

posted on 2/4/16 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
the pattern problem is not uncommon even for MOT's fit the bulbs that came with the lights, (i assume you upgraded them for brighter ones.) an awful lot of bulbs are very cheaply made and to a low standard, they can be really awful in every day use, bright but then so is a saerch light.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

phil m

posted on 2/4/16 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Only a few smallish things to sort out.

looking forward to the pass at the re test. Hoot the horn as you go me near M4 j48

CosKev3

posted on 2/4/16 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Not a bad list!well done

Ref the speedo,I thought they were OK to over read slightly?
Or do you mean yours is under reading?

kingster996

posted on 2/4/16 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Not a bad list!well done

Kev the speedo MUST over read a little - so 'bang on' is a fail. Mine was bang on too at IVA, but I was allowed to tweak it on the rollers until it was just over.

Pretty easy fixes (if the speedo is electronic anyway) - good luck with the retest.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

metel matt

posted on 2/4/16 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Snowy
My head light have the bulbs that came with the lights I wasn't going to go for a brighter bulb but try and get a better quality one to see if I get s better pattern

Coskev
I did go through the this with my tester you can shoe a under true speed but not over so when my car was at 70 the true speed was 71 making it 1mph over. A bit of a Liam in be ass to be onest because that is nothing and in not sure how I can get around it. I was just looking a maybe getting some dails and just slightly moving it around

CosKev3

posted on 2/4/16 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yours is under reading,hence the fail.
If your cars real speed was 70mph and the speedo showed 71mph that is over reading,if your cars real speed is 71mph and the speedo shows 70mph the speedo is under reading.

quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
quote:
Not a bad list!well done

Kev the speedo MUST over read a little - so 'bang on' is a fail. Mine was bang on too at IVA, but I was allowed to tweak it on the rollers until it was just over.

Pretty easy fixes (if the speedo is electronic anyway) - good luck with the retest.

I had it in my head it could over read,but didn't think it 'had' to over read?

metel matt

posted on 2/4/16 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
It took my a bit of thinking on this one like I said it's not a lot to be out on the speedo but any suggestions on how I count fix it would be grate
davidimurray

posted on 2/4/16 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Well done, a good fail with not much to sort. Is Bob Stafford still the inspector there. I found him very helpful and fair when he tested mine a few years ago.

When I set my speedo, I measured the wheel circumference, then worked out the RPM in each gear for each speed. Then I popped the car up on 4 axle stands and ran it up to the rpm and checked the speed. Sounds scarier than it is!

Gallery 1 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116893465324.130778.601005324
Gallery 2 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245243755324.181913.601005324&l=a9831a9319
Gallery 3 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440671625324.232627.601005324&l=3f0d42c523
Gallery 4 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490098255324.297598.601005324&l=efb083b7df
Gallery 5 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150244028550325.366987.601005324&l=583fd5cd3a
Gallery 6 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150550640070325.430417.601005324&type=3&l=fe779b358c
Duratec Engine Swap https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f " target="_blank"> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f

CosKev3

posted on 2/4/16 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
What speedo set up are you using?

If it's not programmable perhaps different profile tyres will sort it

SteveWalker

posted on 2/4/16 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Is the speedo a dial type and can you get it open? If so, just pull off the pointer and re-fit it 2 or 3mph further round.

The reading is not permitted to be lower than the true speed, but it can read way higher than true (true_speed/10+6.25).

metel matt

posted on 2/4/16 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
[quote
Is Bob Stafford still the inspector there. I found him very helpful and fair when he tested mine a few years ago.

David. Bob is still there and yes I found him a big help fair and easy to talk to

I'm using the mx5 cluster but I've just taken a spare cluster I had apart ant the needle has got a spiral Spring behind it so I don't really Saint to unset it butt it does look like a can turn the dial itself around so should be an easy fix just need to be carful

CosKev3

posted on 2/4/16 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Those springs are a pain,my bruv in law put some dial faces on his impreza and could never get speedo reading correctly afterwards due to that spring uncoils itself when you pull the needle off,needs the correct amount of tension on spring when refitting or needle has a mind of its own.
Unless you can lock/clamp the spring before removing the needle to ensure correct tension when refitting?

scott h

posted on 2/4/16 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
What speedo set up are you using?

If it's not programmable perhaps different profile tyres will sort it

Borrow some lower profile tyres for the retest. Then when your speedo reads 70 mph the rollers will say less which is what you want.

Irony

posted on 2/4/16 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a pretty good fail so congrats. A couple of points you failed on would have passed by other examiners. My speedo is bang accurate up to whatever they test to. Examiner even warned me to be extra vigilant with speed cameras. He also said locking wire on brake bias bars discourage people from altering poorly setup brakes. So he prefers nylocs.

Each to their own!

Rosco86

posted on 2/4/16 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
well done, nothing major to sort, you will be on the road in no time!!

My Build Thread

loggyboy

posted on 2/4/16 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996

Your tester was mistaken.
RS are:
4. The speedometer must not indicate a speed less than the true speed.
5. The speedometer must not indicate a speed that is in excess of the true speed plus the permitted tolerance in the chart below.

Mistral Motorsport

snapper

posted on 3/4/16 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
So to clarify the speedo test
The speedo must show the exact true road speed or read higher than road speed
The is to provide the driver with a speed reading that means he will never unknowingly be traveling faster on the road than the speedo is showing
I.e. Speedo reads 70 road speed is 68, I'm doing less than the speedo and not exceeding the legal road speed limit

I drive pool cars that have calibrated speedo's I compared these with a variety of gps devices and found they read true, not under not over
There of course can be some margin due to tyre wear, different tyres or even tyre heat but they are close enough not to conflict with 1mph increments

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

avagolen

posted on 3/4/16 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Headlight problem.

I had a problem with the headlights on my Fury. The items I bought at one of the shows looked ok, but I could not get
a good cut off on one of them.

After a lot of mucking about, I noted that the bulb locator ring was not in the same place with reference to the
prisms of the lens. I bought a new pair of lenses / bowls and the difference was tremendous.

It looked like the original units ( made in China) were copies of the new ones and the prisms of the new ones were far
better defined and the position of the bulb holders was identical to each other.

The headlights were a dream to set up with the new units.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

metel matt

posted on 7/4/16 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the pointer. any way onto the head lights and I could not get them to shoe a beam pattern no matter what I did so had to bight the bullet and buy some new lenses and hopefully that will work out fine.

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/50/viewthread.php?tid=202165
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124541083@N02/

metel matt

posted on 13/4/16 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
So had a play around with one of my fail points last night the lights. I ended up buying new lenses and the difference is very noticeable

The head light pattern on the left side is the pattern that fail from buying cheep I guess and the right is with new lenses and you can see the line that they are looking for.

[img]http://[/img]

So got my retest on Friday and that is all my little jobs all done.

Rosco86

posted on 13/4/16 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
sweet! you will be on the road in no time!!!

My Build Thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.