Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice required on Navara
Lightning

posted on 13/4/16 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Advice required on Navara

I'm looking at buying a Nissan Nivara.
It looks like early ones D22 and D40 engines had bearing and crank issues.
I'm looking at buying a 2007 -2008 model which I believe had mods to the shells

I also hear that there are corrosion issues on the chassis rails by the rear bed.

Can any advise if the is correct and what to look for

Any advise much appreciated

Steve

Steve

Nickp

posted on 13/4/16 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1hijOHhB3Q

Get a Hilux

hizzi

posted on 13/4/16 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
tread carefully with navaras, research carefully different models and issues then buy a hilux, navaras and l200 are heavy on fuel as well.
r1_pete

posted on 13/4/16 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hizzi
tread carefully with navaras, research carefully different models and issues then buy a hilux, navaras and l200 are heavy on fuel as well.

Really!!

I average mid to high 30s, here's my 2010 Raging Bull showing 38.7, a bit optimistic, probably nearer 37.

bull display
bull display

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
obfripper

posted on 13/4/16 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
The bottom end issues are mostly cured on the later engines, there are some issues with the timing chain as they reduced the chain width from duplex to simplex, resulting in stretched chains where the oil has not been changed frequently enough. Billcar engineering can supply a retrofit duplex chain kit as well as the earlier engine rod bolts.
I have seen 07 and 08 ones which have required major chassis welding between the rear shock mount areas and where the bed meets the cab but not all are affected so close inspection is required - if it has been used for heavy towing they can crack the chassis at the frontmost bed mounting with no apparent corrosion.

Dave

BigFaceDave

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
We've got a 07 crew cab one at work coming up for sale shortly that we've had from new, don't know much about it only driven it a few times, it was the bosses then his son got it but doesn't like it so I believe it's coming up for sale if your interested let me know and I'll get more details, but if it's ever needed anything it's just been done.
gregs

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
friend's son's navara left the rear 1/3 of it's chassis behind last week.... had been used for regular heavy towing but even so...
Shooter63

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
A company that I used to work for ran all types of jap 4x4 King cabs, I drove them all except the hilux. All drove like tanks, used fuel at the same rate ad were noisy in the cab, to be honest I can't remember one redeeming feature on any, as a side point, on some mini roundabouts you had to take 2 bites to get round, this really made you popular with the local home boys.

Shooter

Lightning

posted on 13/4/16 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

Useful!

Steve

Jon Ison

posted on 13/4/16 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I went through the same process a few months back, went for a L200 in the end, so far very happy with it, tows a treat too
nick205

posted on 14/4/16 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
May we ask what purposes you have that need it?

If it's towing there are perfectly adequate cars, but if it's hauling big items then it might be necessary to have a pickup. That said my old Passat B6 estate never let me down in loading and shifting things.

Lightning

posted on 14/4/16 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nead a commercial vehicle for tax purposes

Already have T5 van converted to camper

Don't want to drive around in an ordinary van

Steve

MikeRJ

posted on 15/4/16 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'd rather drive a Transit or Transporter than a Navara or L200. They are horrible things as a daily driver, though quite amusing on slippery roundabout when unladen as a colleague found out recently (ended up facing oncoming traffic )

[Edited on 15/4/16 by MikeRJ]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 15/4/16 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I know this sounds like the standard internet trait of just trying to get you to do what I have done but if you are going for a pick-up why not go to where they do pick-up best.... 'murica!

Instead of a bouncy Navara with a rough Diesel you could have a super smooth F150 with a Auto box, convert it to LPG and you'll spend less on fuel as well. You get a much bigger load bed (min is 2.5m x 1.75m) loads of equipment, an Auto Box and much more comfy suspension.

I've got a Chevy 1500 and I love it, it may be 20 years old but it has loads of equipment and its a nice place to be. Plus it sounds awesome.

The downside is LHD... well I say downside but I don't really notice, with a column shift Auto the only difference is learning to look up and right for the rear view mirror.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Andy B

posted on 15/4/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have had 4 Navaras now - and I dont really know why
First D22 rodded at 90,000 - known crank/shell issue
Second D40 ran for 75,000 - no issues before trading in
third D40 did dual mass flywheel (expensive) followed by diff and transmission issues - traded at 80,000
fourth - now attempting to run new Navara teckna - bought new have managed two months on the road since september, rest of time at dealers being fixed - has covered 5000 miles and done 3 diffs and 2 driveshafts. Nissan customer care shite, service woeful and vehicle is now being rejected as not fit for purpose. Lost the vehicle nearly 3 months ago and been palmed off with a vauxhall sofira loan car before getting an L200 after kicking up a stink. L200 courtesy vehicle is cheap and plasticky, down on grunt and generally nasty but seems to return far better mpg than Nissans offering.
Now have new 3.0 D4D Hilux on order - we will see
There is an entire facebook page dedicated to people at log aheads with Nissan over the rear bucks snapping off the back of the Navara - search Nissan snapped chassis group.
Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.